network problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by softnfurry, Aug 8, 2009.

  1. softnfurry

    softnfurry Guest

    I have used a crossover cable to network a Vista home premium sp2 laptop
    with an XP pro sp3 desktop.
    I have set IP addresses etc as per
    http://www.home-network-help.com/configuring-ip.html

    All is fine except that I cannot share the second Hdrive partition on the
    Vista
    Laptop.
    The XP desktop shares all drives and the usual shared folders.
    The Vista laptop has shared the public folders, but whatever I do I cannot
    get it to share the whole second partition ( D: ) to the desktop.

    The XP desktop can see it in network places, "//laptop/D" but on trying to
    open it on the desktop I get an "unavailable for sharing " error.

    How do I set the vista laptop to share the whole partition?
    Do I have to share each of the hundreds of folders individually?

    When I right click the D: Partition on the Laptop, under properties,
    sharing, it says it is shared, with the button greyed out.

    Do I need to go further in and mess with permissions etc?
    The only user is an administrator and no password is set at all on the
    Vista Laptop...

    Thanks

    softnfurry, Aug 8, 2009

  2. softnfurry

    PeeCee Guest

    "softnfurry" <.> wrote in message
    >I have used a crossover cable to network a Vista home premium sp2 laptop
    >with an XP pro sp3 desktop.
    > I have set IP addresses etc as per
    > http://www.home-network-help.com/configuring-ip.html
    >
    > All is fine except that I cannot share the second Hdrive partition on the
    > Vista
    > Laptop.
    > The XP desktop shares all drives and the usual shared folders.
    > The Vista laptop has shared the public folders, but whatever I do I cannot
    > get it to share the whole second partition ( D: ) to the desktop.
    >
    > The XP desktop can see it in network places, "//laptop/D" but on trying to
    > open it on the desktop I get an "unavailable for sharing " error.
    >
    > How do I set the vista laptop to share the whole partition?
    > Do I have to share each of the hundreds of folders individually?
    >
    > When I right click the D: Partition on the Laptop, under properties,
    > sharing, it says it is shared, with the button greyed out.
    >
    > Do I need to go further in and mess with permissions etc?
    > The only user is an administrator and no password is set at all on the
    > Vista Laptop...
    >
    > Thanks

    Vista by design does not allow the root of a drive to be shared.
    (sigh don't you love how MS knows better than you)

    Instructions here to share the root of a drive under Vista.
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/1008-how-share-root-drive-under-vista.html

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 8, 2009

  3. PeeCee, ye sour-faced proud, thou art melancholy without cause, ye
    exuded:

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH! You comeplete and utter dumbfuck ****.

    --
    Evoker of madness

    Hu Flung Dung, Aug 8, 2009
  4. softnfurry

    Art Deco Guest

    On Aug 7, 7:59 pm, "\"The Great One\"" <>
    wrote:
    > "Hu Flung Dung" <> wrote in messagenews:5j2uez$f25$-crapper.biz.suriname...
    >
    > > PeeCee, ye sour-faced proud, thou art melancholy without cause, ye
    > > exuded:

    > > > Vista by design does not allow the root of a drive to be shared.

    > > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH! You comeplete and utter dumbfuck ****.

    > Says Rick Mather to his mirror !!
    > --
    > HJ

    LOL!
    --
    Art Deco

    Art Deco, Aug 8, 2009
  5. softnfurry

    chuckcar Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in news:h5ihi9$2db$:

    > "softnfurry" <.> wrote in message
    >>I have used a crossover cable to network a Vista home premium sp2 laptop
    >>with an XP pro sp3 desktop.
    >> I have set IP addresses etc as per
    >> http://www.home-network-help.com/configuring-ip.html
    >>

    > Vista by design does not allow the root of a drive to be shared.
    > (sigh don't you love how MS knows better than you)

    About time they started doing this. Long overdue. It's a *severe* security
    flaw if you allow it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Aug 8, 2009
  6. softnfurry

    softnfurry Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > "softnfurry" <.> wrote in message
    >>I have used a crossover cable to network a Vista home premium sp2 laptop
    >>with an XP pro sp3 desktop.
    >> I have set IP addresses etc as per
    >> http://www.home-network-help.com/configuring-ip.html
    >>
    >> All is fine except that I cannot share the second Hdrive partition on
    >> the Vista
    >> Laptop.
    >> The XP desktop shares all drives and the usual shared folders.
    >> The Vista laptop has shared the public folders, but whatever I do I
    >> cannot
    >> get it to share the whole second partition ( D: ) to the desktop.
    >>
    >> The XP desktop can see it in network places, "//laptop/D" but on trying
    >> open it on the desktop I get an "unavailable for sharing " error.
    >>
    >> How do I set the vista laptop to share the whole partition?
    >> Do I have to share each of the hundreds of folders individually?
    >>
    >> When I right click the D: Partition on the Laptop, under properties,
    >> sharing, it says it is shared, with the button greyed out.
    >>
    >> Do I need to go further in and mess with permissions etc?
    >> The only user is an administrator and no password is set at all on the
    >> Vista Laptop...
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Vista by design does not allow the root of a drive to be shared.
    > (sigh don't you love how MS knows better than you)
    >
    > Instructions here to share the root of a drive under Vista.
    > http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/1008-how-share-root-drive-under-vista.html
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    My hero...