    network printer on each client.

    Thanks in advance for any help
    , Sep 18, 2005

  2. Peptide One Guest

    wrote the following on 9/18/2005 2:04 PM:
    > Hi, hope you can help me, i need to install a network printer (Dell
    > m5200) in a mixed XP/98 environment (about 10-12 workstations). Another
    > older printer is already shared in the network through an external
    > print server Dlink dp-300U, connected at its parallel port. I'm
    > confused whether i should connect the new printer with usb to the Dlink
    > and then install the printer on each PC as a local printer (with TCP
    > port) or just directly connecting it to the network and installing as a
    > network printer on each client.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help

    If the printer has a NIC built in, I would recommend using that over
    using the D-Link USB print server.

    --
    Beauty is only epithelial cells deep.
    Peptide One, Sep 19, 2005

  3. Keme Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi, hope you can help me, i need to install a network printer (Dell
    > m5200) in a mixed XP/98 environment (about 10-12 workstations). Another
    > older printer is already shared in the network through an external
    > print server Dlink dp-300U, connected at its parallel port. I'm
    > confused whether i should connect the new printer with usb to the Dlink
    > and then install the printer on each PC as a local printer (with TCP
    > port) or just directly connecting it to the network and installing as a
    > network printer on each client.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help

    Connecting to the network using the builtin NIC is far better (the Dlink
    box has USB1.1, with a max throughput of 12 Mb, while the NIC is up to
    network speed with 100 Mb).

    As far as I can see, the D-link print "server" is not much more than a
    network adapter to you. If you have high print volume or your site
    grows, I'd recommend installing a dedicated server, though. A bit more
    administration, but you'll probably benefit from it in the long run.
    Some benefits:
    - You install drivers at the server, and then installing the printer on
    workstations is a few clicks.
    - Queues are spooled (cached) on the server, so your worstation is
    quickly freed from the print job.
    - Jobs get served in the sequence they're ordered (unless you have
    priority queues, another benefit of having a proper server).
    Keme, Sep 19, 2005
  4. orlynrules Guest

    Thanks guys for your help, I installed the printer today using the
    builtin NIC, and seems to work fine on both XP and 98 machines. The
    driver had the possibility to automatically deploy drivers on all
    clients, but to do this it asked for network administrator's login and
    password. Since nobody working there had passwords to login to their
    workstations or had ever heard of administrator accounts I had to
    manually install on every client.
    This net was just a workgroup, without a central server.. so i had no
    idea how to get that password.
    Any idea?
    orlynrules, Sep 20, 2005