    What determines when an icon for a computer gets added to the Network
    Neighborhood group?

    TIA
    Lowly Engineer, Feb 21, 2006

  2. Lowly Engineer

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 05:58:46 -0800, Lowly Engineer wrote:

    >I have 10 computers on my home network. Some are on 24/7, some are
    >not.

    That's nice, it matters what OS not?

    Actually it does, keep the PC with the newest ver on Win on 24/7 or turn
    it on first.

    >When I access those computers, sometimes their icons get automatically
    >added to the Network Neighborhood screen.
    >
    >If they are in that group, and they aren't turned on, it takes a very
    >long time to bring up the screen when I wish to view the network. If

    None of my watches or clocks measure time in units of 'very long time'.

    >I delete the icons for the machines that aren't running, access times
    >
    >Is there a way that I can reduce the timeout so that network access
    >doesn't take so long when machines are OFF? All the computers are
    >fast, and on a GigE network, so that short timeouts shouldn't present
    >a problem.

    What's the GigE have to do with anything?

    >What determines when an icon for a computer gets added to the Network
    >Neighborhood group?

    That's a big story, try searching for -

    NetBIOS , Network Neighborhood , Browse List , Browse Service.

    Lots of URLs often posted for homenetworking sites, search

    Me
    why?, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Lowly Engineer

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have 10 computers on my home network. Some are on 24/7, some are
    >not.

    Specify OS and network protocol.

    >When I access those computers, sometimes their icons get automatically
    >added to the Network Neighborhood screen.
    >
    >If they are in that group, and they aren't turned on, it takes a very
    >long time to bring up the screen when I wish to view the network. If
    >I delete the icons for the machines that aren't running, access times

    How long in minutes?

    >Is there a way that I can reduce the timeout so that network access
    >doesn't take so long when machines are OFF? All the computers are
    >fast, and on a GigE network, so that short timeouts shouldn't present
    >a problem.
    >
    >What determines when an icon for a computer gets added to the Network
    >Neighborhood group?
    >
    >TIA

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Feb 22, 2006
  4. On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:33:23 +1100, Jimmy Dean <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 05:58:46 -0800, Lowly Engineer
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>I have 10 computers on my home network. Some are on 24/7, some are
    >>not.

    >Specify OS and network protocol.

    XP Pro - completely updated tcp/ip

    >>When I access those computers, sometimes their icons get automatically
    >>added to the Network Neighborhood screen.
    >>
    >>If they are in that group, and they aren't turned on, it takes a very
    >>long time to bring up the screen when I wish to view the network. If
    >>I delete the icons for the machines that aren't running, access times

    >How long in minutes?

    About 45 seconds.

    Lowly Engineer, Feb 22, 2006
  5. I should also state that all network addresses are static.
    If all machines are turned ON, then "Network Neighborhood"
    comes up instantly. Only when one or more computers are
    turned OFF do I get the delay.
    Lowly Engineer, Feb 22, 2006