Network Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Bruce, Oct 30, 2006.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    I run into the problem of a database admin for a Web based system
    telling me that people in (pick a building) are having issues with the
    app being slow, and since he can access the application from our
    building (Where the server resides for this app) very fast, he wonders
    if it may be a bandwidth issue. I have very limited tools at my
    disposal such as PRTG and Whats Up Pro. I don't see any bandwidth
    issues, and point that out. I am not real hip on passing the buck, and
    would prefer to be able to know conclusively is it something todo with
    latency, bandwidth or something else network related.

    I am looking at something like the ethereal school, but don't want to
    waste money on learning the wrong skill, and still not know how to
    determine the cause of a problem like this, when one exists.

    I would appreciate any and all commends to recommend a topic to study,
    learn, course, software, school etc that would be the correct
    discipline to learn how to troubleshoot this scenario.

    Bruce D. Meyer, CCNA, MCSE
    Network Analyst
    City of Columbia
    Bruce, Oct 30, 2006

  2. Bruce

    stephen Guest

    "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > I run into the problem of a database admin for a Web based system
    > telling me that people in (pick a building) are having issues with the
    > app being slow, and since he can access the application from our
    > building (Where the server resides for this app) very fast, he wonders
    > if it may be a bandwidth issue. I have very limited tools at my
    > disposal such as PRTG and Whats Up Pro. I don't see any bandwidth
    > issues, and point that out. I am not real hip on passing the buck, and
    > would prefer to be able to know conclusively is it something todo with
    > latency, bandwidth or something else network related.

    1st issue is - is there an issue at all?

    measure it from both places - prefeably on the same PC (ie a laptop is
    easiest).

    then use that as a baseline to see if there is a problem worth
    investigating.

    > I am looking at something like the ethereal school, but don't want to
    > waste money on learning the wrong skill, and still not know how to
    > determine the cause of a problem like this, when one exists.

    any sort of sniffer is great for analysing what a particular problem is -
    once you can pick out the traffic involved.

    if you want to learn this stuff, then i really like the Laura Chappell
    ebooks.
    http://www.packet-level.com/

    > I would appreciate any and all commends to recommend a topic to study,
    > learn, course, software, school etc that would be the correct
    > discipline to learn how to troubleshoot this scenario.

    the hardest thing to apply to IT problems (ie - before you even figure out
    they are network problems) is common sense :)

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl
    stephen, Oct 30, 2006

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    I just visited Laura Chappell's web site. Very nice stuff. I appreciate
    the help.

    Bruce, Oct 30, 2006