    Is the following genuine or a virus please?

    From Network Mail Service
    to Internet mailservice receiver
    Subject Mail

    There is nothing in the message, but the following attachments are shown
    ATT00042.txt(432 bytes)
    ATT00045.txt (444 bytes)

    Is this safe to open please ?

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Sep 5, 2003

  2. geopelia

    Rifleman Guest

    geopelia wrote:
    > Is the following genuine or a virus please?
    >
    > From Network Mail Service
    > to Internet mailservice receiver
    > Subject Mail
    >
    > There is nothing in the message, but the following attachments are
    > shown ATT00042.txt(432 bytes)
    > ATT00045.txt (444 bytes)
    >
    > Is this safe to open please ?
    >
    > Geopelia

    There's usually no problems with opening a text file - but do a virus sweep
    of it first just to be on the safe side.
    Rifleman, Sep 5, 2003

  3. geopelia

    Micron Guest

    You usually get this as an email that is returned due to it not being
    delivered. the ATT00042.txt is just an attachment with your origional
    message. Its not a Virus, but could still contain one.

    Micron

    http://www.experiencewindows.com
    Professional Help & Support

    Micron, Sep 5, 2003
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Re: Network Mail Service reply

    -
    > Micron
    >
    > http://www.experiencewindows.com
    > Professional Help & Support

    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > > Is the following genuine or a virus please?
    > >
    > > From Network Mail Service
    > > to Internet mailservice receiver
    > > Subject Mail
    > >
    > > There is nothing in the message, but the following attachments are

    shown
    > > ATT00042.txt(432 bytes)

    THIS CONTAINS A VIRUS
    > > ATT00045.txt (444 bytes)

    THIS CONTAINS A VIRUS

    > > Is this safe to open please ?

    No.

    > > Geopelia

    Thank you.

    I clicked both attachments and each contained a virus. Xtra removed them
    both and advised that is what they were.
    No harm done, but look out if this message and the attachments are sent to
    you. I find xtra is very good, reasonably priced and great at removing
    viruses.

    It looks like "Network Mail Service" is like these messages that purport to
    come from Microsoft.

    Any comments please?

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Sep 6, 2003
  5. geopelia

    trout Guest

    geopelia wrote:

    > "Micron" <> wrote in message
    >> You usually get this as an email that is returned due to it not being
    >> delivered. the ATT00042.txt is just an attachment with your origional
    >> message. Its not a Virus, but could still contain one.
    >>
    >> "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is the following genuine or a virus please?
    >>>
    >>> From Network Mail Service
    >>> to Internet mailservice receiver
    >>> Subject Mail
    >>>
    >>> There is nothing in the message, but the following attachments are
    >>> shown ATT00042.txt(432 bytes)

    > THIS CONTAINS A VIRUS
    >>> ATT00045.txt (444 bytes)

    > THIS CONTAINS A VIRUS
    >>>
    >>> Is this safe to open please ?

    > No.
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia
    >>>

    > Thank you.
    >
    > I clicked both attachments and each contained a virus. Xtra removed
    > them both and advised that is what they were.
    > No harm done, but look out if this message and the attachments are
    > sent to you. I find xtra is very good, reasonably priced and great at
    > removing viruses.
    >
    > It looks like "Network Mail Service" is like these messages that
    > purport to come from Microsoft.
    >
    > Any comments please?
    >
    > Geopelia

    It's very difficult to say, without seeing the headers of the
    original message, or knowing which virus it actually was.
    There are two main possibilities. It could be a virus-created fake
    address in a mail that was sent to you. It could be a mail that was sent
    from an infected computer (of someone with your address in their book)
    that spoofed your address as a 'return' address; that was 'sent back' as
    undeliverable.
    Either way, you did the right thing (although it would have been
    nice to be able to inform the infected party or their ISP of what had
    happened).
    --
    "Suspicion is healthy."
    trout, Sep 7, 2003
  6. geopelia

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > geopelia wrote:
    >
    > > "Micron" <> wrote in message
    > >> You usually get this as an email that is returned due to it not being
    > >> delivered. the ATT00042.txt is just an attachment with your origional
    > >> message. Its not a Virus, but could still contain one.
    > >>
    > >> "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > > THIS CONTAINS A VIRUS

    > > THIS CONTAINS A VIRUS

    > > No.

    > > Thank you.
    > >
    > > I clicked both attachments and each contained a virus. Xtra removed
    > > them both and advised that is what they were.
    > > No harm done, but look out if this message and the attachments are
    > > sent to you. I find xtra is very good, reasonably priced and great at
    > > removing viruses.
    > >
    > > It looks like "Network Mail Service" is like these messages that
    > > purport to come from Microsoft.
    > >
    > > Any comments please?
    > >
    > > Geopelia

    > It's very difficult to say, without seeing the headers of the
    > original message, or knowing which virus it actually was.
    > There are two main possibilities. It could be a virus-created fake
    > address in a mail that was sent to you. It could be a mail that was sent
    > from an infected computer (of someone with your address in their book)
    > that spoofed your address as a 'return' address; that was 'sent back' as
    > undeliverable.
    > Either way, you did the right thing (although it would have been
    > nice to be able to inform the infected party or their ISP of what had
    > happened).
    > --
    > "Suspicion is healthy."

    Thank you. I have been trying to contact this Network Mail as they keep
    sending me a message that I need to update urgently. When I click their
    message frame I see that with Windows ME and Outlook Express 5.5 I don't
    need to update. I have no idea what is going on, but now I know about the
    virus I will just ignore them.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Sep 7, 2003