Network printer....seems to time-out ??

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bDI3?=, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    First a few details of the network setup:
    - 16 PCs (Windows XP Pro)
    - 1 Server (Windows Server 2003)
    - Wireless Network

    Other details:
    - Printer is NOT connected to the server because it doesn't support my
    printer model (HP Laserjet 3380).
    - Printer IS connected to a PC running Windows XP. I have it as a shared
    printer.
    - I'm not using a print server (and I don't intend to, if possible).

    Problem:
    I can get the printer working on all the PCs, but after a few hours I
    sometimes have to re-establish the connection by doing Start > Run... >
    \\computer0\hp (ie. printer location).
    Once I do this one of two things happen:
    (1) The print queue window opens and the PC is once again connected to the
    printer.
    (2) After 1 or 2 minutes a windows opens looking for my administrator
    password. Once I enter that, the print queue window opens and the PC is once
    again connected to the printer.

    It's really annoying having to do this to each computer every day. I'm
    guessing that the network is somehow timing me out??? However, it's only a
    guess .

    My level of computer expertise isn't too high, so please don't use any
    complicated words :)

    Any ideas? Have any of you experienced this kind of problem?

    Thanks in advance!

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bDI3?=, Jan 11, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bDI3?=

    Admiral Q Guest

    WinXP Pro has a maximum of 10 simultaneous inbound connections - since you
    have 15 PC's via'ing for 10 slots, they will be fighting over it.
    So, you can either live with it (as you can't increase the number of
    connections on XP Pro), or move it to the 2k3 Server (just because there are
    no server drivers for it, doesn't mean the XP systems can't see and use it
    properly).

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

    Admiral Q, Jan 14, 2005

  3. Thanks for your reply Admiral Q :)

    It looks like I might have to live with the problem, unless someone else can
    come up with a different solution.

    "just because there are no server drivers for it, doesn't mean the XP
    systems can't see and use it properly"
    When I had my old Minolta laser printer connected to the server, I had the
    exact same problem.

    Theoretically, if a maximum of 1 or 2 people are trying to print at the same
    time, will they be able to?
    Will a problem only occur if more than 10 PCs are trying to print at the
    same time.
    I'm trying to understand how the computers fight over those 10 free slots.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bDI3?=, Jan 14, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bDI3?=

    Aled

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Cardiff
    Possible soloution

    Hi Paul

    I am experiencing a very similar problem to yourself at the school, where I work. We have a Konica Minolta Magicolor 2300W printer that refuses to work with a digibox/print server and has been shared out from an XP workstation. The difference is that there are 40 clients connecting to it. The weird thing is that it has worked perfectly for quite some time and it has recently started giving issues.

    I researched the problem and discovered the fact that XP supports 10 inbound connections by default.

    However I have read many articles that say that this can be increased to 40 but unfortunately, I haven't found out how to do it yet, so there's still hope on that front.

    This doesn't solve your problem but something that you should bear in mind is that the connections have a 15 minute timeout period which can be lowered with a simple command. This means (I think) that, once the print job has been passed to the printer's processor the connection waits 15 minutes then closes the inbound connection.

    To reconfigure your timeout period to, lets say 3 minutes for example, open the command prompt:

    >Start
    >Run
    >CMD

    Then type the following:

    net config server /autodisconnect:3

    This may solve your problem as you only have 15 workstation attempting to print.

    In the meantime I will try to find a way to increase the maximum inbound connections in XP.

    Hope this helps.

    Let me know how you got on

    Regards

    Aled