Network Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slimbeny, Jul 15, 2008.

  1. slimbeny

    slimbeny

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Here's the situation

    I have a network 100.200.99.0 255/255/255/0
    i have around 240 users , server and printer combine

    we have a new mail server to comunicate with ohter nervwork but they ask us to gave them 3 of our address .

    what i want to do is to put on our network that server to give access to all user and our exchange server but i want it to be secure and i don't want the icoming trafic can see the rest of the network (data).

    here's what i wanted to 2 , to choises,

    1- create a 2 vlan , on whit all the user and the other on with my exchange and their exchange (2 nick card inside) and create a access list to permit only port 25 and 110 for mail.

    2- put the cable that come from their end ( attache to a server) to a router and juste route the trafic (port 110 and 25) to my network

    HERES MY PROB

    their end arrive with fiber 100mb (ip 100.200.99.8) same has mine network

    my router and my swith or at 1000mg (router ip 100.200.99.13, swith 100.200.99.3)

    i can't put that link on my swith, i don't have a 100mg blade
    but i can put it on a router (i have a adapter)

    the problem is i can't configure 2 interface on the same subnet on a router ???

    what should i do ,

    i don't have a other router to create a other segment to juste pass the trafig from ex.. netwrok 99 to 100 and them 99 on the ohter router.

    Can't someone help me

    thanks
    slimbeny, Jul 15, 2008

  2. slimbeny

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    From what I read, you have

    * An upstream (WAN) network address of 100.200.99.x/24

    * A router demarc between the WAN & your LAN

    * You want to protect your LAN.

    The way I'd do it is configure the router with NAT/PAT and your LAN with private addresses, 192.168.x.x. Forget about the upstream (WAN) address, it just confuses the issue.

    In terms of your question about routing between 100.200.99.x/24 and 100.200.99.y/24, yes, you are correct. You cannot route traffic on to two destinations on the same subnet. If you think about it, why would you? A router is a gateway between to networks. If the addresses are on the same subnet, then the devices can talk directly, without the need for a router.

    --Mark

    http://www.marksatterfield.com
    MarkSatterfield, Jul 16, 2008

  3. slimbeny

    anjali1213

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    hi
    this is anjali
    im new to this site and im not getting where to post Forums
    plz help me out to post a forums

    ita very urgent!!!!!!1

    thnx
    anjali1213, Jul 17, 2008
  4. slimbeny

    slimbeny

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    The problem is that is 2 seperate internal network but with the same subnet, so i will change all the ip address in my network so i will be able to route the trafic. because if i dont change the adress i can<t protect or create a access list on my router. all my network is in a class A so i can change it for class c so i will leave the second network on 100.200.99.0 / 24 and i will put mine in 100.200.100.0 (255.255.254.0)

    so i will route with the other and i will expend the number of user on my to 512

    thanks
    slimbeny, Jul 22, 2008