    "All these moments will be lost in time,
    like tears in rain.
    Roy in Blade Runner

    PHYLLIS HEATH, Dec 6, 2005

  2. PHYLLIS HEATH

    Malke Guest

    PHYLLIS HEATH wrote:

    > We recently bought a new computer (HP A1250N) for my wife. We have 2
    > computers and a notebook all running Windows XP. I have repeatedly
    > run the
    > network wizard on the 3 computers. I called the network MSHOME
    > (original,
    > eh?). We use the new computer to share a dialup internet connection.
    >
    > All the computers see the network fine. However, the notebook and my
    > computer see each other, but say I don't have permission to use the
    > new computer (Pavilion) while the Pavilion says it doesn't have
    > permission to
    > access MSHOME. I have pinged the various computers. When I ping the
    > older
    > computers from the new one, it works. When I ping the new one from
    > either
    > old computer, the request times out. How do I fix this?
    >
    > Jim Heath

    It sounds like a misconfigured firewall problem. Make sure you are not
    using multiple firewalls, also giving attention to antivirus programs
    such as Norton that have "Internet Worm Protection" enabled. Have only
    one firewall running and if the SP2 Windows Firewall, enable File &
    Printer Sharing. If you have a third-party firewall, disable the WF
    (running the Network Setup Wizard will have enabled it) and configure
    your firewall program to allow the lan as trusted.

    Here is a network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time
    to go through it and it will pinpoint the problem area(s):

    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Dec 6, 2005

  3. Thank you. Norton Firewall was blocking things. That hadn't occurred to
    me.

    Jim Heath

    PHYLLIS HEATH, Dec 13, 2005
  4. PHYLLIS HEATH

    Malke Guest

    PHYLLIS HEATH wrote:

    > Thank you. Norton Firewall was blocking things. That hadn't occurred
    > to me.

    I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

    Malke

    Malke, Dec 13, 2005
  5. Can you please post the steps you took with Norton Firewall to allow
    connections. Many thanks

    In message <OIz2I19$>, PHYLLIS HEATH
    <> writes

    --