    to share files very nicely -- until we switched routers. :-( any help would
    be appreciated.

    Paula
    Paula, Mar 7, 2008

  2. Plug the machines into a physical Switch with physical cables to make sure
    you haven't got the sharing on the machines all screwed up and it has
    nothing to do with the "router".
    You can use the switch built into the "router" if that is all you have.

    The wireless part is either working or it is not. It is not going to simply
    effect the ability to "share" and leave everything else working.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Mar 7, 2008

  3. Paula

    Paula Guest

    We cannot hard-wire the Windows XP computer. It does not have anywhere for a
    cable, only a wireless card with the antenna. I know it is not an issue with
    the router -- my issue is how to get the network running again. :-(

    Paula

    Paula, Mar 7, 2008
  4. Paula

    John Guest

    Have a look at WRT54G settings. There's an option there to "isolate" all
    wireless PCs. I can't remember what it says exactly because I don't have my
    WRT54G in front of me now. It's also a good idea to disable any type of
    software firewall temporarily until you get it working.

    John, Mar 7, 2008
  5. Paula

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 7, 1:29 pm, Paula <> wrote:
    > We cannot hard-wire the Windows XP computer.  It does not have anywhere for a
    > cable, only a wireless card with the antenna.  I know it is not an issue with
    > the router -- my issue is how to get the network running again. :-(
    >
    > Paula
    >

    > "Phillip Windell" wrote:
    > > Plug the machines into a physical Switch with physical cables to make sure
    > > you haven't got the sharing on the machines all screwed up and it  has
    > > nothing to do with the "router".
    > > You can use the switch built into the "router" if that is all you have.

    > > The wireless part is either working or it is not.  It is not going to simply
    > > effect the ability to "share" and leave everything else working.

    > > --
    > > Phillip Windell
    > >www.wandtv.com

    > > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
    > > or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.

    > > "Paula" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hello.  We recently purchased a Linksys WRT54G-TM Hotspot router.  It was
    > > > setup on a Windows 2000 machine through regular cable, but we also have a
    > > > Windows XP system running wireless.  Now we cannot find each other on the
    > > > network, nor can we share files, etc.  I've tried numerous things from the
    > > > router firewall to firewalls someplace else, but nothing is working.  Can
    > > > someone please provide step-by-step what needs to be done?  We both us AVG
    > > > antivirus software, but it was never a problem last time.  We used to be
    > > > able
    > > > to share files very nicely -- until we switched routers. :-(  any help
    > > > would
    > > > be appreciated.

    > > > Paula- Hide quoted text -

    Check to see if the two PC:

    1) On the same Workgroup / Domain

    2) Same IP network (192.168.1.xxx - 192.168.1.yyy / Subnet mask:
    255.255.255.0)

    3) Let File / Printer sharing thru the firewall system (aka Exceptions
    in XP SP2 firewall)

    4) Configure anti-virus software's Internet work blocking module to
    let access to the network shares. This type of modules behave just
    like firewalls.
    smlunatick, Mar 7, 2008
  6. Paula

    Lem Guest

    Paula wrote:
    > Hello. We recently purchased a Linksys WRT54G-TM Hotspot router. It was
    > setup on a Windows 2000 machine through regular cable, but we also have a
    > Windows XP system running wireless. Now we cannot find each other on the
    > network, nor can we share files, etc. I've tried numerous things from the
    > router firewall to firewalls someplace else, but nothing is working. Can
    > someone please provide step-by-step what needs to be done? We both us AVG
    > antivirus software, but it was never a problem last time. We used to be able
    > to share files very nicely -- until we switched routers. :-( any help would
    > be appreciated.
    >
    > Paula

    The "isolation" option John mentioned is normally "off" by default. I'm
    not familiar with your particular model of Linksys router, but if it
    really has "Hotspot" in the name, perhaps the default for this setting
    is changed. Log into the router's configuration screens and look at the
    "Wireless" tab then "Advanced Wireless Settings." "AP Isolation" is at
    the bottom of the page.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Mar 7, 2008
  7. Paula

    John Guest

    Great point, Lem.

    John, Mar 7, 2008
  8. Hi
    Unfortunately this seems to be prevalent trouble with the TM Hotspot
    router. With No official solution.
    In any case every computer can be made to work with a cable.
    If you do not have a wire Network card you can install one.
    If you can Not open the computer and install a PCI Network card, there are
    USB to Ethernet adapters
    If it a Laptop there are PCMCIA to Ethernet adapters.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 7, 2008