Network monitor appliance

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob, Sep 27, 2006.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    So, I have heaps of old pcs lying around gathering dust or doing duty as
    web servers, developement etc.

    I want to turn one into a pure network monitor, sitting between my cable
    modem and my firewall/router.

    The box is a 433 celeron, 4.3gb hd, 128mb ram. (could go up to 256)

    Requirements -
    1 Log transactions by lan ip or mac address & port (for www, nntp, p2p,
    torrent etc.)
    2 Daily, weekly, monthly totals up & down separately
    3 Wan IP logging
    4 Bandwidth allocation
    4 No need for dhcp server
    5 No need for firewall

    Going the linux or bsd route, which distro and what monitoring/logging
    software would best suit the requirements?

    I'm looking at dsl (damnsmalllinux) and ethereal/wireshark & maybe
    iptables, but I don't want to take too much of a performance hit. I've
    had a good look around sourceforge and freshmeat, too many choices.

    So, what would you do?

    Rob
    Rob, Sep 27, 2006

  2. Rob

    Shane Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > So, I have heaps of old pcs lying around gathering dust or doing duty as
    > web servers, developement etc.
    >
    > I want to turn one into a pure network monitor, sitting between my cable
    > modem and my firewall/router.
    >
    > The box is a 433 celeron, 4.3gb hd, 128mb ram. (could go up to 256)
    >
    > Requirements -
    > 1 Log transactions by lan ip or mac address & port (for www, nntp, p2p,
    > torrent etc.)
    > 2 Daily, weekly, monthly totals up & down separately
    > 3 Wan IP logging
    > 4 Bandwidth allocation
    > 4 No need for dhcp server
    > 5 No need for firewall
    >
    > Going the linux or bsd route, which distro and what monitoring/logging
    > software would best suit the requirements?
    >
    > I'm looking at dsl (damnsmalllinux) and ethereal/wireshark & maybe
    > iptables, but I don't want to take too much of a performance hit. I've
    > had a good look around sourceforge and freshmeat, too many choices.
    >
    > So, what would you do?
    >
    > Rob

    Id be keen to hear your progress.
    This comes from a mail on the NANOG list
    "Hi, I have been scouring the net searching for a good bandwidth
    accounting solution that would be appropriate for a hosting
    provider/carrier. We are more interested in the total amount of
    bandwidth the user has utilized in a 7/30/90/365 (whatever) day period
    of time than a Mbps 'graph' which MRTG would give you. It would also be
    great if it could allow us to assign logins to our users so they can
    view their utilization.

    So far I've looked at MRTG, Cacti, and RTG. Cacti was pretty
    good execept it doesn't appear to notice changes in a switch, sometimes
    more than 30 ports on 5 different switches change a day and we'd like
    something that automatically starts/stops monitoring utilization when
    the port status changes. I havent found a Netflow tool yet that I really
    like."

    *Please* keep us updated :)

    --
    Leela: You go fight biggest brain of all.
    Fry: Even bigger than those? Holy nuts! Where is it?

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Sep 27, 2006

  3. Rob

    Justin Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > So, I have heaps of old pcs lying around gathering dust or doing duty as
    > web servers, developement etc.
    >
    > I want to turn one into a pure network monitor, sitting between my cable
    > modem and my firewall/router.
    >
    > The box is a 433 celeron, 4.3gb hd, 128mb ram. (could go up to 256)
    >
    > Requirements -
    > 1 Log transactions by lan ip or mac address & port (for www, nntp,
    > p2p, torrent etc.)
    > 2 Daily, weekly, monthly totals up & down separately
    > 3 Wan IP logging
    > 4 Bandwidth allocation
    > 4 No need for dhcp server
    > 5 No need for firewall
    >
    > Going the linux or bsd route, which distro and what monitoring/logging
    > software would best suit the requirements?
    >
    > I'm looking at dsl (damnsmalllinux) and ethereal/wireshark & maybe
    > iptables, but I don't want to take too much of a performance hit. I've
    > had a good look around sourceforge and freshmeat, too many choices.
    >
    > So, what would you do?
    >
    > Rob

    Try IPCop + WinSCP + Webalizer.

    Or ClarkConnect