    router, and needs to access files (and printer) that are wired (and
    wireless) connected to a D-Link DIR 655 router (Network 2).

    TIA
    Salchichon \El Original\, Jun 4, 2007

  2. Salchichon \El Original\

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 16:59:19 -0700, Salchichon "El Original" wrote:

    >Is it possible to have one PC connected to two different networks at
    >the same time?

    Yes. More than 2 if needed.

    >My PC is connected to Network A, but I need some resources (files,
    >printers, etc) that are in Network 2 (obviously both networks have
    >different IPAs).

    IPAs?

    Doesn't matter, you can have 1 PC with 1 IP on 1 network.

    Joining 2 networks together is what a router does. You have 2 routers
    you have to tell each router about the other. This is what routing
    protocols do.

    >If possible, what do I need to do? My PC is hard-wired to an ActionTek
    >router, and needs to access files (and printer) that are wired (and
    >wireless) connected to a D-Link DIR 655 router (Network 2).

    Manual from D-Link
    Section 2 - Installation
    If you are connecting the D-Link router to another router to use as a
    wireless access point and/or switch, you will have to do the following
    before connecting the router to your network:

    So you still haven't paid any attention to the previous posts. Replace
    the DIR655 by a switch. This will make your network 1 network not 2.

    From: "Salchichon \"El Original\"" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: 3 routers, 2 networks, we need to talk...
    Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 09:22:52 -0700

    When I bought my 2nd router, I made sure it had the same routing
    protocols as the 1st such as RIP and RIP-2

    >TIA

    Me
    why?, Jun 4, 2007

  3. "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    > On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 16:59:19 -0700, Salchichon "El Original" wrote:
    >
    >>Is it possible to have one PC connected to two different networks at
    >>the same time?

    > Yes. More than 2 if needed.
    >
    >>My PC is connected to Network A, but I need some resources (files,
    >>printers, etc) that are in Network 2 (obviously both networks have
    >>different IPAs).

    > IPAs?

    I think he means IP addresses.

    --
    Brian J. Whiting

    Brian Whiting, Jun 4, 2007
  4. Salchichon \El Original\

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-04, Brian Whiting <> wrote:
    > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 16:59:19 -0700, Salchichon "El Original" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is it possible to have one PC connected to two different networks at
    >>>the same time?

    >> Yes. More than 2 if needed.
    >>
    >>>My PC is connected to Network A, but I need some resources (files,
    >>>printers, etc) that are in Network 2 (obviously both networks have
    >>>different IPAs).

    >> IPAs?
    >>

    > I think he means IP addresses.

    India Pale Ales are not to be sneezed at for networking purposes <G>

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 4, 2007
  5. Salchichon \El Original\

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 06:43:07 -0400, Brian Whiting wrote:

    >> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 16:59:19 -0700, Salchichon "El Original" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is it possible to have one PC connected to two different networks at
    >>>the same time?

    >> Yes. More than 2 if needed.
    >>
    >>>My PC is connected to Network A, but I need some resources (files,
    >>>printers, etc) that are in Network 2 (obviously both networks have
    >>>different IPAs).

    >> IPAs?
    >>

    >I think he means IP addresses.

    I know :) maybe OP would correct post and pay attention to replies this
    time round.

    Me
    why?, Jun 4, 2007
  6. Salchichon \El Original\

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 12:03:56 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    >On 2007-06-04, Brian Whiting <> wrote:
    >> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>> Yes. More than 2 if needed.

    >>> IPAs?
    >>>

    >> I think he means IP addresses.

    >India Pale Ales are not to be sneezed at for networking purposes <G>

    LOL, will have to try 1 day.

    Me
    why?, Jun 4, 2007
  7. On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 21:22:23 GMT, why?

    >On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 06:43:07 -0400, Brian Whiting wrote:
    >
    >>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>> Yes. More than 2 if needed.

    >>> IPAs?
    >>>

    >>I think he means IP addresses.

    I do. One is a 192.168.1.xxx
    The other one is 192.168.0.xxx

    >I know :) maybe OP would correct post and pay attention to replies this
    >time round.

    I do pay attention, I just have not found the answer to my question,
    or something that applies to what I am looking for. I am new at this.
    But just in case, oh enlightened one, since apparently I haven't ,
    would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

    Let me add some detail to my predicament:
    D-Link router (network 2) is hard-wired to Actiontek (network 1)
    router (Verizon FiOS).
    2 PCs are hard wired to network 2 router, and 2 other ones directly to
    Actiontek. All 4 PCs would be very happy to chat to one another.

    Why this configuration you ask? Distance, signal strength, wiring
    (wife don't want to see ugly cables laying around in her new house),
    and PCs are in separate rooms. Oh, yes, and $$$$

    Since I have the extra router (Dlink DIR 655), I figured there's got
    to be a way to make it work.

    >Me

    Salchi (who btw HAS been paying attention)
    Salchichon \El Original\, Jun 4, 2007
  8. On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 10:36:45 GMT, why?

    >On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 16:59:19 -0700, Salchichon "El Original" wrote:
    >
    >>Is it possible to have one PC connected to two different networks at
    >>the same time?

    >Yes. More than 2 if needed.
    >
    >>My PC is connected to Network A, but I need some resources (files,
    >>printers, etc) that are in Network 2 (obviously both networks have
    >>different IPAs).

    >IPAs?
    >
    >Doesn't matter, you can have 1 PC with 1 IP on 1 network.
    >
    >Joining 2 networks together is what a router does. You have 2 routers
    >you have to tell each router about the other. This is what routing
    >protocols do.
    >
    >>If possible, what do I need to do? My PC is hard-wired to an ActionTek
    >>router, and needs to access files (and printer) that are wired (and
    >>wireless) connected to a D-Link DIR 655 router (Network 2).

    >Manual from D-Link
    >Section 2 - Installation
    >If you are connecting the D-Link router to another router to use as a
    >wireless access point and/or switch, you will have to do the following
    >before connecting the router to your network:

    OK, the suspense is killing me...

    Salchichon \El Original\, Jun 4, 2007
  9. Salchichon \El Original\

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Is it possible to have one PC connected to two different networks at
    >the same time?
    >My PC is connected to Network A, but I need some resources (files,
    >printers, etc) that are in Network 2 (obviously both networks have
    >different IPAs).
    >
    >If possible, what do I need to do? My PC is hard-wired to an ActionTek
    >router, and needs to access files (and printer) that are wired (and
    >wireless) connected to a D-Link DIR 655 router (Network 2).
    >
    >TIA

    Not too sure here but in Network Connections, select both networks
    then Bridge.

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Jun 5, 2007
  10. Salchichon \El Original\

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 15:40:21 -0700, Salchichon "El Original" wrote:

    >On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 21:22:23 GMT, why?
    >

    >>On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 06:43:07 -0400, Brian Whiting wrote:
    >>
    >>>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>>I think he means IP addresses.

    >I do. One is a 192.168.1.xxx
    >The other one is 192.168.0.xxx

    That was a given, because you said 2 routers. Even guessing it was 1.x
    and 0.x was easy.

    >>I know :) maybe OP would correct post and pay attention to replies this
    >>time round.

    >I do pay attention, I just have not found the answer to my question,
    >or something that applies to what I am looking for. I am new at this.

    You were told,

    a) Routing protocols RIP or RIP-2. You have to enable these on the
    routers so that they can find each other and tell each other what
    networks are on them.

    b) Change the DIR655 for a switch. You said the PCs are hard wired to
    it. You don't need routing protocols and everything is on network 1.

    >But just in case, oh enlightened one, since apparently I haven't ,
    >would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

    Again?

    >Let me add some detail to my predicament:
    >D-Link router (network 2) is hard-wired to Actiontek (network 1)
    >router (Verizon FiOS).
    >2 PCs are hard wired to network 2 router, and 2 other ones directly to
    >Actiontek. All 4 PCs would be very happy to chat to one another.

    That's not detail, that's what you said the 1st time.

    >Why this configuration you ask? Distance, signal strength, wiring

    Distance, it's all hardwired. That's 100m distance to work with.

    100m from the Actiontek to PCs on network 1.
    100m from the Actiontek to D-Link on network 1.
    100m from the D-Link to PCs on network 2.

    What signal strength.

    Separate rooms don't matter, you figured this out with the wiring you
    have put in.

    >(wife don't want to see ugly cables laying around in her new house),
    >and PCs are in separate rooms. Oh, yes, and $$$$
    >
    >Since I have the extra router (Dlink DIR 655), I figured there's got
    >to be a way to make it work.

    a) Routing protocols RIP or RIP-2. You have to enable these on the
    routers so that they can find each other and tell each other what
    networks are on them.

    b) Change the DIR655 for a switch. You said the PCs are hard wired to
    it. You don't need routing protocols and everything is on network 1.

    >>Me

    >Salchi (who btw HAS been paying attention)

    Really, so why is the thread a repeat of the last.

    Me
    why?, Jun 5, 2007
  11. Salchichon \El Original\

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 09:25:46 +1000, Jimmy Dean wrote:

    >On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 16:59:19 -0700, "Salchichon \"El Original\""
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Is it possible to have one PC connected to two different networks at
    >>the same time?
    >>My PC is connected to Network A, but I need some resources (files,
    >>printers, etc) that are in Network 2 (obviously both networks have
    >>different IPAs).
    >>
    >>If possible, what do I need to do? My PC is hard-wired to an ActionTek
    >>router, and needs to access files (and printer) that are wired (and
    >>wireless) connected to a D-Link DIR 655 router (Network 2).

    1 of the other replies left out the wireless bit, it mentioned only 4
    PCs all hard wired. The OPs 1st post is the bit above but doesn;t make
    it clear what is which at this point -

    "and needs to access files (and printer) that are wired (and
    wireless)"

    It's assumed file shares and printer are both wired and wireless.

    >>TIA

    >Not too sure here but in Network Connections, select both networks
    >then Bridge.

    Try again.

    Each PC is connected to only 1 network, can't bridge 1 connection.

    2 network cards in each PC 1 for each network without bridging would
    work. But that's just silly.

    Not having 2 routers would work, replacing the 2nd router by a switch so
    everything is on 1 network, will work.

    Telling the 2 routers to swap network information with each other using
    a routing protocol works.

    A file and print server, with 2 network cards 1 to each network would
    work.

    >jd

    Me
    why?, Jun 5, 2007
  12. On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 06:54:37 GMT, why?

    >On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 15:40:21 -0700, Salchichon "El Original" wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 21:22:23 GMT, why?
    >><fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    >>I do. One is a 192.168.1.xxx
    >>The other one is 192.168.0.xxx

    >That was a given, because you said 2 routers. Even guessing it was 1.x
    >and 0.x was easy.
    >
    >>>I know :) maybe OP would correct post and pay attention to replies this
    >>>time round.

    >>I do pay attention, I just have not found the answer to my question,
    >>or something that applies to what I am looking for. I am new at this.

    >You were told,

    Sorry daddy, I am not a network guru..

    >a) Routing protocols RIP or RIP-2. You have to enable these on the
    >routers so that they can find each other and tell each other what
    >networks are on them.
    >
    >b) Change the DIR655 for a switch. You said the PCs are hard wired to
    >it. You don't need routing protocols and everything is on network 1.
    >
    >>But just in case, oh enlightened one, since apparently I haven't ,
    >>would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

    >Again?

    Yes, again. Obviously you are assuming I got it the 1st time. Not
    everyone asking for help is as "well versed" as you seem to be. Some
    of us are just trying to get some direction, not smart ass comments...

    >>Let me add some detail to my predicament:
    >>D-Link router (network 2) is hard-wired to Actiontek (network 1)
    >>router (Verizon FiOS).
    >>2 PCs are hard wired to network 2 router, and 2 other ones directly to
    >>Actiontek. All 4 PCs would be very happy to chat to one another.

    >That's not detail, that's what you said the 1st time.
    >
    >>Why this configuration you ask? Distance, signal strength, wiring

    >Distance, it's all hardwired. That's 100m distance to work with.
    >
    >100m from the Actiontek to PCs on network 1.
    >100m from the Actiontek to D-Link on network 1.
    >100m from the D-Link to PCs on network 2.
    >
    >What signal strength.

    I think you need lotsa hugs, ur 2 bitter...

    >Separate rooms don't matter, you figured this out with the wiring you
    >have put in.

    Assumptions, assumptions, NO, I did not have the wiring put in, the
    house came with it...

    >>(wife don't want to see ugly cables laying around in her new house),
    >>and PCs are in separate rooms. Oh, yes, and $$$$
    >>
    >>Since I have the extra router (Dlink DIR 655), I figured there's got
    >>to be a way to make it work.

    >a) Routing protocols RIP or RIP-2. You have to enable these on the
    >routers so that they can find each other and tell each other what
    >networks are on them.
    >
    >b) Change the DIR655 for a switch. You said the PCs are hard wired to
    >it. You don't need routing protocols and everything is on network 1.

    Won't they loose connection speed? My boys play WOW...

    >>>Me

    >>Salchi (who btw HAS been paying attention)

    >Really, so why is the thread a repeat of the last.

    It doesn't look like the same issue to me, other than the "Subject"
    title :)

    Salchichon \El Original\, Jun 6, 2007
  13. Salchichon \El Original\

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 00:36:57 -0700, Salchichon "El Original" wrote:

    >On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 06:54:37 GMT, why?
    >

    >>On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 15:40:21 -0700, Salchichon "El Original" wrote:

    <snip>

    >>You were told,

    >Sorry daddy, I am not a network guru..

    You don't need to be, you have the router(s), you can look at the
    manual(s) check if there is RIP or RIP2. You can do that.

    >>a) Routing protocols RIP or RIP-2. You have to enable these on the
    >>routers so that they can find each other and tell each other what
    >>networks are on them.
    >>
    >>b) Change the DIR655 for a switch. You said the PCs are hard wired to
    >>it. You don't need routing protocols and everything is on network 1.
    >>
    >>>But just in case, oh enlightened one, since apparently I haven't ,
    >>>would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

    >>Again?

    >Yes, again. Obviously you are assuming I got it the 1st time. Not

    It was clear option

    (a) you need a routing protocol RIP or RIP-2 enabled on the routers.

    (b) replace the D-Link with a switch so everything is on network 1.

    >everyone asking for help is as "well versed" as you seem to be. Some
    >of us are just trying to get some direction, not smart ass comments...
    >>
    >>>Let me add some detail to my predicament:
    >>>D-Link router (network 2) is hard-wired to Actiontek (network 1)
    >>>router (Verizon FiOS).
    >>>2 PCs are hard wired to network 2 router, and 2 other ones directly to
    >>>Actiontek. All 4 PCs would be very happy to chat to one another.

    >>That's not detail, that's what you said the 1st time.
    >>
    >>>Why this configuration you ask? Distance, signal strength, wiring

    >>Distance, it's all hardwired. That's 100m distance to work with.
    >>
    >>100m from the Actiontek to PCs on network 1.
    >>100m from the Actiontek to D-Link on network 1.
    >>100m from the D-Link to PCs on network 2.
    >>
    >>What signal strength.

    >I think you need lotsa hugs, ur 2 bitter...

    You mentioned distance and signal strength, unless the wired bit is over
    100m it shouldn't be an issue. In any case you can go router - 100m -
    router(or switch) - 100m,

    >>Separate rooms don't matter, you figured this out with the wiring you
    >>have put in.

    >Assumptions, assumptions, NO, I did not have the wiring put in, the
    >house came with it...

    So what. Possibly based on next bit.

    >>>(wife don't want to see ugly cables laying around in her new house),
    >>>and PCs are in separate rooms. Oh, yes, and $$$$
    >>>
    >>>Since I have the extra router (Dlink DIR 655), I figured there's got
    >>>to be a way to make it work.

    >>a) Routing protocols RIP or RIP-2. You have to enable these on the
    >>routers so that they can find each other and tell each other what
    >>networks are on them.
    >>
    >>b) Change the DIR655 for a switch. You said the PCs are hard wired to
    >>it. You don't need routing protocols and everything is on network 1.

    >Won't they loose connection speed? My boys play WOW...

    How, what are you thinking about here? What's going to cause the slow
    down? Fix your 1st problem before making up a next one.

    You didn't mention what speed the FiOS was, or the speeds to the WOW
    servers (ISP/internet) etc.

    The 2 PCs for WOW may have 100Mbps cards, and each a 100Mbps link to the
    D-Link then sharing the single 100Mbps to the Actiontek, then what ever
    speed your FiOS is.

    The speed limit isn't the kit in your house, it's everything else to the
    WOW servers and back again. That's going to be a lot less then 100Mbps
    LAN speeds.

    >>>Salchi (who btw HAS been paying attention)

    >>Really, so why is the thread a repeat of the last.

    >It doesn't look like the same issue to me, other than the "Subject"
    >title :)

    Same issue.

    >>Me

    Me
    why?, Jun 6, 2007
  14. Salchichon \El Original\

    Plato Guest

  15. Re: Network question <-- THX to all. Agent was acting up and I had missed lots of previous postings. Will try to implement your suggestions!! THX again

    On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 22:32:55 GMT, why?

    Salchichon \El Original\, Jun 7, 2007