    permissions but unfortunately xphome doesn't have this
    function.

    Thanx

    JIm, Jun 1, 2004

  2. JIm

    MC Guest

    You can set access permissions but you have to use the command line tool,
    type CACLS at a dos prompt, good luck! You could of course just not share
    any folders on the network, or share them as hidden folders etc. It depends
    what you mean by "one computer is used as a backup"

    Max

    MC, Jun 1, 2004

  3. JIm

    TechNews Guest

    JIm wrote:

    > Hi guys
    >
    > At work we have a small network, 5 computers peers
    > one computer is used as a backup machine.
    >
    > All machines have winxp home edition installed.
    > is there any software that can stop users accidently
    > accessing the backup machine and deleting files etc ?
    >
    > I know if i had xp pro installed i could set access and
    > permissions but unfortunately xphome doesn't have this
    > function.
    >
    > Thanx

    This is the perfect assignment for a Linux computer.

    You can set up Linux to run as a backup server via its SAMBA program. SAMBA
    allows you to control who and how the server will be accessed.

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security

    TechNews, Jun 1, 2004
  4. JIm

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "TechNews" <> wrote in message
    > JIm wrote:
    >
    > > Hi guys
    > >
    > > At work we have a small network, 5 computers peers
    > > one computer is used as a backup machine.
    > >
    > > All machines have winxp home edition installed.
    > > is there any software that can stop users accidently
    > > accessing the backup machine and deleting files etc ?
    > >
    > > I know if i had xp pro installed i could set access and
    > > permissions but unfortunately xphome doesn't have this
    > > function.
    > >
    > > Thanx

    > This is the perfect assignment for a Linux computer.
    >
    > You can set up Linux to run as a backup server via its SAMBA program.

    SAMBA
    > allows you to control who and how the server will be accessed.

    going from XP to linux is a giant leep...
    what's worse than a microsoft system? a misconfigured linux server...

    don't get me wrong, i'm pro-linux. but i'm also living in the "real" world.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Jun 1, 2004
  5. JIm

    TechNews Guest

    127.0.0.1 wrote:

    > "TechNews" <> wrote in message
    >> JIm wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi guys
    >> >
    >> > At work we have a small network, 5 computers peers
    >> > one computer is used as a backup machine.
    >> >
    >> > All machines have winxp home edition installed.
    >> > is there any software that can stop users accidently
    >> > accessing the backup machine and deleting files etc ?
    >> >
    >> > I know if i had xp pro installed i could set access and
    >> > permissions but unfortunately xphome doesn't have this
    >> > function.
    >> >
    >> > Thanx

    >> This is the perfect assignment for a Linux computer.
    >>
    >> You can set up Linux to run as a backup server via its SAMBA program.

    > SAMBA
    >> allows you to control who and how the server will be accessed.
    >>

    > going from XP to linux is a giant leep...
    > what's worse than a microsoft system? a misconfigured linux server...
    >
    > don't get me wrong, i'm pro-linux. but i'm also living in the "real"
    > world.
    >
    > -a|ex

    Going from XP to Linux is not a giant leap as it requires no complexities
    greater than programming a VCR. You do it once and that's it.

    You can take some old, unused PC laying around and convert it into a Linux
    backup server. The documentation can be found easily enough: If you get a
    SuSE Linux 9.1 box, it comes with excellent printed manuals; if you install
    SAMBA, it also installs a fairly comprehensive manual in pdf format;
    moreover, there is a virtually inexhaustible source of Linux "How-to's" all
    over the Internet.

    Anyone that can "peer-to-peer" a bunch of XP boxes has enough savy to setup
    a Linux box. Evidently your "real" world isn't very knowledgable.

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security

    TechNews, Jun 2, 2004
  6. JIm

    Billh Guest

    Boot in to Safe mode on that computer and you can set permissions from there
    like you can XP Pro. I have not used it in a while so I don't know if
    everything is there but know there is more then Home has in regular mode.

    Billh, Jun 2, 2004