Network + question from my college mid term

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by stuart J., Oct 10, 2003.

  1. stuart J.

    stuart J. Guest

    Hello:

    i am taking a mid-term exam at UM in college park,
    (take home exam) I have answered my questions but want
    to get outside opinions on my answers...No-one in thew
    class wants to do a study group.
    Question 1:
    You are troubleshooting a communications problem on your
    company's 10Base-T Ethernet internetwork that consists of
    five segments, all connected to a backbone network.
    Mark, a user on one of the segments, can connect to
    computers on the same segment but not to computers on any
    other segments. No other users have reported problems.
    Which one of the following could be the problem?

    a. A network layer problem on the backbone network
    b. A physical layer problem on Mark's segment
    c. A network layer problem on Mark's segment
    d. A physical layer problem on the backbone

    I chose "A" because, there could be an open cable on the
    cable connecting Mark's segment to the backbone.

    I do not believe there is a network layer problem on
    Mark's segment due to the fact he can connect to the
    other computers on his segment so his nic card must work,

    But I am in doubt of my answer because, I thought that he
    could have a network layer problem, as Mark's computer
    only gets up to the data link layer in the OSI, if he
    communicates on his segment. Do physical problems only
    mean none working nic cards? I am confused as to correct
    answer. The backbone router could have a physical
    problem Corrct?
    help please
    stuart J., Oct 10, 2003

  2. stuart J.

    Rick Guest

    Read the Following

    ยท The Network layer addresses messages and translates logical addresses and
    names into physical addresses. It also determines the route from the source
    to the destination computer and manages traffic problems, such as switching,
    routing, and controlling the congestion of data packets.

    The question sounds like there is a problem with the IP routing from that
    segment of the network. The answer is the Network Layer since the Network
    layer is where routing takes place.

    If it where a physical Layer problem mark could not get to other computers
    on his segment.

    It is not a problem with the backbone since no other users have complained
    of problems

    --
    Rick
    Rick, Oct 10, 2003

  3. stuart J.

    JJ Gitties Guest

    for me the "No other users have reported problems" indicates it's something
    on marks segment. but it's a very sloppyly worded question.

    i would say network layer on marks segment.

    for me physical indicates nic's cables e.t.c.. if it was that, mark wouldn't
    be able to conect to hosts on his segment either.

    but mark can connect to hosts on his side of the router but not on the
    other. so there is a routing issue. mark's gateway would be the router end
    on his side. to fix it you would add a static route on marks router end to
    point to the route he can't connect to.

    JJ Gitties, Oct 13, 2003