    How on earth can a network just stop working, with no change of settings?

    I actually can use the LAN now, with manual set-up (I just have the IP's
    as 192.168.0.1-2). But internet sharing won't work.
    niwa, Dec 23, 2006

  2. niwa

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    niwa wrote:
    > This is a very bizarre case. My home network suddenly stopped working in
    > the middle of use. With no change of settings or anything.
    >
    > I was using computer 2, which connects via computer 1 to the internet.
    > Internet ground to a halt, and the LAN also suddenly stopped working.
    >
    > Internet still works on computer 1.
    >
    > I originally set up the LAN and internet sharing automatically. I worked
    > fine for years. Now I can't set it up any more using the XP auto set-up.
    >
    > How on earth can a network just stop working, with no change of settings?
    >
    > I actually can use the LAN now, with manual set-up (I just have the IP's
    > as 192.168.0.1-2). But internet sharing won't work.

    Is it a wireless set-up?

    You should use a router instated of ICS. The router is faster, easier to
    setup and is more secure.
    Mr. Arnold, Dec 23, 2006

  3. niwa

    Scoresby Guest

    niwa wrote:
    > This is a very bizarre case. My home network suddenly stopped working in
    > the middle of use. With no change of settings or anything.
    >
    > I was using computer 2, which connects via computer 1 to the internet.
    > Internet ground to a halt, and the LAN also suddenly stopped working.
    >
    > Internet still works on computer 1.
    >
    > I originally set up the LAN and internet sharing automatically. I worked
    > fine for years. Now I can't set it up any more using the XP auto set-up.
    >
    > How on earth can a network just stop working, with no change of settings?
    >
    > I actually can use the LAN now, with manual set-up (I just have the IP's
    > as 192.168.0.1-2). But internet sharing won't work.

    Ahh that would be Winblows standard procedure - Microsoft rules.
    Everything will stop working at some point. It creates more jobs, and
    more $$ for MS.
    Scoresby, Dec 23, 2006
  4. niwa

    niwa Guest

    niwa, Dec 23, 2006
  5. niwa

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    niwa wrote:
    >> Is it a wireless set-up?

    > No, just 10 metre twisted cable.
    >
    >> You should use a router instated of ICS. The router is faster, easier
    >> to setup and is more secure.

    > I was just looking at routers actually... having to have BOTH computers
    > on to use the internet grows tiresome. What do you think of this one
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/D-Link-DI-52...7QQihZ002QQcategoryZ14962QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    >

    > ($50 US)

    There is nothing wrong with a D-Link. But if you're going to get a
    router, then get one that has a syslog capability so that you can use
    something like Wallwatcher (free) and watch the traffic to and from the
    network for dubious remote connections to WAN/Internet IP(s). You should
    make sure the router has a warrantee.

    http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/

    I like the Linksys WRT54G as it's a FW router and it has more abilities
    to protect the network with it's FW features, than a plain old NAT
    router with wireless abilities.

    You should go to the Web site of any router product you're interested in
    and compare product spec. sheets with other brand name and models like
    Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc.

    You should be aware of some of the wireless security aspects in
    protecting the wireless home network.

    It's a little help and better than none at all, which most wireless home
    user are not aware at all.

    http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm
    Mr. Arnold, Dec 23, 2006
  6. niwa

    niwa Guest

    Thanks for that info, btw I assume the 2 computers can connect to each
    other via the router?
    niwa, Dec 23, 2006
  7. niwa

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    niwa wrote:
    > Thanks for that info, btw I assume the 2 computers can connect to each
    > other via the router?

    You get a NAT wire/wireless AP FW router and the machines will be able
    to share resources on the LAN (Local Area Network) wire to wire, wire to
    wireless and wireless to wireless. They all will be able to access the
    WAN (Wide Area Network)/Internet as well. The router will protect the
    network from attacks from the Internet.

    I am sign off now. I am on may way back to OhiO for the holiday weekend.

    Mary xmas to you, your family and have a happy new year.
    Mr. Arnold, Dec 23, 2006