Network Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Bruce, Oct 30, 2006.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    I run into the problem of a database admin for a Web based system
    telling me that people in (pick a building) are having issues with the
    app being slow, and since he can access the application from our
    building (Where the server resides for this app) very fast, he wonders
    if it may be a bandwidth issue. I have very limited tools at my
    disposal such as PRTG and Whats Up Pro. I don't see any bandwidth
    issues, and point that out. I am not real hip on passing the buck, and
    would prefer to be able to know conclusively is it something todo with
    latency, bandwidth or something else network related.

    I am looking at something like the ethereal school, but don't want to
    waste money on learning the wrong skill, and still not know how to
    determine the cause of a problem like this, when one exists.

    I would appreciate any and all commends to recommend a topic to study,
    learn, course, software, school etc that would be the correct
    discipline to learn how to troubleshoot this scenario.

    Bruce D. Meyer, CCNA, MCSE
    Network Analyst
    City of Columbia
    Bruce, Oct 30, 2006

  2. Bruce

    BernieM Guest

    "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    >I run into the problem of a database admin for a Web based system
    > telling me that people in (pick a building) are having issues with the
    > app being slow, and since he can access the application from our
    > building (Where the server resides for this app) very fast, he wonders
    > if it may be a bandwidth issue. I have very limited tools at my
    > disposal such as PRTG and Whats Up Pro. I don't see any bandwidth
    > issues, and point that out. I am not real hip on passing the buck, and
    > would prefer to be able to know conclusively is it something todo with
    > latency, bandwidth or something else network related.
    >
    > I am looking at something like the ethereal school, but don't want to
    > waste money on learning the wrong skill, and still not know how to
    > determine the cause of a problem like this, when one exists.
    >
    > I would appreciate any and all commends to recommend a topic to study,
    > learn, course, software, school etc that would be the correct
    > discipline to learn how to troubleshoot this scenario.
    >
    > Bruce D. Meyer, CCNA, MCSE
    > Network Analyst
    > City of Columbia

    what's the topology?
    BernieM, Oct 31, 2006

  3. Bruce

    Guest

    BernieM wrote:
    > "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > >I run into the problem of a database admin for a Web based system
    > > telling me that people in (pick a building) are having issues with the
    > > app being slow, and since he can access the application from our
    > > building (Where the server resides for this app) very fast, he wonders
    > > if it may be a bandwidth issue. I have very limited tools at my
    > > disposal such as PRTG and Whats Up Pro. I don't see any bandwidth
    > > issues, and point that out. I am not real hip on passing the buck, and
    > > would prefer to be able to know conclusively is it something todo with
    > > latency, bandwidth or something else network related.
    > >
    > > I am looking at something like the ethereal school, but don't want to
    > > waste money on learning the wrong skill, and still not know how to
    > > determine the cause of a problem like this, when one exists.
    > >
    > > I would appreciate any and all commends to recommend a topic to study,
    > > learn, course, software, school etc that would be the correct
    > > discipline to learn how to troubleshoot this scenario.
    > >
    > > Bruce D. Meyer, CCNA, MCSE
    > > Network Analyst
    > > City of Columbia
    > >

    > what's the topology?

    I've been there before, as have probably half the people here. I've
    tried explaining results of a sniffer trace and have seen the old "deer
    in the headlights" stare. Once the server or application admin gets
    past what they understand easily, all they hear is that it is something
    with the network.

    I have found the best thing to do after I get the network out of the
    picture as the problem is to run iPerf. Put the server part on a
    windows machine near the server, or on the server if it is Windows.
    Run the client from a laptop near where things are slow. If you get
    about 75 Mbps between the server and the clent parts, tell them that
    there is a lot of free bandwidth.

    In my exerience saying, "I've looked at the sniffer traces and the
    delays in the responses to queries are much longer than the time needed
    to see an acknowledgement packet, therefore it seems likely to be an
    application problem" gets you nowhere. Saying, "Look, there's 75 Megs
    of bandwidth to your server from here" will get an acknowledgement that
    it might not be the network and a thank you for checking it out.

    You have to make sure that you've checked things out though. If you
    know it's not a bandwidth issue it is a helpful tool and gives people
    something they can understand. If you haven't ruled it out, it is just
    a bluff. You'll be found out if you use it too often.
    , Nov 9, 2006