Network question connection between comps

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JohnF, Apr 22, 2005.

  1. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    I'v been dicking with networking 2 computers at a friends shop, no
    hub, no router, nothing. What I'm having trouble with is I show no
    connection light on either comp when I plug the cable in. I'm using a
    crossover cable between the 2. I've used 2 different cables, supplied
    by SBC, and 2 different NIC's in the 1 computer. My laptop connects to
    other networks and to my home computer with the same cable so I know
    it works OK but I can't get any green lights to come on between these
    2 comps. I actually hooked up a 3rd comp and still get no connection
    lights on the NIC's. Does the IP address and subnet mask need to be
    set to get a connection signal between the NIC's? I haven't done that
    yet. I thought just hooking up the cable and getting the indicator
    lights to glow was a physical connection. I've done this before but
    I've gone stupid here for some reason.

    TIA

    JohnF

    JohnF, Apr 22, 2005

  2. JohnF

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:34:56 GMT, JohnF wrote:

    >I'v been dicking with networking 2 computers at a friends shop, no

    It hurts?

    >hub, no router, nothing. What I'm having trouble with is I show no

    It's usually easier with a repeater (hub) / switch using patch cables
    only.

    >connection light on either comp when I plug the cable in. I'm using a
    >crossover cable between the 2. I've used 2 different cables, supplied
    >by SBC, and 2 different NIC's in the 1 computer. My laptop connects to
    >other networks and to my home computer with the same cable so I know

    Since you say the same cable works on the laptop, try connecting to each
    of the shop PCs to the laptop..

    >it works OK but I can't get any green lights to come on between these
    >2 comps. I actually hooked up a 3rd comp and still get no connection
    >lights on the NIC's. Does the IP address and subnet mask need to be

    No, you don't need an IP/subnet mask at that point.

    >set to get a connection signal between the NIC's? I haven't done that
    >yet. I thought just hooking up the cable and getting the indicator
    >lights to glow was a physical connection. I've done this before but

    The cards appear in device manager?

    There are no errors or warnings, the NIC drivers are installed?

    One card is dud?

    One PC has a dud slot the NIC is sitting in?

    The 2 cards (and the 2nd NIC in one computer) are the same brand /
    different? Maybe it's possible 2 brands don't play together well.

    >I've gone stupid here for some reason.

    It happens.

    >TIA
    >
    >JohnF

    Me

    why?, Apr 22, 2005

  3. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    Bought one of those $7.99 4 port routers from Fry's over the weekend,
    comp works fine now

    JohnF

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:59:26 GMT, why?

    JohnF, Apr 25, 2005