Network Security

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SlowRyde, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. SlowRyde

    SlowRyde Guest

    The family-owned business I work for has a network of 12 computers,
    ranging from new XP Emachines to true dinosaurs. Knowing that no network
    is 100% secure, I suggested that they should get an AV program on the
    one PC that has the POP3 client and get a better firewall for the
    network (I tested some of the PCs at the Sygate site - only 3-4 ports
    were blocked, the rest just "closed.") My concerns were passed on to the
    IT. What did he do? Got them to purchase 12 copies of Norton AV 2004
    Pro. That was fine for the XP and 98 machines. A couple more choked on
    the install and the rest didn't even have CD drives (told you some were
    dinosaurs.) His only expressed concern was that employees might pick up
    a virus while surfing a "hostile" web site. My concern is the network
    getting hacked, as it contains a large customer database for web site
    and mail order shipping.

    I'm nowhere close to being a hardware or network nut (my perfect waste
    of time is html), but for anyone who is, what would be your suggestions
    for making a small network reasonably secure? The server is a new Dell.
    I think it runs a Windows server, although at one time he had Linux on
    the previous box.

    Thanks in advance,
    Robert

    SlowRyde, Apr 23, 2004

  2. SlowRyde

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:19:04 -0500, SlowRyde <>
    wrote:

    >The family-owned business I work for has a network of 12 computers,
    >ranging from new XP Emachines to true dinosaurs. Knowing that no network
    >is 100% secure, I suggested that they should get an AV program on the
    >one PC that has the POP3 client and get a better firewall for the
    >network (I tested some of the PCs at the Sygate site - only 3-4 ports
    >were blocked, the rest just "closed.") My concerns were passed on to the
    >IT. What did he do? Got them to purchase 12 copies of Norton AV 2004
    >Pro. That was fine for the XP and 98 machines. A couple more choked on
    >the install and the rest didn't even have CD drives (told you some were
    >dinosaurs.) His only expressed concern was that employees might pick up
    >a virus while surfing a "hostile" web site. My concern is the network
    >getting hacked, as it contains a large customer database for web site
    >and mail order shipping.
    >
    >I'm nowhere close to being a hardware or network nut (my perfect waste
    >of time is html), but for anyone who is, what would be your suggestions
    >for making a small network reasonably secure? The server is a new Dell.
    >I think it runs a Windows server, although at one time he had Linux on
    >the previous box.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Robert

    A top-of-the-line commercial router with a built-in firewall.
    Something like this:
    http://www.netgear.com/products/routers.php?view=sb

    Unk, Apr 23, 2004

  3. SlowRyde

    Billy Guest

    "SlowRyde" <> wrote in message
    > The family-owned business I work for has a network of 12 computers,
    > ranging from new XP Emachines to true dinosaurs. Knowing that no

    network
    > is 100% secure, I suggested that they should get an AV program on the
    > one PC that has the POP3 client and get a better firewall for the
    > network (I tested some of the PCs at the Sygate site - only 3-4 ports
    > were blocked, the rest just "closed.") My concerns were passed on to

    the
    > IT. What did he do? Got them to purchase 12 copies of Norton AV 2004
    > Pro. That was fine for the XP and 98 machines. A couple more choked on
    > the install and the rest didn't even have CD drives (told you some

    were
    > dinosaurs.) His only expressed concern was that employees might pick

    up
    > a virus while surfing a "hostile" web site. My concern is the network
    > getting hacked, as it contains a large customer database for web site
    > and mail order shipping.
    >
    > I'm nowhere close to being a hardware or network nut (my perfect waste
    > of time is html), but for anyone who is, what would be your

    suggestions
    > for making a small network reasonably secure? The server is a new

    Dell.
    > I think it runs a Windows server, although at one time he had Linux on
    > the previous box.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Robert

    How are they connected, inside and outside i.e. any switches, routers,
    server purpose, DSL, ISDN, dialup, cable, microwave, company policies,
    etc.?
    Nice site to gather knowledge to enable a strong argument.
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    Especially the security section. Google can also be your friend.
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/security/

    Billy, Apr 23, 2004
  4. SlowRyde

    Shubhojit Guest

    hi robert!
    i see that u got a small network or 12 computers. i would suggest u to
    install sonicwall. this is a hardware firewall. it would secure ur
    network in true sense. i would recomend u to buy sonicwall TELE3 SP
    which has the following features-
    10 user lisence.
    ip sec included for VPN
    10 security association (VPN tunnels)
    integrated modem as back up in case ur router crashes.

    u can also check out TELE3 TZX which has wan port, work port and 4
    home port.

    since u got 12 comps, u can connect ur server to the work port and
    through a switch or a hub connect rest of the computers. Sonicwall as
    built in DHCP sever and also supports one to many and one to one NAT
    in case u want to host a webserver. It also has integrated antivirus
    which would update all the clients with latest antivirus signature
    without having the client go online or install the application. IF any
    of the client is infected, it would not go online unless its virus
    defination is updated.
    u can also visit www.sonicwall.com
    hope this meets ur requirement.
    bye then
    shubhojit.

    Shubhojit, Apr 23, 2004
  5. SlowRyde

    SlowRyde Guest

    Billy wrote:
    > "SlowRyde" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>The family-owned business I work for has a network of 12 computers,
    >>ranging from new XP Emachines to true dinosaurs. Knowing that no

    > network
    >
    >>is 100% secure, I suggested that they should get an AV program on the
    >>one PC that has the POP3 client and get a better firewall for the
    >>network (I tested some of the PCs at the Sygate site - only 3-4 ports
    >>were blocked, the rest just "closed.") My concerns were passed on to

    > the
    >
    >>IT. What did he do? Got them to purchase 12 copies of Norton AV 2004
    >>Pro. That was fine for the XP and 98 machines. A couple more choked on
    >>the install and the rest didn't even have CD drives (told you some

    > were
    >
    >>dinosaurs.) His only expressed concern was that employees might pick

    > up
    >
    >>a virus while surfing a "hostile" web site. My concern is the network
    >>getting hacked, as it contains a large customer database for web site
    >>and mail order shipping.
    >>
    >>I'm nowhere close to being a hardware or network nut (my perfect waste
    >>of time is html), but for anyone who is, what would be your

    > suggestions
    >
    >>for making a small network reasonably secure? The server is a new

    > Dell.
    >
    >>I think it runs a Windows server, although at one time he had Linux on
    >>the previous box.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance,
    >>Robert

    > How are they connected, inside and outside i.e. any switches, routers,
    > server purpose, DSL, ISDN, dialup, cable, microwave, company policies,
    > etc.?
    > Nice site to gather knowledge to enable a strong argument.
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    > Especially the security section. Google can also be your friend.
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/security/

    Thanks for the replies.
    Guess I should have better researched this before posting. Took a peak
    into the "electronics closet" and noted 3 ethernet switch boxes, a
    non-wireless Netopia box (router/gateway? didn't see a model/series # on
    it) If this contains a firewall, why would so few ports be blocked? It
    appears that both servers are running (?) Dell Poweredge 2600 (w/
    Windows Server 2003) and the Linux server. I know there's a wireless
    router somewhere for the workstation in the next building. We are on a
    T1. The web site is not hosted on this network, but that may change with
    the addition of the Dell. (I don't maintain the web site, but that's
    another story)

    There are actually two databases, one for the POS (Keystroke) and one
    for a home-grown shipping program which imports invoices from the POS
    database. There is no company policy, but I'm not as concerned about
    employee activities as I am about something sneaking in.

    Thanks again,
    Robert

    SlowRyde, Apr 24, 2004