Network printing (Wireless)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Shane Nation, Aug 26, 2006.

  1. Shane Nation

    Shane Nation Guest

    Please can any one tell me how to print to a Kyocera FS-1900 printer
    attached to a Netgear DG834V2 wirless router.

    I have a PC attached to the router via a cable and have two other laptops
    attached via wireless.
    I have attached the FS-1900 via a cable to the router and given the printer
    a static IP address. I can ping the printers IP, the router shows it a an
    attached device with the correct IP.
    I have set up an IP printer port (Kyocrea told me to do this) with the same
    IP as the printer.
    When I print to it the print appears in the print queue, and after about 1
    min it fails!
    I wanted to be able to use it as a network printer for all the PC's
    attached?

    Please can anyone help in simple terms?

    Thanks

    Shane

    Shane Nation, Aug 26, 2006

  2. Shane Nation

    Shane Nation Guest

    Sorry should have said using Windows Home P SP2 on all PC's, confirgured the
    NIS 2006 to allow my home network thorugh the firewall, however tried
    turning the firewall off, still didn't print. Have tried adding a printer -
    network printer, but it doesn't see it?
    If I plug the printer into my Desktop vis a USB cable all the other PC's can
    print to it, but I have to have the Desktop switch on all the time!

    Shane Nation, Aug 26, 2006

  3. Shane Nation

    Lem Guest

    Shane Nation wrote:
    > Sorry should have said using Windows Home P SP2 on all PC's, confirgured the
    > NIS 2006 to allow my home network thorugh the firewall, however tried
    > turning the firewall off, still didn't print. Have tried adding a printer -
    > network printer, but it doesn't see it?
    > If I plug the printer into my Desktop vis a USB cable all the other PC's can
    > print to it, but I have to have the Desktop switch on all the time!
    >
    > "Shane Nation" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Please can any one tell me how to print to a Kyocera FS-1900 printer
    >>attached to a Netgear DG834V2 wirless router.
    >>
    >>I have a PC attached to the router via a cable and have two other laptops
    >>attached via wireless.
    >>I have attached the FS-1900 via a cable to the router and given the
    >>printer a static IP address. I can ping the printers IP, the router shows
    >>it a an attached device with the correct IP.
    >>I have set up an IP printer port (Kyocrea told me to do this) with the
    >>same IP as the printer.
    >>When I print to it the print appears in the print queue, and after about 1
    >>min it fails!
    >>I wanted to be able to use it as a network printer for all the PC's
    >>attached?
    >>
    >>Please can anyone help in simple terms?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Shane

    Is the static IP address you set for the printer in the same subnet as
    those assigned by the router? And did you set the subnet mask correctly?

    If you don't know what those questions mean, then:
    Open a command prompt window on one of your computers: Start > run >
    type "cmd" (without quotes) and press Enter

    In the commmand prompt window, type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and
    press Enter.

    Among the other info displayed, you should see something like:

    The IP address you set for the printer should have the first three
    numbers the same as your computer's IP address, and the fourth number
    should be far enough away so as to not conflict with the IP addresses
    automatically assigned by by your router. The subnet mask for the
    printer must be the same as the subnet mask for the other computers on
    the network.

    If your ipconfig output was the same as the example above, you should
    set the printer IP address to 192.168.1.50 (or 192.168.1.150) and set
    the subnet mask for the printer to 255.255.255.0

    Lem, Aug 26, 2006
  4. Shane Nation

    Shane Nation Guest

    Thank you for your hlep.

    The router gives out IPs in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.5, depending
    on how many PC's are attached at the time, So I have given the printer a
    static IP of 192.168.0.6
    The firewall is set to allow my home network of 192.168.0.0 to
    192.168.0.255.

    I hope this helps.

    Shane

    Shane Nation, Aug 26, 2006
  5. Shane Nation

    Lem Guest

    Shane Nation wrote:
    > Thank you for your hlep.
    >
    > The router gives out IPs in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.5, depending
    > on how many PC's are attached at the time, So I have given the printer a
    > static IP of 192.168.0.6
    > The firewall is set to allow my home network of 192.168.0.0 to
    > 192.168.0.255.
    >
    > I hope this helps.
    >
    > Shane
    >
    > "Lem" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Shane Nation wrote:
    >>
    >>>Sorry should have said using Windows Home P SP2 on all PC's, confirgured
    >>>the NIS 2006 to allow my home network thorugh the firewall, however tried
    >>>turning the firewall off, still didn't print. Have tried adding a
    >>>printer - network printer, but it doesn't see it?
    >>>If I plug the printer into my Desktop vis a USB cable all the other PC's
    >>>can print to it, but I have to have the Desktop switch on all the time!
    >>>
    >>>"Shane Nation" <> wrote in message

    >>Is the static IP address you set for the printer in the same subnet as
    >>those assigned by the router? And did you set the subnet mask correctly?
    >>
    >>If you don't know what those questions mean, then:
    >>Open a command prompt window on one of your computers: Start > run > type
    >>"cmd" (without quotes) and press Enter
    >>
    >>In the commmand prompt window, type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and
    >>press Enter.
    >>
    >>Among the other info displayed, you should see something like:
    >>
    >> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
    >> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    >> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    >> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    >>
    >>The IP address you set for the printer should have the first three numbers
    >>the same as your computer's IP address, and the fourth number should be
    >>far enough away so as to not conflict with the IP addresses automatically
    >>assigned by by your router. The subnet mask for the printer must be the
    >>same as the subnet mask for the other computers on the network.
    >>
    >>If your ipconfig output was the same as the example above, you should set
    >>the printer IP address to 192.168.1.50 (or 192.168.1.150) and set the
    >>subnet mask for the printer to 255.255.255.0

    Just to double check, have you printed a printer status page (by using
    the front panel controls) and confirmed that the printer's IP address
    is, in fact, 192.168.0.6, that the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, and
    that the default gateway is 192.168.0.1?

    See if this helps:
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing to Print Server device.htm

    Lem, Aug 27, 2006
  6. Shane Nation

    Shane Nation Guest

    Have printed a status page and yesy printer's ip is 192.168.0.6, subnet mask
    is 255.255.255.0, and
    default gateway is 192.168.0.1. Also get a network interface page for the
    SB110 netwaork card and the settings are the same IPs etc, along with some
    other settings such as Hardware address, novell name.

    Shane

    Shane Nation, Aug 27, 2006
  7. Shane Nation

    Lem Guest

    Shane Nation wrote:
    > Have printed a status page and yesy printer's ip is 192.168.0.6, subnet mask
    > is 255.255.255.0, and
    > default gateway is 192.168.0.1. Also get a network interface page for the
    > SB110 netwaork card and the settings are the same IPs etc, along with some
    > other settings such as Hardware address, novell name.
    >
    > Shane
    >
    > "Lem" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Shane Nation wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thank you for your hlep.
    >>>
    >>>The router gives out IPs in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.5,
    >>>depending on how many PC's are attached at the time, So I have given the
    >>>printer a static IP of 192.168.0.6
    >>>The firewall is set to allow my home network of 192.168.0.0 to
    >>>192.168.0.255.
    >>>
    >>>I hope this helps.
    >>>
    >>>Shane
    >>>
    >>>"Lem" <> wrote in message

    >>Just to double check, have you printed a printer status page (by using the
    >>front panel controls) and confirmed that the printer's IP address is, in
    >>fact, 192.168.0.6, that the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, and that the
    >>default gateway is 192.168.0.1?
    >>
    >>See if this helps:
    >>http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing to Print Server device.htm

    If the directions at Bruce Sanderson's site for "Printing to a Print
    Server Device" didn't help, I'm out of ideas. Sorry -- these things
    shouldn't be so difficult. If this is a recently-purchased item, you
    should be able to get tech support from Kyocera.

    Some observations, but not real help:

    I don't know why a "novell name" should be listed in your network status
    page. Double check and make sure that the only network protocol that is
    active on your printer server is TCP/IP.

    I assume that you received an installation manual, user guide, and a CD
    with the network adapter. I couldn't find much documentation at the
    Kyocera UK site, but there are manuals for a SB110 print server on the
    Kyocera Australia site (http://www.kyocera.com.au/usermanual.asp).

    I don't know if this is your device, but if it is, installation
    requires, among other things, the installation of a "print monitor" on
    each computer. Did you install using the "printer wizard" (and note
    that there are two -- one for XP, Win2k, and NT, and the other for
    Win9x). The "print monitor" appears to correspond in function to the
    "standard tcp/ip port monitor" Bruce describes, but perhaps this device
    needs a proprietary version.

    I didn't study the manuals, but I did notice that, like some other
    network printers, the SB110 appears to have an embedded web server.
    What happens if you open a browser and type 192.168.0.6 into the address?

    Best of luck.

    Lem, Aug 27, 2006
  8. Shane Nation

    Shane Nation Guest

    Thanks for your help, I will plod on with it and see what I can do. You are
    right it does contain an enbedded print server, if I enter it's IP into a
    web broswer it opens up a huge range of pages and settings, which I have
    been playing with for hours.
    Cheers

    Shane

    Shane Nation, Aug 27, 2006
  9. Shane Nation

    Shane Nation Guest

    Just to let you know that I have managed to get the printer working on the
    PC connected to the router by cable, by adding a local ip port, thank you.

    Can I ask two more questions please?
    If I want to add the printer to a PC using wireless to connected to the
    router, and I want to use the printer when the PC connected to the router by
    cable is not switched on, do I set the printer up on the Wireless PC as a
    Local IP port or a network printer?

    Also when I go to add a printer, local, add a port and select a IP port I
    get the error message "Error loading the Tcp mib library" on the laptop, any
    ideas?

    Thanks again

    Shane

    Shane Nation, Aug 28, 2006
  10. Shane Nation

    Lem Guest

    Shane Nation wrote:
    > Just to let you know that I have managed to get the printer working on the
    > PC connected to the router by cable, by adding a local ip port, thank you.
    >
    > Can I ask two more questions please?
    > If I want to add the printer to a PC using wireless to connected to the
    > router, and I want to use the printer when the PC connected to the router by
    > cable is not switched on, do I set the printer up on the Wireless PC as a
    > Local IP port or a network printer?
    >
    > Also when I go to add a printer, local, add a port and select a IP port I
    > get the error message "Error loading the Tcp mib library" on the laptop, any
    > ideas?
    >
    > Thanks again
    >
    > Shane
    >
    > "Shane Nation" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for your help, I will plod on with it and see what I can do. You
    >> are right it does contain an enbedded print server, if I enter it's IP
    >> into a web broswer it opens up a huge range of pages and settings, which I
    >> have been playing with for hours.
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Shane
    >> "Lem" <> wrote in message

    >>> If the directions at Bruce Sanderson's site for "Printing to a Print
    >>> Server Device" didn't help, I'm out of ideas. Sorry -- these things
    >>> shouldn't be so difficult. If this is a recently-purchased item, you
    >>> should be able to get tech support from Kyocera.
    >>>
    >>> Some observations, but not real help:
    >>>
    >>> I don't know why a "novell name" should be listed in your network status
    >>> page. Double check and make sure that the only network protocol that is
    >>> active on your printer server is TCP/IP.
    >>>
    >>> I assume that you received an installation manual, user guide, and a CD
    >>> with the network adapter. I couldn't find much documentation at the
    >>> Kyocera UK site, but there are manuals for a SB110 print server on the
    >>> Kyocera Australia site (http://www.kyocera.com.au/usermanual.asp).
    >>>
    >>> I don't know if this is your device, but if it is, installation requires,
    >>> among other things, the installation of a "print monitor" on each
    >>> computer. Did you install using the "printer wizard" (and note that
    >>> there are two -- one for XP, Win2k, and NT, and the other for Win9x). The
    >>> "print monitor" appears to correspond in function to the "standard tcp/ip
    >>> port monitor" Bruce describes, but perhaps this device needs a
    >>> proprietary version.
    >>>
    >>> I didn't study the manuals, but I did notice that, like some other
    >>> network printers, the SB110 appears to have an embedded web server. What
    >>> happens if you open a browser and type 192.168.0.6 into the address?
    >>>
    >>> Best of luck.

    Set up the printer on each wirelessly-networked PC just the same as you
    did on the PC that's wired to the router. Once you get past the
    mechanics of making the connection via radio (i.e., wireless) all of the
    PCs on the network work the same way. To confirm that you can
    communicate with the printer, try accessing the printer's web pages from
    a wireless PC. It should be the same as from the wired PC.

    And because your printer is connected directly to the router, whether
    the PC that is cabled to the router is on or off is irrelevant.

    As for your error message, see: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=261302
    I suspect that what's going on here is that you first attempted to
    install the proprietary print monitor, but for some reason that
    installation failed. The error message you're seeing results from the
    presence of those files.

    By using the MS files, you may be losing some additonal functionality,
    but if things are working to your satisfaction, I'd be careful about
    deleting files.

    Lem, Aug 28, 2006