    transfers. All computers are running 100 Mbps connections (as confirmed by
    NIC readouts). QoS is disabled. Any ideas?

    TIA

    mhicaoidh, Oct 4, 2003

  2. mhicaoidh

    pcbutts1 Guest

    So what's your problem?

    "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote in message
    news:KJBfb.36478$%h1.24419@sccrnsc02...
    > I have a LAN on a 100 Mbps network. Recently when transferring a 800

    MB
    > file from one machine to another, I checked the network usage display in
    > WinXP. It showed that only 15% of my total bandwidth was being used for

    the

    pcbutts1, Oct 4, 2003

  3. mhicaoidh

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, pcbutts1 mused:

    | So what's your problem?

    Nothing, other than I would have expected it to use more than 15% ...
    Though, I have since been reading that there are a lot of other factors
    involved than just the speed of the network. So, it would appear to be
    normal.

    mhicaoidh, Oct 4, 2003
  4. mhicaoidh

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:18:15 GMT, mhicaoidh wrote:

    >Taking a moment's reflection, pcbutts1 mused:
    >|
    >| So what's your problem?
    >
    > Nothing, other than I would have expected it to use more than 15% ...
    >Though, I have since been reading that there are a lot of other factors
    >involved than just the speed of the network. So, it would appear to be
    >normal.

    100Mbps is not a guarantee of operating speed, the LEDs show a hardware
    link status. It's also hard to swamp even 10Mbps (let alone 100), with
    a single application. If you had 5 PCs all copying big files (to from a
    server) on a switched setup then you will see more bandwidth in use on
    the server side at least.

    Don't have figures handy (it was a year ago), but I think a 10Mbps link
    was about 12.5% between a AMD K6/2-500 and a P4 1.8GHz. Increasing this
    to 100Mbps did little as the older PC could not keep up.

    However between some newer kit on Gb, it's a paltry 8390kbps.

    Me

    why?, Oct 4, 2003