    computer and we cant access the printer attached to it..
    Why does it revert and how can I make the sharing stick?
    All machines have a common workgroup name and individual names.

    frankg, Feb 17, 2005

  2. frankg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in message
    news:ga2Rd.7922$...
    | XP (no service packs installed).
    |
    | My Computer>local disk (C:)> right click>Sharing & Security>Network
    Sharing
    | & Security - there are 2 checkboxes - one for Share this folder on the
    | network, and another for Allow network users to change my files.
    | I have enabled both of these manually (the wizard doesn't get it done) and
    | then our home network can access this particular machine - it's folders
    and
    | network printer.
    | But everytime this computer restarts, these boxes are disabled and greyed
    | out and I have to set them again manually. The network cant access this
    | computer and we cant access the printer attached to it..
    | Why does it revert and how can I make the sharing stick?
    | All machines have a common workgroup name and individual names.

    If you can't be bothered to install the critical service packs, I can't be
    bothered to attempt to help you with your problem. G'bye.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 18, 2005

  3. frankg

    frankg Guest

    > | XP (no service packs installed).
    > |
    > | My Computer>local disk (C:)> right click>Sharing & Security>Network
    > Sharing
    > | & Security - there are 2 checkboxes - one for Share this folder on the
    > | network, and another for Allow network users to change my files.
    > | I have enabled both of these manually (the wizard doesn't get it done)

    and
    > | then our home network can access this particular machine - it's folders
    > and
    > | network printer.
    > | But everytime this computer restarts, these boxes are disabled and

    greyed
    > | out and I have to set them again manually. The network cant access this
    > | computer and we cant access the printer attached to it..
    > | Why does it revert and how can I make the sharing stick?
    > | All machines have a common workgroup name and individual names.
    > |
    > If you can't be bothered to install the critical service packs, I can't be
    > bothered to attempt to help you with your problem. G'bye.

    OK
    but fyi they Cant be installed - they just cant be accessed from this
    machine - not through Windows Update or via turning on Auto updates.

    frankg, Feb 18, 2005
  4. frankg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in message

    | > | XP (no service packs installed).
    | > |
    | > | My Computer>local disk (C:)> right click>Sharing & Security>Network
    | > Sharing
    | > | & Security - there are 2 checkboxes - one for Share this folder on the
    | > | network, and another for Allow network users to change my files.
    | > | I have enabled both of these manually (the wizard doesn't get it done)
    | and
    | > | then our home network can access this particular machine - it's
    folders
    | > and
    | > | network printer.
    | > | But everytime this computer restarts, these boxes are disabled and
    | greyed
    | > | out and I have to set them again manually. The network cant access
    this
    | > | computer and we cant access the printer attached to it..
    | > | Why does it revert and how can I make the sharing stick?
    | > | All machines have a common workgroup name and individual names.
    | > |
    | > If you can't be bothered to install the critical service packs, I can't
    be
    | > bothered to attempt to help you with your problem. G'bye.
    | >
    | OK
    | but fyi they Cant be installed - they just cant be accessed from this
    | machine - not through Windows Update or via turning on Auto updates.

    Then your "security / sharing" issue is a little one compared to that. Don't
    you think you should be working on the bigger security problem first?

    Toolman Tim, Feb 18, 2005
  5. frankg

    frankg Guest

    > | > |
    > | > Sharing

    the

    done)
    > | and
    > folders
    > | > and
    > | greyed
    > this
    > | > |
    > | > If you can't be bothered to install the critical service packs, I

    can't
    > be
    > | > bothered to attempt to help you with your problem. G'bye.
    > | >
    > | OK
    > | but fyi they Cant be installed - they just cant be accessed from this
    > | machine - not through Windows Update or via turning on Auto updates.
    > |
    > Then your "security / sharing" issue is a little one compared to that.

    Don't
    > you think you should be working on the bigger security problem first?

    I've done all I can (think of ) including re-installing Win.

    frankg, Feb 18, 2005
  6. frankg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in message

> [...]
    | > | > |
    Security>Network
    | the
    | done)
    | > | and
    | > folders
    | > | greyed
    | > this
    | > | > |
    | can't
    | > be
    | > | >
    | > | OK
    | > | but fyi they Cant be installed - they just cant be accessed from this
    | > | machine - not through Windows Update or via turning on Auto updates.
    | > |
    | > Then your "security / sharing" issue is a little one compared to that.
    | Don't
    | > you think you should be working on the bigger security problem first?
    | > |

    | I've done all I can (think of ) including re-installing Win.

    That *is* weird. It is possible to get the security updates from the
    download sites. Let me see...it was something about network administrators
    being able to download them to their local server so users without Internet
    can be updated...yup--this should get you started. XP's service pack 2 is
    the first thing to do.

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp or
    the SP2 download page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...be-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en

    if that link is 'broken', use this: http://makeashorterlink.com/?M14622329

    Toolman Tim, Feb 18, 2005
  7. frankg

    frankg Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-
    8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en

    > if that link is 'broken', use this: http://makeashorterlink.com/?M14622329

    Thanks. I'm onto it.

    frankg, Feb 19, 2005
  8. frankg

    frankg Guest

    thanks for the direct links to sp1 to help circumvent the inability to use
    windows update - it worked.

    frankg, Feb 27, 2005