    GMT
    --
    GMT

    =?Utf-8?B?R01U?=, Aug 9, 2005

  2. If the printer is connected directly (USB or parallel cable) to Dell, then
    you configure a local printer on Dell; share it; and on Jonathan configure a
    network printer called: \\DELL\PrinterShareName

    If this is a printer with a builtin ethernet connection, you configure both
    computers with a local printer using a TCP/IP port with the IP address of
    the printer.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Aug 9, 2005

  3. Doug,
    Thanks for the info - but I'm not quite there yet...

    The local printer on DELL shows port = USB001

    When I add a printer on JONATHAN, it says if this is a newtwork printer
    without a print server, select local during the add. When I do this, the only
    ports that are availble on the following display are LPT1 and COM1, etc. How
    do I synch the ports?
    --
    GMT

    =?Utf-8?B?R01U?=, Aug 9, 2005
  4. USB001 is the typical port for a local USB printer.

    1. On Dell click Start/Printers and Faxes. Right click on the printer icon
    and select Properties. Click the Sharing tab. Make sure the Share this
    printer box is checked and write down the share name. Once the printer is
    shared, Dell is a print server.

    2. On Jonathan click Start/Run Printers and Faxes. Click Add a printer,
    and the wizard will start. Select Network printer, NEXT. Select Connect to
    this printer, and type: \\dell\ShareNameYouWroteDownIn#1.

    3. If #2 does not work, determine the IP address of Dell; and try:
    \\IPofDell\ShareNameYouWroteDownIn#1.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Aug 10, 2005
  5. Thanks Doug - I had to use the IP address, but it now works...
    --
    GMT

    =?Utf-8?B?R01U?=, Aug 10, 2005