    can turn off that security feature, or find my username and password. i'm
    operating on windows xp service pack 2. i would apprieciate and help.
    thanks in advance.

    =?Utf-8?B?cmF5emVyc2xpbQ==?=, Oct 15, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cmF5emVyc2xpbQ==?=

    Ryan Younger Guest

    How are these machines configured? And what is it you are trying to
    achieve? If you are trying to access a shared resource on your desktop
    machine you will need to be connecting as a user which has the prerequisite
    permisssions. In your case, I think the best approach would be to run the
    XP Network Setup Wizard on each machine and then create a share on the
    desktop machine and allow the 'everyone' group access. Otherwise you willl
    need to authenticate as a user on the desktop machine which has permissions
    to access that share, for example, the local administrator.

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.

    Ryan Younger, Oct 28, 2005

  3. Windows xp has the nastyfeature to ask for network password... when it cannot
    find anything on the pc you want to look into. This is correct in the way
    that if you don't see anything from the network it is either because there is
    nothing to see or becuase it is protected by a pâssword. If you did not set
    any password yourself as you say, then the network cannot see anything simply
    becuase your pc does not share anything ! So the first action to take is to
    define one or more directorey on your pc whihc you want to share. For that
    right click on that directory, go to properties, click on the sharing tab and
    mark the two sharing squares to give full access from the network. Click OK
    and close everything. Now you will see this directory from any other station
    in the net work and without asking for any password.

    =?Utf-8?B?cGN3aXRjaA==?=, Jun 4, 2006