    Its not my area of expertise.
    However I need to appear more intelligent than she is,obviously.
    Some jargon may help.
    nevillenevilleson, Sep 29, 2005

  2. nevillenevilleson

    The One Guest

    nevillenevilleson bashed at the keyboard and came up with:

    > How do you plug computers together to make a network in an office but stop
    > incompetent people from ruining it?
    > One of my staff suggests I try this as certain others cannot be trusted.
    > Ive said I know how to her,but I dont really.
    > Its not my area of expertise.
    > However I need to appear more intelligent than she is,obviously.
    > Some jargon may help.

    what dont you want them to ruin? The network? Services? What?

    You can for instance ban MAC addresses from getting IP Addresses from DHCP,
    not give them access to server resources, block them using firewall rules
    etc..

    You need to be more specific, what services are you going to run? What is
    the purpose of the network? Domain controller or not?

    If you have no knowledge of the area it is a steep learning curve, start
    with the basics and work out from there......
    The One, Sep 29, 2005

  3. DHCP, MAC address, IP address.
    Its jargon that I wanted and thats a good start.
    Then I can get someone in at the weekend to do it and Ill take the credit.
    Thanks.

    nevillenevilleson, Sep 29, 2005
  4. nevillenevilleson

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:45:38 +0100, nevillenevilleson wrote:

    >How do you plug computers together to make a network in an office but stop
    >incompetent people from ruining it?

    Use nevillenevilleson IT services, but ask the tea lady all the rest are
    useless.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Sep 29, 2005
  5. "nevillenevilleson" <> wrote
    in news:1127990746.5622a41b44e252a504be5dac28d9744b@teranews:

    > How do you plug computers together to make a network in an office
    > but stop incompetent people from ruining it?
    > One of my staff suggests I try this as certain others cannot be
    > trusted. Ive said I know how to her,but I dont really.
    > Its not my area of expertise.
    > However I need to appear more intelligent than she is,obviously.
    > Some jargon may help.

    Ask Neville.

    Top

    --