Network printer not responding to spool on powerup.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by BudV, Apr 28, 2006.

  1. BudV

    BudV Guest

    I have a WinXP Home SP2 (wireless) and a Win98 (ethernet) sharing a DSL
    connection that works fine.

    I recently added a printer (ethernet) to the router and it works fine.

    The occasional activity for the printer (upstairs) is by the XP
    (downstairs). There would be no problem if the printer were left powered up
    at all times, but that bothers me. (There's the rub. Tell me it's okay to
    leave it on all the time and I'll go away.) If I know ahead of time that
    I'm going to produce a report, I'll turn the printer on first. Sometimes
    the necessity to print occurs when the printer is powered off, and the
    report files get spooled.

    I tested this -- generating a few test pages with the printer off. Then I
    powered on the printer, expecting it to recognize the waiting spool files
    and start printing them. It did not.

    Comments?

    BudV, Apr 28, 2006

  2. BudV

    BudV Guest

    I know the printer can't "recognize" the spool files. I should have said,
    "... expecting the XP to know that the printer has come back on line and
    start sending the spooled files to it."

    BudV, Apr 28, 2006

  3. BudV

    Lem Guest

    BudV wrote:

    > I have a WinXP Home SP2 (wireless) and a Win98 (ethernet) sharing a DSL
    > connection that works fine.
    >
    > I recently added a printer (ethernet) to the router and it works fine.
    >
    > The occasional activity for the printer (upstairs) is by the XP
    > (downstairs). There would be no problem if the printer were left powered up
    > at all times, but that bothers me. (There's the rub. Tell me it's okay to
    > leave it on all the time and I'll go away.) If I know ahead of time that
    > I'm going to produce a report, I'll turn the printer on first. Sometimes
    > the necessity to print occurs when the printer is powered off, and the
    > report files get spooled.
    >
    > I tested this -- generating a few test pages with the printer off. Then I
    > powered on the printer, expecting it to recognize the waiting spool files
    > and start printing them. It did not.
    >
    > Comments?

    I just (5 minutes ago) went through helping someone in a very similar
    situation. I know that if you re-boot the computer with un-printed jobs in the
    queue, XP will try to print them, and if the printer is unavailable, will give
    you an error box. Clicking OK makes the error message go away, and the jobs
    print as soon as the printer becomes available.

    On the other hand, if you try to print with the printer is unavailable but you
    DON'T re-boot, the print spooler may put the jobs in a pause status. Then in
    order to print after you make the printer available, you have to open the print
    queue, click on Document and then on "Resume" (or maybe "restart").

    At the very least, print the jobs with the printer off, click OK on whatever
    error message pops up, and then open the queue. What does it say for "Status"?

    After all of that, I'd just leave the printer on (unless it's a real power
    hog). That's what I do.

    Lem, Apr 28, 2006
  4. "BudV" <> wrote in message
    >I have a WinXP Home SP2 (wireless) and a Win98 (ethernet) sharing a DSL
    >connection that works fine.
    >
    > I recently added a printer (ethernet) to the router and it works fine.
    >
    > The occasional activity for the printer (upstairs) is by the XP
    > (downstairs). There would be no problem if the printer were left powered
    > up at all times, but that bothers me. (There's the rub. Tell me it's
    > okay to leave it on all the time and I'll go away.) If I know ahead of
    > time that I'm going to produce a report, I'll turn the printer on first.
    > Sometimes the necessity to print occurs when the printer is powered off,
    > and the report files get spooled.
    >
    > I tested this -- generating a few test pages with the printer off. Then I
    > powered on the printer, expecting it to recognize the waiting spool files
    > and start printing them. It did not.
    >
    > Comments?

    What printer? Most modern day printers since at least 2003 allow you to
    power up on demand (eg, send a print to it when it is off is "demand") and
    power down after a time limit set either internally or by you. To do this
    you have to go into the advanced settings for the printer.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Apr 28, 2006
  5. BudV

    BudV Guest

    BudV, Apr 29, 2006
  6. BudV

    BudV Guest

    Sorry, that last reply was caused by an accidental click.

    The printer is an HP Photosmart 3210 all-in-one.

    On a hunch today, I tried turning off the PC (It refused to hibernate
    because of the spooler activity), turning on the printer, then turning on
    the PC. After almost two minutes, printing of the spooled files started. I
    was happy to have a workable solution.

    LEM:
    His first method precludes the sequence of steps I followed, making it
    possible to work the PC, then go to the printer (upstairs) and turn it on
    and wait there for the printing. I'll try that.

    His second method precludes re-booting, which appeals to me. I'll try that,
    too.

    Re his third method: The only pop-up that appears is that it can't connect
    to the printer [for various reasons] and it will spool the reports. The
    queue says that it can't connect to the printer. This appears to be the same
    as his second method.

    LRB:
    Clearly, this is the best solution for me, if I can get it to work. I don't
    know whether the "advanced settings for the printer" are in the printer or
    in the PC, but I will search diligently for them.

    Thank you both for your help.

    Bud

    BudV, Apr 29, 2006
  7. "BudV" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry, that last reply was caused by an accidental click.
    >
    > The printer is an HP Photosmart 3210 all-in-one.
    >
    > On a hunch today, I tried turning off the PC (It refused to hibernate
    > because of the spooler activity), turning on the printer, then turning on
    > the PC. After almost two minutes, printing of the spooled files started.
    > I was happy to have a workable solution.

    Check your manual or if you don't have one, download one online. I have, for
    example, a HP Deskjet 5550 which I bought in Oct 2003. In order to auto turn
    off after a print, you have to go into the HP Printer assistant,
    Utilitities, Configure Printer and tick to auto turn off. You don't have to
    turn it on at all, unless you wish to change cartridges. Sending a print to
    it either over the network (it is USB attached to one printer and network
    shared) or direct from the computer to which it is attached, turns the
    printer on. About the only prob you may face with network printing, assuming
    you installed it AS a networked/shared printer is the firewall and if you
    allowed file/print sharing. I did and all goes well.

    Naturally, to print to it, the computer to which it is physically attached
    via USB cable has to be on or if you wish, alert to "boot on lan" in bios.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Apr 29, 2006
  8. BudV

    BudV Guest

    This post is just to wrap up the conclusions I came to about my little
    network.

    No matter how much I hoped for it, the powerup on demand is not available
    for any HP all-in-one. They said it's because of the scanner, and let it go
    at that.

    When the print files first got spooled because the printer was off, the
    spooler gave me a popup explaining that it could not connect to the printer,
    the print jobs would be spooled, and "printing would start [automatically]
    when the printer was turned on", which appears to be a blatant lie. No
    matter what I did, whether it was issuing a restart in the printer queue or
    re-booting the PC, if the printer was still off I got the same popup.
    Nothing offered the convenience of having printing start as soon as the
    printer was turned on. The only solution available was to issue a restart
    in the printer queue AFTER the printer was turned on. This is not a
    terrible inconvenience, because spooled files cause a printer icon to appear
    in the system tray, and opening that takes you directly to the printer
    queue.

    As a final insult, when the stalled job is restarted, a yellow popup warns
    that the file failed to print. This is a false alarm, because the stalled
    job and the others in the queue print just fine.

    My thanks to both of you for your suppport and information.

    BudV, Apr 30, 2006
  9. BudV

    BudV Guest

    Well, I thought I wrapped this thread up, but something else came up.

    This thread was regarding my daughter's system. I also have WinXP Home SP2,
    but it's connected directly to an HP 2610 all-in-one with a USB cable.

    I tried the same experiment, and the PC didn't say anything about spooling.
    It just quietly put the print file into the print queue without comment.
    When the printer was turned on, it immediately started printing the files in
    the print queue. It didn't make any difference if I restarted the PC in the
    meantime -- hibernate or power off. Just the way I like it.

    Any ideas as to what's happening? Is there anything inherent in the nature
    of networks that affects the feedback from the printer to the PC? The 2610
    and the 3210 do have slightly different software. Could it be that? Or do
    you suppose I've been inconsistent with the settings between the two
    systems? I used default settings throughout the installation of both
    systems. HP suggested that I re-install the software on her machine, but I
    don't know why it should install any different the second time.

    BudV, May 3, 2006
  10. "BudV" <> wrote in message
    > Well, I thought I wrapped this thread up, but something else came up.
    >
    > This thread was regarding my daughter's system. I also have WinXP Home
    > SP2, but it's connected directly to an HP 2610 all-in-one with a USB
    > cable.
    >
    > I tried the same experiment, and the PC didn't say anything about
    > spooling. It just quietly put the print file into the print queue without
    > comment. When the printer was turned on, it immediately started printing
    > the files in the print queue. It didn't make any difference if I
    > restarted the PC in the meantime -- hibernate or power off. Just the way
    > I like it.

    The machine it doesn't work on, try this in this order:

    1. Go to Start, Run and type services.msc and hit enter. Check the Print
    Spooler. Is it running? If not, start it then try all this again without
    proceeding to the rest. If it works, you probably have it set to manual.
    Double click on Print Spooler and change the start to Auto.

    2. If 1 didn't help, go to start, run and type sfc /scannow and hit enter.
    Put your XP disk in your CD drive and wait until it all finishes. Reboot the
    machine and try again. If no good, proceed to 3.

    3. Uninstall the printer entirely. Reboot the machine. Install the printer.
    Try now. Perhaps, for whatever reason, previous attempts to install stuffed
    up. Make sure to install from the latest drivers etc that you will have
    already downloaded from the printer manufacturer's web site.

    4. If 3 and 2 haven't worked and you don't have any firewalls on, it is
    likely that either something in your router and/or nic is blocking this and
    if you have checked that and it isn't the case, the next thing I would do
    would be a repair install of XP on the computer with the printer physically
    attached.

    Now, while saying all that, I am assuming you have the printer shared and
    know it and have installed it on the remote machine as a networked printer.
    If you aren't sure of those 2 points, it may be that you need to get your
    local industry worker to get in there and look at what is going on.

    Diamontina Cocktail, May 3, 2006
  11. BudV

    BudV Guest

    In your paragraph 4: "nic" = ???

    BudV, May 4, 2006
  12. BudV

    BudV Guest

    First of all, I want to thank you for sticking with me on this. You've gone
    above and beyond the call of duty.

    In my previous post. I'm simply asking what "nic" means. I don't know.

    We have a small communication problem that I'd like to fix. Both systems
    "work". They just work differently. Let's refer to them as the "network"
    system and the "direct" system. I'm not sure which you mean when you say
    "the machine it doesn't work on."

    I think you're talking about how spooling doesn't work on the direct system.
    Spooling does work on the direct system -- it just doesn't give me any
    spooling type messages. (Services.msc shows that it's started and
    automatic.) I LIKE the way it works: effectively, no popups, and when the
    printer is turned on, it immediately starts printing. I wish the network
    system worked that way. So until I hear otherwise from you, I'm going to
    hold up on the procedure you're suggesting.

    It's the network system that started this thread. Its spooler is obviously
    working, as evidenced by the popups. I don't know who's running the
    spooler -- XP or the printer driver. I suspect it's XP. It probably gets
    an interrupt when the printer is turned on. You would think that it would
    then invoke the spooler to do its thing.

    BudV, May 4, 2006
  13. Excuse the full quote which I believe is needed in this case but NIC is
    Network Identification Card. (Darn, I just forgot if "I" equals
    Identification) but nevertheless it is your ethernet connection port/card
    and also your wireless card.

    Diamontina Cocktail, May 4, 2006
  14. "BudV" <> wrote in message
    > First of all, I want to thank you for sticking with me on this. You've
    > gone above and beyond the call of duty.
    >
    > In my previous post. I'm simply asking what "nic" means. I don't know.
    >
    > We have a small communication problem that I'd like to fix. Both systems
    > "work". They just work differently. Let's refer to them as the "network"
    > system and the "direct" system. I'm not sure which you mean when you
    > say "the machine it doesn't work on."
    >
    > I think you're talking about how spooling doesn't work on the direct
    > system. Spooling does work on the direct system -- it just doesn't give me
    > any spooling type messages. (Services.msc shows that it's started and
    > automatic.) I LIKE the way it works: effectively, no popups, and when
    > the printer is turned on, it immediately starts printing. I wish the
    > network system worked that way. So until I hear otherwise from you, I'm
    > going to hold up on the procedure you're suggesting.

    Now *I* am confused. :)

    A networked printer works like this when you send something to be printed
    from a remote printer to a printer that is physically attached to another
    printer and not itself working off a wireless print device:

    You send the thing to be printed to the printer. In normal circumstances, it
    compiles and sends very quickly and you basically see just about nothing
    (depends on printer, BTW). When it goes to that printer, it obviously goes
    through the machine to which that printer is attached but in doing so should
    NOT invoke a pop up unless your specific printer has an option/setting to
    make that happen. In normal USB printers, even if that printer is off and so
    long as the settings are correct, the printer should wake up, print and then
    turn off eventually but of course that means that the computer the printer
    is attached to is ON. You never send a print job to a printer connected that
    way. While it should work, sometimes it just doesn't and you can get a lot
    of wasted paper and ink as a result so it is much better to make sure the
    machine that has the printer attached is on and ready before you send the
    print job from the remote machine. When you send the print, if all is on,
    all you should see at the remote machine is that it went off and nothing on
    the machine attached to the printer but the printer work normally anyway.

    If your printer does NOT turn on when a print job is sent to it yet SHOULD
    do that, check the settings first and if they look right, uninstall the
    printer on all machines, reboot all computers and install printers first on
    the attached machine and then as a networked printer on the other machine.
    If it still doesn't work, honestly you may need your local industry person
    to check it out. Likely to be a firewall issue whether you know it or not.

    Diamontina Cocktail, May 4, 2006
  15. BudV

    Lem Guest

    Diamontina Cocktail wrote:

    > Excuse the full quote which I believe is needed in this case but NIC is
    > Network Identification Card. (Darn, I just forgot if "I" equals
    > Identification) but nevertheless it is your ethernet connection port/card
    > and also your wireless card.

    "interface" ;)

    <snip>

    Lem, May 4, 2006
  16. BudV

    BudV Guest

    Someone once said that if you ask Hugh Downs what time it is, he'll tell you
    how a watch works. I've got a lot of answers to questions here -- now I
    have to just pick and choose.

    I'm probably the cause of all the confusion here, by thinking that my
    concern is network-related. The network you're envisioning (and you're much
    better at doing that than I am) involves wa-a-ay too many printers and PCs
    for my comfort, and it makes me think that my little "network" doesn't even
    qualify for the title.

    What I have is a router. WinXP is a wireless connection. Win98, a DSL
    modem, and the 3210 printer are all Ethernet connections. That's it.

    In any event, you've given me plenty to think about, including the fact that
    this is more of a printer concern than a network concern, and if I pursue
    this further, I'll go to a more appropriate newsgroup.

    Many thanks for all your work.

    BudV, May 6, 2006