    computer?

    What significance does the acronym LPD have for networking a printer?

    Thanks, Richard

    Richard O'Keefe, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Richard O'Keefe

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Richard O'Keefe <> wrote in
    news::

    > Currently I have a cable modem hooked to a linksys router with 3 good
    > ports. Two of the ports are connected to computers. Both computers
    > are using win 98 2nd edition. An HP 840C printer is connected locally
    > to one computer and remotely, via networking, to the other computer.
    >
    > To print from the remote computer I have to have both computers up and
    > running.
    >
    > Is there a way to connect the printer to the Linksys router so that I
    > don't have to turn on both computers to print from the remote
    > computer?

    No, either the printer comes with a print server incorporated in it that
    allows the printer to be connected to the router so that all computers
    can print to the printer without the need of a host computer. Or you have
    a router that has a print server that allows the printer to be connected
    to it and computers can print without the need of a host computer.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Richard O'Keefe

    Thor Guest

    "Richard O'Keefe" <> wrote in message
    > Currently I have a cable modem hooked to a linksys router with 3 good
    > ports. Two of the ports are connected to computers. Both computers
    > are using win 98 2nd edition. An HP 840C printer is connected locally
    > to one computer and remotely, via networking, to the other computer.
    >
    > To print from the remote computer I have to have both computers up and
    > running.
    >
    > Is there a way to connect the printer to the Linksys router so that I
    > don't have to turn on both computers to print from the remote
    > computer?
    >
    > What significance does the acronym LPD have for networking a printer?
    >
    > Thanks, Richard

    Take your pick

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=206

    They have both USB and Parallel interface print server modules that will
    allow you to connect your printer directly to the network.

    Thor, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Thank you, I have visited the TigerDirect web site and reveiwed the
    options that I have.

    Richard

    Richard O'Keefe, Aug 7, 2004
  5. Richard O'Keefe

    Wizard Guest

    Only if there is a built in Ethernet card in the printer (called "jet
    direct")

    Wizard, Aug 9, 2004
  6. Richard O'Keefe

    Thor Guest

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > Only if there is a built in Ethernet card in the printer (called "jet
    > direct")

    Check out the links I gave him in my post. With those print server modules,
    you can turn most any printer into a standalone network printer. Very handy.

    Thor, Aug 9, 2004
  7. Richard O'Keefe

    Michael-NC Guest

    I have a Netgear print server attached to a Lexmark Z23 and it serves my
    entire 6 machine home network well.

    Michael-NC, Aug 10, 2004