Network Monitoring Program more simple than "MS Network Monitor v3"?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com, Feb 18, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi, i have been appointed the "sysadmin" of my small organization's
    network (since i supposedly know more than anyone else here,
    debatable) and my first task is to find the bandwidth hogs and IM
    slackers.

    We have a linksys router and everyone insists on using windows so it
    is more or less a windows network. We do not have a server (yet, i am
    lobbying the director but its an uphill battle) so i don't have a
    computer where all the traffic goes through. I found MS Network
    Monitor v3.x (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933741) and it *seems*
    to do what i need like view network traffic w/o being installed on a
    server only problem is that it is waaaay over my head and i have
    little concept of how to filter/interpret the data.

    I am trying to find a free app (lobbying my boss for a server is hard
    enough as is w/o investing in even more software) that will simply
    allow me to identify the sites users are visiting, how much they are
    down/uploading, what they are down/uploading, and the services they
    are using and how often they are using them (mainly instant
    messaging), etc etc etc. And of course the information needs to be
    understandable by someone like me (ie "advanced user" but not hacker/
    sysadmin/guru).

    Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated!

    Cheers

    -Gaiko
    , Feb 18, 2008