    network address (192.168.0.101)? There appears to be no sharing option now
    for the printer.

    Thanks for any help.
    Don, Feb 16, 2008

  2. Don

    smlunatick Guest

    On Feb 16, 3:14 pm, "Don" <D...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > This has probably been covered a million times before but....
    >
    > I am using XP and have a network printer which I use for printing from a dos
    > program by using:
    >
    >    net use lpt1: \\computername\printername /persistent:yes
    >
    > this worked fine but now I have removed the computer and connected the
    > printer directly
    > to my router.  The printer still works fine from windows programs.
    >
    > What command do I now use to print in DOS to lpt1?  Do I replace the
    > "computername" with the
    > network address (192.168.0.101)? There appears to be no sharing option now
    > for the printer.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    One quick way I know is to still set up a shared name off a Windows PC
    for this networked printer.
    smlunatick, Feb 19, 2008

  3. Don

    GTS Guest

    It might be possible to make that work by using printer pooling as follows:

    Assuming that you currently have the printer driver installed using an IP
    address (or net name) for LPR printing -

    1. Share the printer on your workstation. (This may seem counter
    intuitive - you are sharing the driver on the workstation for use on that
    machine, not for access by other workstations.)

    2. In the ports tab of the printer properties check Enable printer pooling.

    3. Run ipconfig in a command prompt and note your IP.

    4. Enter the following in a command prompt using the IP address of your
    workstation determined above and the printer sharename you just created.
    net use lpt1 \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename /persistent:yes

    If this works, note that your local IP address may change if using DHCP, so
    you may want to assign a static IP to your workstation and delete and
    recreate the mapping in step 4. Also, if you are not using a static ip
    address for the network printer you may wish to assign it one or use the net
    name instead (though I generally prefer setting a static IP for LPR
    printers).

    Would appreciate knowing how this works out.

    GTS, Feb 22, 2008