    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz
    3.50 GB of RAM

    whitzombi, Jun 10, 2006

  2. whitzombi wrote:

    > My network consists of a laptop running win98 second edition and a
    > desktop running XP. Its a wireless network sharing a printer. The
    > network connection is active for a few minutes and the printer works
    > fine and then the laptop dissappears from My Network Places and I cant
    > use the printer. The connection comes and goes, but the router shows
    > that the wireless connection is still active. Any ideas what could be
    > causing this problem?

    Try a continuous ping from a commandline, to the laptop.
    It is "ping -n 10000" or maybe "-c" in windows, plus the target ip address.
    Try to tinker with energy settings of your NIC driver in win98, maybe you
    checked some option (or it even is default) to turn off nic when idle.
    > --
    > Who needs a signature!!

    Only one who doesn't have a "newsreader" which cuts off the space at the end
    of the sig delimiter. And whose sig is not longer than 4 lines.

    Walter Mautner, Jun 10, 2006

  3. whitzombi

    whitzombi Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:18:03 +0200, Walter Mautner
    <> wrote:

    >whitzombi wrote:
    >
    >> My network consists of a laptop running win98 second edition and a
    >> desktop running XP. Its a wireless network sharing a printer. The
    >> network connection is active for a few minutes and the printer works
    >> fine and then the laptop dissappears from My Network Places and I cant
    >> use the printer. The connection comes and goes, but the router shows
    >> that the wireless connection is still active. Any ideas what could be
    >> causing this problem?

    >Try a continuous ping from a commandline, to the laptop.
    >It is "ping -n 10000" or maybe "-c" in windows, plus the target ip address.
    >Try to tinker with energy settings of your NIC driver in win98, maybe you
    >checked some option (or it even is default) to turn off nic when idle.
    >> --
    >> Who needs a signature!!

    >Only one who doesn't have a "newsreader" which cuts off the space at the end
    >of the sig delimiter. And whose sig is not longer than 4 lines.

    I really dont understand what you mean. Can you maybe explain it in a
    different way. You are saying something is wrong with my signature,
    but i really dont see a difference between yours and mine. Thanks for
    pointing it out though.
    --
    Who needs a signature!!
    Windows XP Professional

    whitzombi, Jun 10, 2006
  4. whitzombi wrote:
    >>> --
    >>> Who needs a signature!!

    >>Only one who doesn't have a "newsreader" which cuts off the space at the
    >>end of the sig delimiter. And whose sig is not longer than 4 lines.

    > I really dont understand what you mean. Can you maybe explain it in a
    > different way. You are saying something is wrong with my signature,
    > but i really dont see a difference between yours and mine. Thanks for
    > pointing it out though.

    Well, you are using Outlook Express (AKA "Outbug Excuse") which does not
    use a standard signature delimiter ("-- ", two dashes and a whitespace) as
    defined by default. Instead, the program clipps off whitespaces at the end
    of a line, even there. That's why another newsreader cannot separate that
    signature upon next reply, and your signature is going to be quoted over
    and over.
    There is a program "quotefix" available to work around that and other bugs,
    you may want to google for that.
    Another thing, a standard signature should be no longer then 4 lines of
    text. You can safely join two lines in your signature - but that complaint
    was just "because I already was ranting".
    More honestly, the "who needs a signature" triggered my ranting :)
    Now, did you find some hint for your network interruption problem?

    Walter Mautner, Jun 10, 2006
  5. whitzombi

    Dan Evans Guest

    "whitzombi" <> wrote in message

    > I really dont understand what you mean. Can you maybe explain it in a
    > different way. You are saying something is wrong with my signature,

    It has a line too many - I'll not say anything about the content though (or
    my sig, which isn't added by me)

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 11, 2006
  6. whitzombi

    Plato Guest

  7. whitzombi

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "whitzombi" <> wrote in message
    > My network consists of a laptop running win98 second edition and a
    > desktop running XP. Its a wireless network sharing a printer. The
    > network connection is active for a few minutes and the printer works
    > fine and then the laptop dissappears from My Network Places and I cant
    > use the printer. The connection comes and goes, but the router shows
    > that the wireless connection is still active. Any ideas what could be
    > causing this problem?

    You can buy a wire print server and plug it into a LAN port on the router.
    You then plug the printer into the print server both the wire and wireless
    machines can use the print server and the desktop doesn't have to be on for
    the laptop to print.

    Print servers are cheap now of days.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 11, 2006