    one is connected to it directley through thge e3thernet cable.

    thanks

    alex
    =?Utf-8?B?QWxleA==?=, Nov 8, 2006

  2. Hi

    The solution that you are looking for is called NAS.

    Almost all of the Entry Level NAS units have unsavory limitations.

    This is an old page but it describes some of the trepidations (
    http://www.ezlan.net/nas.html ). I actually use, the "Clunky" old D-Link it
    is so slow that I can "Cry", it is fast enough to be used as a Audio
    Streaming server. Otherwise. I use it a backup device, and set it to it to
    work during off time.

    One of the main issues of most of these units is Speed. While the Data
    sheets would state the working speed of the core Hardware (100Mb/sec/) the
    actual network bandwidth using these units is "crawling".

    There are also issues of flexible sharing, and security as well.

    So depending on how you are planning to use such a device you have to be
    careful in choosing, or buy a Mid-Level above $500 device.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 8, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QWxleA==?=

    David Hettel Guest

    That wouldn't happen to be a D-link DI-624S by any chance would it?

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 8, 2006
  4. Hi
    Nope I was referring to the old DNS-120.
    When it came out two years ago being one of the first Entry Level NAS, I got
    one.
    Would not recommend it to any one.
    The DI-624S is better, but No "Big Joy" either.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 8, 2006
  5. Jack:

    I was looking into NAS, print servers etc., as I have one PC that's on 15
    hours per day working as the print/server. The electric cost is $20.00/month
    in my estimation.

    I find having all the files in one place, back everything up from one place,
    and print from one place to be the best part. And I have GoToMyPC where II
    can come in and do work while on the road.

    As for centralized, but offsite storage, I'm thinking about XDrive that's
    been actively advertising lately. Being a member of AOL, I get the first 5
    Gigs free.

    Since you have a low opinion of low end NAS, seems to me I'm better off
    sticking with using a PC dedicated to these purposes. Agree??

    Or do you have a better solution??

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=, Nov 11, 2006