    I`ve not changed any settings to my knowledge so i`m stuck.

    Any quick solutions for people who may know.

    thanks

    GED, Nov 10, 2003

  2. GED wrote:

    > Hi -
    > Recently i`ve had a small problem that is annoying me, hope someone knows
    > what maybe causing this. I have 5 computers running on a Lan connected
    > through a netgear router, 2 with xp and the other 3 with win98se.
    > the xp machines seem ok but the win98 machines seem to hang when trying to
    > view the connected computers through network neibourhood.
    > the egg timer comes up and stays there for ages.
    > I can ping all machines from the win98 computers so that side is ok.
    > I`ve not changed any settings to my knowledge so i`m stuck.
    >
    > Any quick solutions for people who may know.

    May seem a little dumb/obvious.. but it bit me inna ass at first:
    You sure the FireWall settings (if any) + workgroup names are all set
    correctly? (Like I said - sounds dumb, but at 2am you'd be amazed at
    what you overlook.)

    Good Luck - I'm pulling for you.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Nov 10, 2003

  3. GED

    GED Guest

    "BuffNET Tech Support wrote

    > May seem a little dumb/obvious.. but it bit me inna ass at first:
    > You sure the FireWall settings (if any) + workgroup names are all set
    > correctly? (Like I said - sounds dumb, but at 2am you'd be amazed at
    > what you overlook.)
    >
    > Good Luck - I'm pulling for you.

    Ged wrote==
    Yea i tried knocking Zonealarm off from one of the xp machines but no joy,
    would the firewall interfere seen as i can ping all machines
    and if i type the direct network path its ok.
    seems like the network browser has monged it a bit.

    GED, Nov 10, 2003
  4. GED

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:46:29 -0000, "GED" <> wrote:

    >Hi -
    >Recently i`ve had a small problem that is annoying me, hope someone knows
    >what maybe causing this. I have 5 computers running on a Lan connected
    >through a netgear router, 2 with xp and the other 3 with win98se.
    >the xp machines seem ok but the win98 machines seem to hang when trying to
    >view the connected computers through network neibourhood.
    >the egg timer comes up and stays there for ages.
    >I can ping all machines from the win98 computers so that side is ok.
    >I`ve not changed any settings to my knowledge so i`m stuck.
    >
    >Any quick solutions for people who may know.
    >
    >thanks

    Is it XP with SP1 ? solves a lot of XP's workgroup LAN issues
    Firewall disabled on the XP PCs?

    You can try creating the same user/password on both the XP and 98 PCs
    and see if that helps - tho sound like you mightn't be getting to that
    point.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Nov 10, 2003