    is there any way to keep the power to the broadband modem "alive" so the
    second pc can still access the net while the first pc is on stand by.

    thanks in advance.

    cath senior, Nov 16, 2004

  2. cath senior

    Dana Brash Guest

    Hi Cath,

    The short answer is that system1 must stay powered on in order for system2
    (the upstairs computer) to reach the internet.

    When your system goes into standby, it dumps the RAM and current state to
    the hiberfile.sys on the harddrive, shuts down Windows and then powers off
    the machine. When you power your system back up from Standby, Windows will
    read the 'current' state information from the hibefile.sys and restore
    windows to where you left off. Regardless, when your system is in standby,
    it is actually shut down.

    It sounds like you've got a broadband connection shared out on one PC, and
    that you've set up an Ad-hoc network between system1 and system2 for the
    sake of sharing the broadband connection. You've probably enabled Internet
    Connection Sharing (ICS) or Routing and Remote Access (RRAS ~ only if you're
    running Server) to allow the second PC access to the broadband.

    ICS, RRAS, and your modem for that matter, ALL rely not only on power, but
    on their required services in Windows in order to function.

    --
    HTH,
    =d=

    Dana Brash
    MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA

    "cath senior" <> wrote in message
    > i am networking 2 computers wirelessly, all is ok but my broadband modem

    is
    > usb powered so whenever i put my first pc into standby or shut down it

    cuts
    > the power supply to the modem so the networked computer upstairs cant

    access

    Dana Brash, Nov 16, 2004