Network problem.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Vampire13, Feb 8, 2010.

  1. Vampire13

    Vampire13 Guest

    I just recently did the upgrade to W7 from VISTA Home Premium 64Bit for
    the second time. The first time, I had issues with Start up and with a
    very slow boot which I was unable to resolve. The result was a need to
    restore the machine to the original factory setup using the HP restore
    disks. Quite the pain since everything needed to be updated, Windows as
    well as HP.

    This is an HP Pavilion KY811AA-ABA e9120y with 8 gigs ram and plenty of
    hd space. I redid the upgrade according to HP's Upgrade Adviser disks
    and things seemed to go much better than the first upgrade. BTW, the W7
    upgrade disks were provided free by HP so I did not attempt a clean
    install. That said, the only major problem I have is that my system will
    not remember the information needed to sign on to the Network and the
    Internet.

    I need to enter the password each time in order to go on line and even
    though the "remember" box is always checked, the information is not
    remembered. And, if there is extended idle time, I am disconnected
    without warning. I did not have this problem prior to the upgrade. I
    wonder if one of you might have some suggestions on how to fix this.

    I did search Windows knowledge base without any success and some other
    sites that had related information but it all applied to earlier
    versions of Windows. I took a look at my system but files and registry
    fixes mentioned do not appear in W7. Sorry I don't remember the info,
    kind of like my network problem. Thanks in advance for any aid you can
    provide.

    Vampire13, Feb 8, 2010

  2. Vampire13

    James Kosin Guest

    Try uninstalling and reinstalling the HP Connection Manager if
    installed. HP recently revised it's bulletins and the Connection
    Manager and the HP QuickLaunch Buttons applications cause problems with
    the upgrade process.

    James

    James Kosin, Feb 9, 2010

  3. Vampire13

    Vampire13 Guest

    Thanks James, unfortunately I cannot find any evidence that the
    "Connection Manager" is present on my machine. I'll check their web site
    to see if there is any reference to the application for W7.

    Ed

    Vampire13, Feb 9, 2010
  4. Vampire13

    James Kosin Guest

    On 2/9/2010 1:28 AM, Vampire13 wrote:
    > Thanks James, unfortunately I cannot find any evidence that the
    > "Connection Manager" is present on my machine. I'll check their web site
    > to see if there is any reference to the application for W7.
    >
    > Ed
    >

    > James Kosin wrote:
    >> Try uninstalling and reinstalling the HP Connection Manager if
    >> installed. HP recently revised it's bulletins and the Connection
    >> Manager and the HP QuickLaunch Buttons applications cause problems with
    >> the upgrade process.
    >>
    >> James

    Ed,

    First, sorry about the confusion. Thought you were talking about a laptop.
    Did you remember to unplug the network when you upgraded?

    NOTE: If you are using the HP Upgrade Assistant DVD, after successfully
    upgrading to Windows 7, do not connect to the Internet. Unplug the LAN
    cable, do not set up your wireless LAN, and do not connect to the
    Internet using a modem. Connect to the Internet only after you have
    completed Phase 3: Post Install by running the HPUA icon on the desktop
    and have restarted your computer. This is necessary to prevent driver
    and software update conflicts that can arise between the HP Upgrade
    Assistant DVD, Windows Update and HP Update.

    James Kosin, Feb 9, 2010
  5. Vampire13

    Vampire13 Guest

    James Kosin wrote:
    > On 2/9/2010 1:28 AM, Vampire13 wrote:
    >> Thanks James, unfortunately I cannot find any evidence that the
    >> "Connection Manager" is present on my machine. I'll check their web site
    >> to see if there is any reference to the application for W7.
    >>
    >> Ed
    >>

    >> James Kosin wrote:
    >>> Try uninstalling and reinstalling the HP Connection Manager if
    >>> installed. HP recently revised it's bulletins and the Connection
    >>> Manager and the HP QuickLaunch Buttons applications cause problems with
    >>> the upgrade process.
    >>>
    >>> James
    >>>

    > Ed,
    >
    > First, sorry about the confusion. Thought you were talking about a laptop.
    > Did you remember to unplug the network when you upgraded?
    >

    > NOTE: If you are using the HP Upgrade Assistant DVD, after successfully
    > upgrading to Windows 7, do not connect to the Internet. Unplug the LAN
    > cable, do not set up your wireless LAN, and do not connect to the
    > Internet using a modem. Connect to the Internet only after you have
    > completed Phase 3: Post Install by running the HPUA icon on the desktop
    > and have restarted your computer. This is necessary to prevent driver
    > and software update conflicts that can arise between the HP Upgrade
    > Assistant DVD, Windows Update and HP Update.

    James:

    I did follow the script in Part 3: Post Installation. The instructions
    only mention disconnecting the LAN (wired) cable if present. This
    machine is wireless and as far as I can tell did not access the Network
    during the wrap up. There was no task bar indication that the Network
    was active.

    Ed

    Vampire13, Feb 9, 2010
  6. Vampire13

    James Kosin Guest

    On 2/9/2010 1:50 PM, Vampire13 wrote:

    > James:
    >
    > I did follow the script in Part 3: Post Installation. The instructions
    > only mention disconnecting the LAN (wired) cable if present. This
    > machine is wireless and as far as I can tell did not access the Network
    > during the wrap up. There was no task bar indication that the Network
    > was active.
    >
    > Ed

    Ed,

    You may want to touch base with HP on this issue. They may already know
    about it; or check the HP forums.

    Try this one:
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchS...er-upgrade-to/m-p/186597/highlight/true#M2799

    James

    James Kosin, Feb 9, 2010
  7. Vampire13

    Vampire13 Guest

    James Kosin wrote:
    > On 2/9/2010 1:50 PM, Vampire13 wrote:
    >>
    >> James:
    >>
    >> I did follow the script in Part 3: Post Installation. The instructions
    >> only mention disconnecting the LAN (wired) cable if present. This
    >> machine is wireless and as far as I can tell did not access the Network
    >> during the wrap up. There was no task bar indication that the Network
    >> was active.
    >>
    >> Ed

    > Ed,
    >
    > You may want to touch base with HP on this issue. They may already know
    > about it; or check the HP forums.
    >
    > Try this one:
    > http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchS...er-upgrade-to/m-p/186597/highlight/true#M2799
    >
    > James

    James:

    Thanks, the wired machine is my sons. he currently works away from home
    and will be here on Friday. I'll work this fix with him and let you know
    if it works. Remember, I can connect I just need to enter the password
    every time. The solution seems to indicate the OP could not connect
    unless he changed his security setup. Close, but not quite the same
    problem. I appreciate your efforts since I am not very good at handling
    forum searches.

    Ed

    Vampire13, Feb 10, 2010