    and if so can I go and get any DSL rj45 B-band modem or does it have to be
    compatible with freeserve.

    Thankyou all for any help.//
    lee, Sep 27, 2003

  2. lee

    Mike Calkins Guest

    If affordable, and Ethernet DSL modem is the answer....

    I've seen USB to Ethernet adapters for the computer, but not the other way
    around, as you are describing.

    Good luck!

    Mike Calkins, Sep 27, 2003

  3. lee

    Jerry G. Guest

    You need a DSL modem. Sharing a USB modem is difficult to configure, and I
    have not met anyone who actually made it work! Also, make sure your cables
    are patch cables between all the computers and the modem to the router.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
    Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm

    Jerry G., Sep 27, 2003
  4. lee

    RickMerrill Guest

    lee wrote:

    > Hope someone can help.
    >
    > My friend gave me a linksys 4 port router for my network at home.
    > he said it would enable all computers to have Internet access.

    That is a good idea. The Linksys also provides basic "firewall" services:
    by using NAT translation it prevents your computer IP from being viewed by
    the outside world. It also closes your "ports" to worms and hackers.

    > I got stuck though when i tried to plug the DSL usb alcatel modem into the
    > Router. Der der der is no usb socket only RJ45.

    You should get a DSL modem with Ethernet (RJ45).

    > I`m with freeserve and they are pretty crud at even the basic questions.
    > they couldn`t even tell me what to do next. "sorry we don't support
    > networking"

    From what I have heard, NO ISP "supports" networking - this is understandable
    as all networks are different and support would be expensive. However, the
    techs understand that a Router can make their and your life simpler and if
    you ask a straightforward question they will try to answer it.

    > So do I need an adaptor for the USB modem to rj45 or do I need a new DSL
    > modem
    > and if so can I go and get any DSL rj45 B-band modem or does it have to be
    > compatible with freeserve.

    - RM
    RickMerrill, Sep 27, 2003
  5. lee

    Mike Calkins Guest

    By patch cables, I'm sure that Jerry means straight thru Ethernet cables,
    not crossover ones.....

    Mike

    Mike Calkins, Sep 27, 2003
  6. lee

    lee Guest

    Thanks for all the help guys.

    Went to the local PC shop and bought the only Dsl RJ45 modem in stock
    53 squid.# Sterlin
    Might have dropped one cause this mother IS UNBRANDED
    So I can kiss the Tech support goodbye.

    Anyway I read the Bus ticket instruction set on how to configure this white
    ugly bitch
    and it tells you jack shit. Mind boggled. GATEWAY this and DNS that I`m up
    for the challenge
    though and I will get this bitch working even though I haven`t the faintest
    but it will be fun.

    Keep you in tune.
    lee, Sep 27, 2003