    Ipaqs to a network and sending a format command over Lan
    from a XP / 2000 system.

    Just a thought -

    Jim, Sep 5, 2005

  2. Jim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > I have a boring task at work to wipe 15 computer hard drives.
    > The bases are compaq ipaq PIII 500 mini tower darlicks.
    >
    > No cdrom or floppy disk, so I'm physically removing the hard disk
    > and formating etc that way.
    >
    > Does anyone know if its possible to blitz the drives by connecting
    > these Ipaqs to a network and sending a format command over Lan
    > from a XP / 2000 system.
    >
    > Just a thought -

    What's the OS?

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2005

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    System is Xp pro

    Jim, Sep 5, 2005
  4. Jim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Jim wrote:

    >>> I have a boring task at work to wipe 15 computer hard drives.
    >>> The bases are compaq ipaq PIII 500 mini tower darlicks.
    >>>
    >>> No cdrom or floppy disk, so I'm physically removing the hard disk
    >>> and formating etc that way.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know if its possible to blitz the drives by connecting these
    >>> Ipaqs to a network and sending a format command over Lan
    >>> from a XP / 2000 system.

    >> What's the OS?

    > System is Xp pro

    Please don't remove the message contents when you reply. And when a reply is
    posted a the bottom (like, sequential order) continue to post replies at the
    bottom. This isn't email, it's Usenet.

    Okay - that rant aside, I *know* what your LAN is running. What OS was/is on
    the PIII 500MHz mini towers? Surely not XP Pro...

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2005
  5. Howdy!

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > Okay - that rant aside, I *know* what your LAN is running. What OS was/is

    on
    > the PIII 500MHz mini towers? Surely not XP Pro...

    Surely quite possibly - a lot of the iPaq "Legacy-Free PCs" (not to
    be confused with the iPaq Hand Held PC) were shipped with XP Pro. Don't
    scream too loudly - I'm putting Pro on some P2-233s for one library to get
    group policies.

    The method the OP is using is just about the only way, unless he has
    the USB floppy drive and a bootable Win98 diskette to FDISK the disks with.
    Since last I checked, that piece of "stuff" was about 187USD from Compaq ...
    and generics didn't work quite as well for Win98 ... I'd presume he doesn't.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 5, 2005
  6. Jim

    Jim Guest

    >>> What's the OS?

    >> System is Xp pro
    >>

    > Please don't remove the message contents when you reply. And when a reply
    > is posted a the bottom (like, sequential order) continue to post replies
    > at the bottom. This isn't email, it's Usenet.
    >
    > Okay - that rant aside, I *know* what your LAN is running. What OS was/is
    > on the PIII 500MHz mini towers? Surely not XP Pro...
    >
    > --
    > Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

    Ok, thanks for advising on the response side of things - The systems are Nt
    / 2000

    Jim, Sep 5, 2005
  7. Jim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> System is Xp pro
    >>>

    >> Please don't remove the message contents when you reply. And when a
    >> reply is posted a the bottom (like, sequential order) continue to
    >> post replies at the bottom. This isn't email, it's Usenet.
    >>
    >> Okay - that rant aside, I *know* what your LAN is running. What OS
    >> was/is on the PIII 500MHz mini towers? Surely not XP Pro...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

    > Ok, thanks for advising on the response side of things - The systems
    > are Nt / 2000

    Sure - that helps keep things in a conversational format and easier for
    others to follow as they jump in. RWP posted what I was going to suggest
    too - a USB floppy disk. But that would only work if the BIOS of the iPaq
    will boot from USB devices. They sound a bit aged, and I doubt that they
    will.

    Instead, I'd suggest a bootable CDROM and a spare CD drive- like a live
    Linux distro (I use Knoppix Live CD for this). Sure, you have to open the
    case still, but you temporarily connect the CD Drive to the IDE bus, boot
    from that, use the software on the Linux CD to repartition/reformat the
    hard drive.

    If you are worried about security - needing a REAL erase, not just a basic
    one, you could download and create a bootable DBAN CD and use that. But a
    DOD level erase isn't quick...it's the kind of thing you'd start in the
    morning each day on a different system <g>
    Darik's Boot and Nuke: http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2005
  8. Jim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> Please don't remove the message contents when you reply. And when a
    >>> reply is posted a the bottom (like, sequential order) continue to
    >>> post replies at the bottom. This isn't email, it's Usenet.
    >>>
    >>> Okay - that rant aside, I *know* what your LAN is running. What OS
    >>> was/is on the PIII 500MHz mini towers? Surely not XP Pro...
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

    >> Ok, thanks for advising on the response side of things - The systems
    >> are Nt / 2000

    > Sure - that helps keep things in a conversational format and easier
    > for others to follow as they jump in. RWP posted what I was going to
    > suggest too - a USB floppy disk. But that would only work if the BIOS
    > of the iPaq will boot from USB devices. They sound a bit aged, and I
    > doubt that they will.
    >
    > Instead, I'd suggest a bootable CDROM and a spare CD drive- like a
    > live Linux distro (I use Knoppix Live CD for this). Sure, you have to
    > open the case still, but you temporarily connect the CD Drive to the
    > IDE bus, boot from that, use the software on the Linux CD to
    > repartition/reformat the hard drive.
    >
    > If you are worried about security - needing a REAL erase, not just a
    > basic one, you could download and create a bootable DBAN CD and use
    > that. But a DOD level erase isn't quick...it's the kind of thing
    > you'd start in the morning each day on a different system <g>
    > Darik's Boot and Nuke: http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    Another thought along the temporary IDE hookup line is a small extra HD -
    bootable, put NT on it, hook *that* up to the iPaqs and use the NT disk
    management tools to erase the HD. (Everyone has an extra HD sitting around,
    don't they? <g>)

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2005
  9. Jim

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:28:19 +0100, "Jim" <> wrote:

    >I have a boring task at work to wipe 15 computer hard drives.
    >The bases are compaq ipaq PIII 500 mini tower darlicks.
    >
    >No cdrom or floppy disk, so I'm physically removing the hard disk
    >and formating etc that way.

    A whole 15???

    Shit, that would keep you in work for at least a day

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 6, 2005