Network Speed Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com, Sep 2, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    I have a question about network speed that I was hoping someone would
    be able to help me with. I have a home lab set up as follows -

    My ADSL internet connection is max 8Mbs.

    Between my ADSL router and my LAN is a Cisco PIX 506 firewall with two
    interfaces, inside and outside, set at 10Mbs.

    This is then connected to a Wireless Access Point, max speed 54Mbs.

    I also have various switches that I'd like to practice on who's port
    speeds are either 10 or 100 Mbs.

    Am I correct in assuming that the fact that my firewall is limited to
    speeds of max 10Mbs is irrelevant since the internet connection will
    never be faster than 8Mbs? So, there is no point in upgrading to a PIX
    506e with FastEthernet interfaces as there will never be a need for a
    100Mbs connection?

    I sometimes check my internet speed online, and it seems to be about 1
    Mbs. Is this because of the contention on the line?

    The switch port speeds *are* relevant, since if I was transferring
    files from one internal PC to another, I'd like to be able to use
    100Mbs?

    Many thanks in advance.

    , Sep 2, 2006

  2. enlightened us
    24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have a question about network speed that I was hoping someone would
    > be able to help me with. I have a home lab set up as follows -
    >
    > My ADSL internet connection is max 8Mbs.
    >
    > Between my ADSL router and my LAN is a Cisco PIX 506 firewall with two
    > interfaces, inside and outside, set at 10Mbs.

    The ADSL router already does NAT? Not too much sense in attaching the
    PIX here ... except for training and if you want to filter outgoing
    packets.

    > This is then connected to a Wireless Access Point, max speed 54Mbs.
    >
    > I also have various switches that I'd like to practice on who's port
    > speeds are either 10 or 100 Mbs.
    >
    > Am I correct in assuming that the fact that my firewall is limited to
    > speeds of max 10Mbs is irrelevant since the internet connection will
    > never be faster than 8Mbs? So, there is no point in upgrading to a PIX
    > 506e with FastEthernet interfaces as there will never be a need for a
    > 100Mbs connection?

    Yes. I doubt your ADSL router has a 100Gbit lan interface.

    > sometimes check my internet speed online, and it seems to be about 1
    > Mbs. Is this because of the contention on the line?

    You should test at off-peak hours or at 3am. Usually you'll see at least
    4MBit, otherwise complain if you pay for bandwidth and don't get it.

    > The switch port speeds *are* relevant, since if I was transferring
    > files from one internal PC to another, I'd like to be able to use
    > 100Mbs?

    Again, overhead may reduce that to half, but there should be 7...10
    MBytes/sec transfer rate depending upon protocol and host horsepower,
    with duplex setting in both directions.

    Walter Mautner, Sep 2, 2006

  3. wrote in

    > Hi
    >
    > I have a question about network speed that I was hoping someone
    > would be able to help me with. I have a home lab set up as follows
    > -
    >
    > My ADSL internet connection is max 8Mbs.
    >
    > Between my ADSL router and my LAN is a Cisco PIX 506 firewall with
    > two interfaces, inside and outside, set at 10Mbs.
    >
    > This is then connected to a Wireless Access Point, max speed
    > 54Mbs.
    >
    > I also have various switches that I'd like to practice on who's
    > port speeds are either 10 or 100 Mbs.
    >
    > Am I correct in assuming that the fact that my firewall is limited
    > to speeds of max 10Mbs is irrelevant since the internet connection
    > will never be faster than 8Mbs? So, there is no point in upgrading
    > to a PIX 506e with FastEthernet interfaces as there will never be
    > a need for a 100Mbs connection?

    I agree with that logic.

    > I sometimes check my internet speed online, and it seems to be
    > about 1 Mbs. Is this because of the contention on the line?

    Possible but unlikely. DSL has a direct unshared connection to the
    central office. DSL speed is most sensitive to the [cable] distance
    between you and the central office. If it's over a mile or so, speed
    drops off rather steeply. I'm about 3 miles from my central office
    and dial-up speeds are faster than the DSL speeds I'd get at that
    distance so they don't even offer DSL in my neighborhood.

    > The switch port speeds *are* relevant, since if I was transferring
    > files from one internal PC to another, I'd like to be able to use
    > 100Mbs?

    Yes.

    HTH,
    -- John

    John Wunderlich, Sep 2, 2006
  4. why? Guest

    On 2 Sep 2006 02:29:15 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I have a question about network speed that I was hoping someone would
    >be able to help me with. I have a home lab set up as follows -
    >
    >My ADSL internet connection is max 8Mbs.
    >
    >Between my ADSL router and my LAN is a Cisco PIX 506 firewall with two
    >interfaces, inside and outside, set at 10Mbs.

    That's a shame, only used 501/506Es here. The FW 6.2(2) only allows
    10baseT on the outside, upgrading to 6.3(3) allows 100full on the
    outside.

    >This is then connected to a Wireless Access Point, max speed 54Mbs.
    >
    >I also have various switches that I'd like to practice on who's port
    >speeds are either 10 or 100 Mbs.

    Here the PIX is inside the local LAN not on the outside like yours. Then
    there is the 2950 / 2651 at various places depending on what's going on.

    This way the test lab, is the PIX, 2950 and 2651, while it still has
    internet access and doesn't cause problems with the other non lab
    machines.

    >Am I correct in assuming that the fact that my firewall is limited to
    >speeds of max 10Mbs is irrelevant since the internet connection will

    You may want to check the duplex settings.

    >never be faster than 8Mbs? So, there is no point in upgrading to a PIX
    >506e with FastEthernet interfaces as there will never be a need for a
    >100Mbs connection?

    Yes.

    >I sometimes check my internet speed online, and it seems to be about 1
    >Mbs. Is this because of the contention on the line?

    Shouldn't be, you didn't mention any contention ratio 20:1 sort of thing
    or testing at different times of day.

    My CM link is running say 5.5 to 6.3Mbps or even 0Mbps and the line via
    the PIX is 1.2Mbps on an ftp download, I think it's a distance issue
    with my VPN, the house/office are close by, but the ISP / exchange /
    company VPN /backup the company WAN and return. All this is a long
    distance trip when it's faster to walk there to get some files :)

    >The switch port speeds *are* relevant, since if I was transferring
    >files from one internal PC to another, I'd like to be able to use
    >100Mbs?

    Never had any issues in the inside 10/100.

    >Many thanks in advance.

    Me

    why?, Sep 2, 2006
  5. Jimmy Dean Guest

    On 2 Sep 2006 02:29:15 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I have a question about network speed that I was hoping someone would
    >be able to help me with. I have a home lab set up as follows -
    >
    >My ADSL internet connection is max 8Mbs.
    >
    >Between my ADSL router and my LAN is a Cisco PIX 506 firewall with two
    >interfaces, inside and outside, set at 10Mbs.

    >This is then connected to a Wireless Access Point, max speed 54Mbs.
    >
    >I also have various switches that I'd like to practice on who's port
    >speeds are either 10 or 100 Mbs.
    >
    >Am I correct in assuming that the fact that my firewall is limited to
    >speeds of max 10Mbs is irrelevant since the internet connection will
    >never be faster than 8Mbs? So, there is no point in upgrading to a PIX
    >506e with FastEthernet interfaces as there will never be a need for a
    >100Mbs connection?
    >
    >I sometimes check my internet speed online, and it seems to be about 1
    >Mbs. Is this because of the contention on the line?
    >
    >The switch port speeds *are* relevant, since if I was transferring
    >files from one internal PC to another, I'd like to be able to use
    >100Mbs?
    >
    >Many thanks in advance.

    Fastest internet speed is about 24 Mbps in some countries at present,
    and no doubt the figure will go higher.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 3, 2006