Network Problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rider, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. Rider

    Rider Guest

    Well its a problem over a network. Up until yesterday, a client could open
    files across their small network change the file then 'Save As' back to the
    directory from where it came (off another pc on the network) Yesterday when
    she tries to save the file, it tells her the location is inaccessible (even
    thogh she opened the file from that location) or its password protected
    (which it isn't) or it has a / or \ in the filename (which it hasn't). And
    it won't save the file.

    From a different computer on the same network this all works fine, and had
    worked fine on her pc up until yesterday. She is using XP Pro and Office
    2003.
    Could an update have caused this? I've checked all the settings etc etc, but
    nothing has changed from when I first put this pc on the network (which has
    worked fine for over a week).

    The folders she is accessing are all marked as 'full access' (its a Win98
    box).

    Anyone have any thoughts about this? Things to check? I've tried Googling
    (maybe my search string was off base) and tried the MS Newsgroups with no
    luck.

    Any help is appreciated.

    (I expect this will be something incredibly obvious)

    Rider

    Rider, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Rider

    JC Guest

    JC, Mar 17, 2005

  3. Rider

    Rider Guest

    Rider, Mar 17, 2005
  4. Rider

    Steve Guest

    Is it a drive mapping you're trying to save to? what drive letter is it -
    out of curiosity - and how high up do your local drives go? you don't have a
    Card reader plugged in?

    Steve, Mar 17, 2005
  5. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Is it a drive mapping you're trying to save to? what drive letter is it -
    > out of curiosity - and how high up do your local drives go? you don't have
    > Card reader plugged in?

    Its a basic setup. 4 machines using 192.168.1.*

    Two machines are Win98SE. Other two are XP, one is Pro with Off 2003.

    Nothing plugged in to them. Drives aren't mapped, some arent turned on for
    days at a time.

    She opens Network via desktop icon. Goes to the folder on the Win98 machine
    where the documents are, opens a file. Changes the file, then tries to "save
    as" .... it then brings up the error I mentioned. It hadnt being doing this
    for the whole of the week previous (or just over a week). Should could
    rename files and save them fine. Now it doesnt.

    :$

    Rider

    Rider, Mar 17, 2005
  6. Rider

    Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:29:43 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >"Steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it a drive mapping you're trying to save to? what drive letter is it -
    >> out of curiosity - and how high up do your local drives go? you don't have
    >> Card reader plugged in?
    >>

    >Its a basic setup. 4 machines using 192.168.1.*
    >
    >Two machines are Win98SE. Other two are XP, one is Pro with Off 2003.
    >
    >Nothing plugged in to them. Drives aren't mapped, some arent turned on for
    >days at a time.
    >
    >She opens Network via desktop icon. Goes to the folder on the Win98 machine
    >where the documents are, opens a file. Changes the file, then tries to "save
    >as" .... it then brings up the error I mentioned. It hadnt being doing this
    >for the whole of the week previous (or just over a week). Should could
    >rename files and save them fine. Now it doesnt.

    Read only attribute on the file she is trying to overwrite ?

    , Mar 17, 2005
  7. Rider

    Rider Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:29:43 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Steve" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is it a drive mapping you're trying to save to? what drive letter is
    >>> it -
    >>> out of curiosity - and how high up do your local drives go? you don't
    >>> have
    >>> Card reader plugged in?
    >>>

    >>Its a basic setup. 4 machines using 192.168.1.*
    >>
    >>Two machines are Win98SE. Other two are XP, one is Pro with Off 2003.
    >>
    >>Nothing plugged in to them. Drives aren't mapped, some arent turned on for
    >>days at a time.
    >>
    >>She opens Network via desktop icon. Goes to the folder on the Win98
    >>machine
    >>where the documents are, opens a file. Changes the file, then tries to
    >>"save
    >>as" .... it then brings up the error I mentioned. It hadnt being doing
    >>this
    >>for the whole of the week previous (or just over a week). Should could
    >>rename files and save them fine. Now it doesnt.
    >>

    > Read only attribute on the file she is trying to overwrite ?

    Nope, checked the attributes. I wish it was that simple.

    Rider, Mar 17, 2005
  8. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > Well its a problem over a network. Up until yesterday, a client could
    > open files across their small network change the file then 'Save As' back
    > to the directory from where it came (off another pc on the network)
    > Yesterday when she tries to save the file, it tells her the location is
    > inaccessible (even thogh she opened the file from that location) or its
    > password protected (which it isn't) or it has a / or \ in the filename
    > (which it hasn't). And it won't save the file.
    >
    > From a different computer on the same network this all works fine, and had
    > worked fine on her pc up until yesterday. She is using XP Pro and Office
    > 2003.
    > Could an update have caused this? I've checked all the settings etc etc,
    > but nothing has changed from when I first put this pc on the network
    > (which has worked fine for over a week).
    >
    > The folders she is accessing are all marked as 'full access' (its a Win98
    > box).
    >
    > Anyone have any thoughts about this? Things to check? I've tried Googling
    > (maybe my search string was off base) and tried the MS Newsgroups with no
    > luck.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > (I expect this will be something incredibly obvious)
    >
    > Rider

    This is now fixed. There is a security update, KB885250 which creates this
    problem. Uninstall the update and all is working as it should be.

    Rider

    Rider, Mar 18, 2005