    The computer has more than one user and suffers from the "it wasn't me
    I never touched it etc. syndrome"

    Ron

    Ronald, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Ronald

    PC Guest

    > NIC is built in to the motherboard so I cannot physically remove it. All

    the
    > settings seem to be as before but it just does not see any other computer.

    Have had similar problems with Asus A7N266 with ob NIC. They work just great
    in XP and Mandrake 9.1but Win 98 nope!
    Usually put a NIC in a PCI slot and forget the OB one. Not the right answer
    but a pracitcal one.

    Cheers
    Pau

    PC, Sep 18, 2003

  3. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    Hi I know I could put in another NIC

    BUT it worked up until yesterday and it had been working for 6 months before
    that.

    The motherboard is an MSI 6738. New drivers were downloaded for Windows XP
    Pro as Live update was used by someone. Normally the computer is booted in
    Win 98 but it was in Win XP and then connected to the internet where it was
    suggested that it needed new drivers. I can only assume (I never did
    anything syndrome) that the Win XP Pro drivers were run in Win 98. However
    as I said all the drivers were un-installed in Win 98 along with the card
    then re installed. One thing I did notice is that now when the computer is
    switched off that the light in the Netgear hub is still showing. Usually
    when the computer is off so is the light. And that does not explain why it
    still works in Windows XP Pro

    Ron

    Ronald, Sep 18, 2003