Network Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bill, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I don't have a network yet but will in a few days.

    I have a network newly installed on my computer.

    Now, when I boot up it asks for a password.

    My wife and I will be the only ones on the network.. Is there a way to
    bypass this request and have the computer boot up fully as before the
    install of the card..?

    Once both computers are connected will I need the password then or can we
    get by without one?

    Thank you for your help..

    --
    Bill Splaine, Healdsburg, CA
    Iesus, tanto nomini nullum par elogium

    Bill, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Bill

    Harrison Guest

    http://www.updatexp.com/tip14.html

    Harrison, Oct 7, 2003

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I made the mistake of not giving you complete information.. I am using Win98
    first edition. I will be upgrading to XP pretty soon.. but.. I don't have
    it right now. Is the fix similar for 98???

    Thanks
    Bill

    Bill, Oct 7, 2003
  4. Bill

    Harrison Guest

    Sorry, I assumed you had XP.
    Try this one for 98.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;152104

    Harrison, Oct 7, 2003
  5. Bill

    pcbutts1 Guest

    1)Delete all *.pwl files. (Start/Find/Files or Folders and search your
    drive for them.)

    2) Now go to: Start/Settings/Control Panel/NetworkIcon/Configuration Tab.
    Make sure that "Client for Microsoft Networks" is in the list. If it is not
    there, then install it:
    a. Push ADD button
    b. highlight "Client" in the list shown
    c. Push ADD button
    d. Under Manufacturers, highlight "Microsoft"
    e. Under Network Clients, highlight "Client for Microsoft Networks"
    f. Push OK button
    g. Double click on tcp/ip->Dial up Adapter. Select the "Bindings" tab
    and uncheck Client for MS Networks
    h. click ok

    3) Make sure that "Windows Logon" is selected in the "Primary
    Network Logon" box.

    4) Reboot your computer

    5) When you see the "Enter username and password" logon screen during the
    reboot, enter a name only and click "OK" with no password entered.

    6) You will be prompted to confirm, click ok again with no password entered.

    That's it. You will no longer see the windows password screen on bootup.

    pcbutts1, Oct 8, 2003