    commands, routes, access-lists, etc.

    Thanks.
    Bryan

    Boxxa, Nov 18, 2006

  2. Boxxa <> writes:
    >Finally, after two weeks of playing with my simulator and trying to get
    >encapsulated vlans to talk, I determined that the Boson NetSim does not
    >route traffic between vlans using dot1q correctly.

    >I am wondering what everyone is using for network simulators that you
    >can design a layout of a network and manage all the devices to work on
    >commands, routes, access-lists, etc.

    Real hardware. Or, now http://www.ipflow.utc.fr/index.php/Cisco_7200_Simulator
    (which also supports the 3600/3700/2691 emulated hardware) with NM
    switch module.

    Doug McIntyre, Nov 18, 2006

  3. Boxxa

    Drake Guest

    > Bryan

    Try Packet Tracer 4 from CISCO. I just installed it and tried
    the same netsim config I posted earlier. It worked like a charm.

    Drake, Nov 18, 2006
  4. Boxxa

    Guest

    Boxxa wrote:

    > Finally, after two weeks of playing with my simulator and trying to get
    > encapsulated vlans to talk, I determined that the Boson NetSim does not
    > route traffic between vlans using dot1q correctly.
    >
    > I am wondering what everyone is using for network simulators that you
    > can design a layout of a network and manage all the devices to work on
    > commands, routes, access-lists, etc.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Bryan

    I know it's not what you want to hear, but there's nothing like the
    real thing....pretty much all simulators I've come across have errors
    and can confuse the hell out of you..and Boson is probably the worst
    for it.

    If you're looking at CCNA level, then Routersim (www.routersim.com) is
    pretty good and will teach you what you need to know (ACL's, VLAN's,
    NAT/PAT etc)., along with a user-friendly interface. For CCNP and
    above/similar, then I'd highly recommend buying your own kit, most
    stuff is fairly cheap on ebay, although you may not be allowed to
    upgrade the IOS image.

    Hope this help.

    , Nov 18, 2006
  5. Boxxa

    Guest

    wrote:
    > Boxxa wrote:
    >
    > > Finally, after two weeks of playing with my simulator and trying to get
    > > encapsulated vlans to talk, I determined that the Boson NetSim does not
    > > route traffic between vlans using dot1q correctly.
    > >
    > > I am wondering what everyone is using for network simulators that you
    > > can design a layout of a network and manage all the devices to work on
    > > commands, routes, access-lists, etc.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > > Bryan

    > I know it's not what you want to hear, but there's nothing like the
    > real thing....pretty much all simulators I've come across have errors
    > and can confuse the hell out of you..and Boson is probably the worst
    > for it.

    "Or, now http://www.ipflow.utc.fr/index.php/Cisco_7200_Simulator
    (which also supports the 3600/3700/2691 emulated hardware) with NM
    switch module. "

    I have had a bit of a look at the one Doug mentined and it
    is pretty nice. It runs real code and in my experience operated
    correctly. I have done a bit of frame relay and ospf on it. It needs a
    bit of general computer experience to get going and so may not
    be suitable for everyone but I am REALLY impressed so far.

    It does need a lot of memory so I suggest trying the 3600
    version first and don't go too crazy with the IOS,
    try to save memory.

    It needs real IOS image.

    One of the neatest things is that you can run the simulated
    routers on as many computers as you have and it all
    behaves perfectly. i.e. If one PC runs out of resources and
    you need more routers you can add more on different PCs
    just as easily as you add them to the first one. One router
    is simulated on one PC. This is because the simulator
    architecture is such that it uses IP to communicate
    between the simulated routers even on the local PC and so
    it is trivial and almost invisible to the user to move indivual
    simulated routers to a different host.

    BTW someone said that it did 1000pps (or was it 100?) so
    don't bother to think about using it in production.

    , Nov 18, 2006
  6. Boxxa

    Boxxa Guest

    Drake wrote:
    >> Bryan

    > Try Packet Tracer 4 from CISCO. I just installed it and tried
    > the same netsim config I posted earlier. It worked like a charm.

    AMAZING program. Works great and functions like the real thing better
    than any simulator I have seen.

    Thanks for the info!

    Boxxa, Nov 18, 2006
  7. Boxxa

    egas Guest

    Folks, I have been unable to locate a copy of PT4 on Cisco's site.

    Any suggestions on where I can look?

    egas, Nov 19, 2006
  8. Boxxa

    Boxxa Guest

    egas wrote:
    > Folks, I have been unable to locate a copy of PT4 on Cisco's site.
    >
    > Any suggestions on where I can look?

    You need to be registered in cisco academy or just find it online.

    Boxxa, Nov 19, 2006