    I do format both computers from time to time but this last format is the
    first time that computer B cannot see A`s hard drive.
    Probably a small thing to correct it, but what?
    tomm, Jul 29, 2004

  2. tomm

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "tomm" <> wrote in news:410971f0$0$6445$cc9e4d1f@news-
    text.dial.pipex.com:

    > 2 computers both running xp pro networked together with network cards &
    > 10/100 crossover cable.
    > XP network wizard run on both and both hard drives enabled for

    sharing.
    > They also share an internet connection ok.
    > Computer A can see computer B`s drive ok in "my computer/ my network
    > places".
    > But Computer B cannot see Computer A`s drive.
    > I do format both computers from time to time but this last format is

    the
    > first time that computer B cannot see A`s hard drive.
    > Probably a small thing to correct it, but what?

    You may want to use NWlink as the network protocol. A guy at work was
    using the default NetBeui on his XP Pro machines and he couldn't get them
    to network. He switched to NWlink and problem solved.

    NWlink is the protocol I use on the Win 2K and XP Pro machines.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_NWLnkconcepts.htm

    You should uninstall the NetBeui protocol first; otherwise, you'll jack
    the TCP/IP Stack on the O/S.

    You may want to use IPsec that's on the O/S to supplement a PFW solution,
    since one of the XP machines is a gateway device. You'll want to protect
    the Windows networking ports even more.

    http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

    The AnalogX SecPol file is an easy implementation and provides instant
    protection.

    With a direct connect of an XP machine as the gateway device, you should
    *harden* both the O/S(s) on the machines to attack.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    Better yet is to get a cheap NAT router that cost as much as a PFW
    solution and use it as the gateway device for the LAN and WAN.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 29, 2004

  3. tomm

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "tomm" <> wrote in message
    > 2 computers both running xp pro networked together with network cards &
    > 10/100 crossover cable.
    > XP network wizard run on both and both hard drives enabled for sharing.
    > They also share an internet connection ok.
    > Computer A can see computer B`s drive ok in "my computer/ my network
    > places".
    > But Computer B cannot see Computer A`s drive.
    > I do format both computers from time to time but this last format is the
    > first time that computer B cannot see A`s hard drive.
    > Probably a small thing to correct it, but what?

    routine formatting? i hope this is a typo...

    basic peer to peer networking:
    same workgroup
    create an account on both machines
    create the shares (folders are preferred than just sharing the HD) with
    permissions
    delete the everyone group

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Jul 30, 2004
  4. tomm

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > "tomm" <> wrote in news:410971f0$0$6445$cc9e4d1f@news-
    > text.dial.pipex.com:
    >

    > You may want to use NWlink as the network protocol. A guy at work was
    > using the default NetBeui on his XP Pro machines and he couldn't get them
    > to network. He switched to NWlink and problem solved.
    >
    > NWlink is the protocol I use on the Win 2K and XP Pro machines.

    nwlink is mainly used for non-native connectivity with novell networks.
    if you really want to be excentric, you can install appletalk or even DLC

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Jul 30, 2004
  5. tomm

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote in

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >> "tomm" <> wrote in news:410971f0$0$6445$cc9e4d1f@news-
    >> text.dial.pipex.com:
    >>

    >> You may want to use NWlink as the network protocol. A guy at work was
    >> using the default NetBeui on his XP Pro machines and he couldn't get
    >> them to network. He switched to NWlink and problem solved.
    >>
    >> NWlink is the protocol I use on the Win 2K and XP Pro machines.

    > nwlink is mainly used for non-native connectivity with novell
    > networks. if you really want to be excentric, you can install
    > appletalk or even DLC

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_NWLnkconcepts.htm

    I must have missed something in the link. I didn't miss the fact that I
    couldn't get two Win 2K machine one wireless and one not wireless to
    share resources on a BEFW11S4 router with WEP enabled using NetBeui.
    NWlink solved the issue.

    I didn't miss the fact that the guy who I work with that has two Win XP
    Pro workstations and is as competent as I about the MS O/S couldn't get
    them to network using a Linksys router non wireless and the NetBeui
    protocol. He got it to work using NWlink.

    On the other hand, his father who he did the setup for using the same
    above setup using NetBeui worked.

    I think that if you search Google you'll find plenty of articles on the
    use of the NWlink protocol as an alternative solution in MS networking.

    I must have missed soemthing in the link.

    http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/546/546.html

    Why should one beat their head up against the wall when one doesn't have
    too? NWlink is a viable solution.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 30, 2004
  6. tomm

    > "tomm" <> wrote in message
    >> 2 computers both running xp pro networked together with network cards
    >> & 10/100 crossover cable.
    >> XP network wizard run on both and both hard drives enabled for
    >> sharing.
    >> They also share an internet connection ok.
    >> Computer A can see computer B`s drive ok in "my computer/ my
    >> network
    >> places".
    >> But Computer B cannot see Computer A`s drive.
    >> I do format both computers from time to time but this last format is
    >> the
    >> first time that computer B cannot see A`s hard drive.
    >> Probably a small thing to correct it, but what?

    > routine formatting? i hope this is a typo...
    >
    > basic peer to peer networking:
    > same workgroup
    > create an account on both machines
    > create the shares (folders are preferred than just sharing the HD)
    > with permissions
    > delete the everyone group
    >
    > -a|ex

    One other thing, I worked in the MS/Novell environment for a couple of
    years.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 30, 2004
  7. If Computer A has been formatted NTFS and B Fat 32 B will not be able to
    read A

    --

    Regards,

    wigwam118

    Terry Ponsford, Jul 30, 2004
  8. tomm

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Terry Ponsford" <> wrote in news:807df$410a29ce$d54e157a
    $-service-com:

    > If Computer A has been formatted NTFS and B Fat 32 B will not be able

    > read A

    I don't think that's true. My Win 2k PRO work laptop is FAT32 that I
    bring home and connect to my network. The Win 2K and XP PRO machines on
    the network are NTFS and I am pretty sure I have exchanged files between
    the two in both directions, as s I recall.

    So you're telling me that a Win 2K server on a network, like at the job,
    that's NTFS and has shared folders on it and my Win 2K machine that's
    FAT32 and the FAT32 machine cannot access the shared folders on the
    server, because one is using NTFS and the other is using FAT32?

    Now, if both machines are not using the same network protocols and cannot
    access each other because of that, I could see that.

    So what about a Win 9'x or ME O/S machine on a network that can only have
    FAT or FAT32 that's and it needs access to a shared folder on a server
    that's NTFS? I guess there will be no access there too.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 30, 2004
  9. tomm

    Gordon Guest

    > "Terry Ponsford" <> wrote in news:807df$410a29ce$d54e157a
    > $-service-com:
    >
    > > If Computer A has been formatted NTFS and B Fat 32 B will not be able

    > > read A
    > >

    > I don't think that's true. My Win 2k PRO work laptop is FAT32 that I
    > bring home and connect to my network. The Win 2K and XP PRO machines on
    > the network are NTFS and I am pretty sure I have exchanged files between
    > the two in both directions, as s I recall.
    >
    > So you're telling me that a Win 2K server on a network, like at the job,
    > that's NTFS and has shared folders on it and my Win 2K machine that's
    > FAT32 and the FAT32 machine cannot access the shared folders on the
    > server, because one is using NTFS and the other is using FAT32?
    >
    > Now, if both machines are not using the same network protocols and cannot
    > access each other because of that, I could see that.
    >
    > So what about a Win 9'x or ME O/S machine on a network that can only have
    > FAT or FAT32 that's and it needs access to a shared folder on a server
    > that's NTFS? I guess there will be no access there too.
    >
    > Duane :)

    that's quite correct - it's only on the local machine that the FAT32/NTFS
    thing is a problem.
    Gordon, Jul 30, 2004
  10. tomm

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Terry Ponsford" <> wrote in news:807df$410a29ce$d54e157a
    $-service-com:

    > If Computer A has been formatted NTFS and B Fat 32 B will not be able to
    > read A

    Completely not true. Not only is is possible for B to see files on A, it
    is even possible for a Windows 98 or 2000 computer with a FAT, FAT32, or
    NTFS partition to read files on a Linux ext2/3 partition over a network.

    The local partitioning doesn't matter.
    Jim Berwick, Jul 30, 2004
  11. tomm

    svek Guest

    Duane Arnold <> wrote in message news:<Xns9535CDFD3F62Cnotmenotmecom@204.127.204.17>...

    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_NWLnkconcepts.htm
    >
    > I must have missed something in the link. I didn't miss the fact that I
    > couldn't get two Win 2K machine one wireless and one not wireless to
    > share resources on a BEFW11S4 router with WEP enabled using NetBeui.
    > NWlink solved the issue.

    This article clearly states that nwlink is used when you are
    using/accessing a novell netware network, it even states that you are
    using IPX/SPX protocol when using nwlink.
    Why not just use a IP network instead of a IPX network unless you got
    netware servers to access, and even then I have a hard time
    understanding the use for IPX since IP is more or less standard these
    days even if you are running netware.

    /svek
    svek, Jul 30, 2004
  12. tomm

    Duane Arnold Guest

    (svek) wrote in

    > Duane Arnold <> wrote in message
    >
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_NWLnkconcepts.
    >> htm
    >>
    >> I must have missed something in the link. I didn't miss the fact that
    >> I couldn't get two Win 2K machine one wireless and one not wireless
    >> to share resources on a BEFW11S4 router with WEP enabled using
    >> NetBeui. NWlink solved the issue.

    > This article clearly states that nwlink is used when you are
    > using/accessing a novell netware network, it even states that you are
    > using IPX/SPX protocol when using nwlink.
    > Why not just use a IP network instead of a IPX network unless you got
    > netware servers to access, and even then I have a hard time
    > understanding the use for IPX since IP is more or less standard these
    > days even if you are running netware.
    >
    > /svek

    <snip>

    You can also use NWLink in small networks that only use Windows 2000 and
    other Microsoft client software.

    <snip>

    It also clearly states that as well and my home network is a small
    network. That's how I see it. And I think in the caption on the NIC
    properties on the Win 2K O/S when using NWlink, it states *NwLink used
    too allow MS machines to network* or something like that.

    All one has to do is search Google and you find pently of articles about
    using NWlink.

    http://www.tomax7.com/winxp/Windows XP Network Protocol1.doc

    I have not seen you around in awhile. How are things going for you, fine
    I hope?

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 30, 2004
  13. tomm

    Rosco Guest

    Duane Arnold cried out

    > (svek) wrote in
    >
    >> Duane Arnold <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_NWLnkconc
    >>> epts. htm
    >>>
    >>> I must have missed something in the link. I didn't miss the fact
    >>> that I couldn't get two Win 2K machine one wireless and one not
    >>> wireless to share resources on a BEFW11S4 router with WEP
    >>> enabled using NetBeui. NWlink solved the issue.

    >> This article clearly states that nwlink is used when you are
    >> using/accessing a novell netware network, it even states that you
    >> are using IPX/SPX protocol when using nwlink.
    >> Why not just use a IP network instead of a IPX network unless you
    >> got netware servers to access, and even then I have a hard time
    >> understanding the use for IPX since IP is more or less standard
    >> these days even if you are running netware.
    >>
    >> /svek
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > You can also use NWLink in small networks that only use Windows
    > 2000 and other Microsoft client software.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > It also clearly states that as well and my home network is a small
    > network. That's how I see it. And I think in the caption on the
    > NIC properties on the Win 2K O/S when using NWlink, it states
    > *NwLink used too allow MS machines to network* or something like
    > that.
    >
    > All one has to do is search Google and you find pently of articles
    > about using NWlink.
    >
    > http://www.tomax7.com/winxp/Windows XP Network Protocol1.doc
    >
    > I have not seen you around in awhile. How are things going for
    > you, fine I hope?
    >
    > Duane :)

    Before my laptop was stolen, it ran WinXP Home (NTFS) my pc running
    Windows98se(FAT32) was able to read and write to the laptop accross
    my network and vice verse. Local partitioning is irrelevent as long
    as netwrok protcolls are simmialr. Correct?
    Rosco, Aug 1, 2004
  14. tomm

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Rosco <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold cried out
    >
    >> (svek) wrote in
    >>
    >>> Duane Arnold <> wrote in message

    >>> This article clearly states that nwlink is used when you are
    >>> using/accessing a novell netware network, it even states that you
    >>> are using IPX/SPX protocol when using nwlink.
    >>> Why not just use a IP network instead of a IPX network unless you
    >>> got netware servers to access, and even then I have a hard time
    >>> understanding the use for IPX since IP is more or less standard
    >>> these days even if you are running netware.
    >>>
    >>> /svek
    >>>

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> You can also use NWLink in small networks that only use Windows
    >> 2000 and other Microsoft client software.
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> It also clearly states that as well and my home network is a small
    >> network. That's how I see it. And I think in the caption on the
    >> NIC properties on the Win 2K O/S when using NWlink, it states
    >> *NwLink used too allow MS machines to network* or something like
    >> that.
    >>
    >> All one has to do is search Google and you find pently of articles
    >> about using NWlink.
    >>
    >> http://www.tomax7.com/winxp/Windows XP Network Protocol1.doc
    >>
    >> I have not seen you around in awhile. How are things going for
    >> you, fine I hope?
    >>
    >> Duane :)
    >>

    > Before my laptop was stolen, it ran WinXP Home (NTFS) my pc running
    > Windows98se(FAT32) was able to read and write to the laptop accross
    > my network and vice verse. Local partitioning is irrelevent as long
    > as netwrok protcolls are simmialr. Correct?

    If one machine is FAT, another one FAT32 and another one is NTFS you
    should have no problem. As far as local partitioning, it will only come
    into play if the machine was duel boot with one partition for Win 9'x
    using FAT32 and the other one NT based using NTFS, as I understand it you
    cannot access them that way on the local machine. However, depending upon
    the boot-up, one should be able to access either one on the network. I
    have had a NT based machine with one partition FAT32 and the other one
    NTFS and access on the network was not an issue.

    The protocols do have to match.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 1, 2004