    both PCs. Main PC using Norton firewall & 2nd PC using McAfee firewall
    (trial).

    Please help!
    AP, Oct 30, 2005

  2. AP

    AP Guest

    I went to this web site:-
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/windowsconnectnow.mspx
    on using Connect Now technology. It shows how to create a wireless network
    using the USB drive. My USB printer doesn't seem to be on the list of
    Connect Now supported devices. Also, these instructions are for setting up
    a new network, whilst my wi-fi is already set up & working fine.

    Should I delete the existing wi-fi connections & try the Connect Now?

    AP, Oct 30, 2005

  3. Most likely Norton and McAfee are blocking file and printer sharing. Try
    uninstalling these products before troubleshooting your network.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Oct 30, 2005
  4. AP

    GTS Guest

    Have you configured the firewalls to permit access on the local network?
    Have you tried temporarily disabling them? It's true that a damaged
    firewall or problems temporarily disabling may sometimes suggest
    uninstallation, but that should certainly not be the first step in
    troubleshooting.

    If you do this an still have a problem, can you ping between the machines?
    If you open a command prompt and type
    Start \\netname, what error code (if any) is shown?

    GTS, Oct 31, 2005
  5. AP

    AP Guest

    I went to Command Prompt on both PCs. When I type "ipconfig", details are:-

    At Main PC
    ========
    IP address : 192.168.0.100
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway : 192.168.0.1 (my wireless router)

    At 2nd PC
    ========
    IP Address : 192.168.0.101
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0

    There is no problem pinging the router from either PC. The main PC can ping
    the 2nd PC, but when the 2nd PC tries to ping the main PC, I get "Request
    timed out", and all 4 packets are lost. All firewalls are disabled.

    AP, Nov 1, 2005