Network Magic 2.0

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Gene Hora, Nov 20, 2005.

  1. Gene Hora

    Gene Hora Guest

    I ran across Network Magic on the internet and a review of it on CNET (or
    Zdnet?). It seems to make networking simple for people who know little about
    setting up a network (that's me). I want to set up a simple system-- PC
    hardwired with SBC Yahoo! through a 2Wire wireless modem/router, then
    connect wirelessly my grandaughter's Toshiba notebook (Christmas present)
    with printer/file sharing capability.

    I've read much (maybe too much) over the past few months and still feel
    inadequate to do this without much trial and error. I have the program, but
    don't intend to setup the network until shortly before Christmas. What I'm
    wondering is if Network Magic is going to inhibit the Toshiba notebook from
    later being able to access legitimate hotspots. Since the program must be
    installed on each computer in the network, I thought it might be dome kind
    of "closed circuit" setup. My post probably testifies to how little I know
    about this subject.

    TIA

    Gene H.

    Gene Hora, Nov 20, 2005

  2. Gene Hora

    Ryan Younger Guest

    I can't say I've ever had cause to use Network Magic. However, setting up
    your network the traditional way will be more of a learning experience, and
    cheaper.

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/airsick/ - My Wireless Networking Blog

    Ryan Younger, Nov 20, 2005

  3. Gene Hora

    Gene Hora Guest

    Well, I've already got the program. While there was a time when I would
    value a "learning experience," now I just want simple and easy. I will be
    setting up a network connection for my granddaughter on her father's PC, and
    don't want to go through what I had to experience on my own setup. I was
    able to get wireless connection on mine, but file/printer sharing just
    wouldn't happen.

    Had to pay for an "expert" who had more trouble than I did and he finally
    managed it. It appears he had to "map" the host (mine) PC's drives to the
    laptop --maybe this is the way it is supposed to be done, but the setup
    doesn't appear to be like those I read about. Hence, if Network Magic is a
    good solution, I would like to go with it. It got mostly good user reviews
    on ZDNet and from ZDNet itself.

    Gene Hora, Nov 20, 2005
  4. Gene Hora

    Ryan Younger Guest

    If you feel the program may be of use to you then I would say give it a
    whirl. You don't say what operating system you are currently using or were
    using previously when you said you encountered issues. Windows XP comes
    with a 'Wireless Network Setup Wizard' (you'll need to make sure you are
    using a fully patched machine including Service Pack 2, you can download all
    updates at http://www.windowsupdate.com/ ) which greatly simplifies the
    process of setting up a wireless network. This feature can be accesed by
    clicking Start > Control Panel > Wireless Network Setup Wizard

    Ryan Younger, Nov 20, 2005
  5. If you're using XP, better create a restore point before doing anything.
    Good luck

    =?Utf-8?B?Tmljaw==?=, Nov 21, 2005
  6. Gene Hora

    Gene Hora Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > If you're using XP, better create a restore point before doing anything.
    > Good luck
    >
    > "Ryan Younger" wrote:
    >
    >> If you feel the program may be of use to you then I would say give it a
    >> whirl. You don't say what operating system you are currently using or
    >> were
    >> using previously when you said you encountered issues. Windows XP comes
    >> with a 'Wireless Network Setup Wizard' (you'll need to make sure you are
    >> using a fully patched machine including Service Pack 2, you can download
    >> all
    >> updates at http://www.windowsupdate.com/ ) which greatly simplifies the
    >> process of setting up a wireless network. This feature can be accesed by
    >> clicking Start > Control Panel > Wireless Network Setup Wizard
    >>
    >> --
    >> All the best,
    >>
    >> Ryan Younger.
    >> http://spaces.msn.com/members/airsick/ - My Wireless Networking
    >> Blog
    >>

    >> "Gene Hora" <geneho12(no-spam-remove)@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> > Well, I've already got the program. While there was a time when I
    >> > would
    >> > value a "learning experience," now I just want simple and easy. I will
    >> > be
    >> > setting up a network connection for my granddaughter on her father's
    >> > PC,
    >> > and don't want to go through what I had to experience on my own setup.
    >> > was able to get wireless connection on mine, but file/printer sharing
    >> > just
    >> > wouldn't happen.
    >> >
    >> > Had to pay for an "expert" who had more trouble than I did and he
    >> > finally
    >> > managed it. It appears he had to "map" the host (mine) PC's drives to
    >> > the
    >> > laptop --maybe this is the way it is supposed to be done, but the
    >> > setup
    >> > doesn't appear to be like those I read about. Hence, if Network Magic
    >> > is a
    >> > good solution, I would like to go with it. It got mostly good user
    >> > reviews on ZDNet and from ZDNet itself.
    >> >

    >> > "Ryan Younger" <> wrote in message

    Thanks to both responders. I'm using WinXP (SP2) and was remiss in not
    stating this earlier. I apologize for that. I usually remember to establish
    restore points before making significant actions to the system. Has helped
    on a number of occasions, although not always.

    Gene Hora, Nov 21, 2005
  7. "Gene Hora" <geneho12(no-spam-remove)@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I ran across Network Magic on the internet and a review of it on CNET (or
    >Zdnet?). It seems to make networking simple for people who know little
    >about setting up a network (that's me). I want to set up a simple system--
    >PC hardwired with SBC Yahoo! through a 2Wire wireless modem/router, then
    >connect wirelessly my grandaughter's Toshiba notebook (Christmas present)
    >with printer/file sharing capability.
    >
    > I've read much (maybe too much) over the past few months and still feel
    > inadequate to do this without much trial and error. I have the program,
    > but don't intend to setup the network until shortly before Christmas.
    > What I'm wondering is if Network Magic is going to inhibit the Toshiba
    > notebook from later being able to access legitimate hotspots. Since the
    > program must be installed on each computer in the network, I thought it
    > might be dome kind of "closed circuit" setup. My post probably testifies
    > to how little I know about this subject.

    Network Magic does not need to be installed on all computers on a network.
    I tried the program out, installing it on two of four systems on my home
    network. The two systems that did not have Network Magic installed still
    connected and worked properly. My understanding is that it used the various
    functions of Windows and just consolidates them into one easy user
    interface. There is no requirement that it has to be installed on every
    computer on a network.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Nov 21, 2005
  8. Gene Hora

    Gene Hora Guest

    "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    > "Gene Hora" <geneho12(no-spam-remove)@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>I ran across Network Magic on the internet and a review of it on CNET (or
    >>Zdnet?). It seems to make networking simple for people who know little
    >>about setting up a network (that's me). I want to set up a simple system--
    >>PC hardwired with SBC Yahoo! through a 2Wire wireless modem/router, then
    >>connect wirelessly my grandaughter's Toshiba notebook (Christmas present)
    >>with printer/file sharing capability.
    >>
    >> I've read much (maybe too much) over the past few months and still feel
    >> inadequate to do this without much trial and error. I have the program,
    >> but don't intend to setup the network until shortly before Christmas.
    >> What I'm wondering is if Network Magic is going to inhibit the Toshiba
    >> notebook from later being able to access legitimate hotspots. Since the
    >> program must be installed on each computer in the network, I thought it
    >> might be dome kind of "closed circuit" setup. My post probably testifies
    >> to how little I know about this subject.

    > Network Magic does not need to be installed on all computers on a network.
    > I tried the program out, installing it on two of four systems on my home
    > network. The two systems that did not have Network Magic installed still
    > connected and worked properly. My understanding is that it used the
    > various functions of Windows and just consolidates them into one easy user
    > interface. There is no requirement that it has to be installed on every
    > computer on a network.

    Your post has encouraged me to go ahead with Network Magic -- also other
    reviews I've read since my first posting. Because Network Magic supposedly
    searches out other devices connected to a network, theoretically you
    wouldn't need to copy it to all PCs on the home network. However, the
    Network Magic web site FAQs definitely state to copy the program to all PCs
    "in your home network." Further, a review by PC Magazine says in part:

    "...The real "magic" begins when you install the software on additional
    Windows computers. The additional systems will also scan and discover all
    devices on the network and those devices will just show up in the Network
    Magic Interface..."

    I would hazard a guess that it would be important to copy the program to a
    wireless PC (or notebook) -- then the program on the wireless component
    would search to the home wired device and establish the connection. I didn't
    run across the FAQ section before. It's worth reading. Thanks again.

    Gene Hora, Nov 21, 2005
  9. Gene Hora

    TW Guest

    You might not need to install network magic on all computers and here's why.

    The Network Neighborhood on all networked computers works by using the
    Browser service. When a computer starts up, it first checks for a master
    browser, and if it finds one on the network it announces its self and any
    shares on the computer. This is what populates the network neighborhood. The
    master browser on the network uses an election process,with the criteria
    being Windows version, then computer uptime. Windows XP will always win an
    election over Win2k or Win98. A server operating system will always win an
    election over desktop operating systems.

    If it doesn't find a master browser it elects its self to be master browser
    thus holding the master browse list used to populate the network
    neighborhood on all other networked computers.

    Sharing a resource on a computer is the key to the network and the network
    places. When you share a drive, folder, printer, or anything else that you
    want shared this will automatically start the SERVER service on your
    computer, which in turn will announce the shared resources to the computer
    holding the master browse list(which could be its self), thus populating the
    network neighborhood within your network. This all happens behind the scenes
    without any user intervention.

    This might be more info than you wanted, but I thought you might want to
    know how Windows networking works.

    Post back with details on how Network Magic works for you.
    I am going to research this program.

    TW, Nov 22, 2005
  10. "Gene Hora" <geneho12(no-spam-remove)@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    >> "Gene Hora" <geneho12(no-spam-remove)@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>>I ran across Network Magic on the internet and a review of it on CNET (or
    >>>Zdnet?). It seems to make networking simple for people who know little
    >>>about setting up a network (that's me). I want to set up a simple
    >>>system-- PC hardwired with SBC Yahoo! through a 2Wire wireless
    >>>modem/router, then connect wirelessly my grandaughter's Toshiba notebook
    >>>(Christmas present) with printer/file sharing capability.
    >>>
    >>> I've read much (maybe too much) over the past few months and still feel
    >>> inadequate to do this without much trial and error. I have the program,
    >>> but don't intend to setup the network until shortly before Christmas.
    >>> What I'm wondering is if Network Magic is going to inhibit the Toshiba
    >>> notebook from later being able to access legitimate hotspots. Since the
    >>> program must be installed on each computer in the network, I thought it
    >>> might be dome kind of "closed circuit" setup. My post probably
    >>> testifies to how little I know about this subject.

    >> Network Magic does not need to be installed on all computers on a
    >> network. I tried the program out, installing it on two of four systems on
    >> my home network. The two systems that did not have Network Magic
    >> installed still connected and worked properly. My understanding is that
    >> it used the various functions of Windows and just consolidates them into
    >> one easy user interface. There is no requirement that it has to be
    >> installed on every computer on a network.

    > Your post has encouraged me to go ahead with Network Magic -- also other
    > reviews I've read since my first posting. Because Network Magic supposedly
    > searches out other devices connected to a network, theoretically you
    > wouldn't need to copy it to all PCs on the home network. However, the
    > Network Magic web site FAQs definitely state to copy the program to all
    > PCs "in your home network." Further, a review by PC Magazine says in
    > part:
    >
    > "...The real "magic" begins when you install the software on additional
    > Windows computers. The additional systems will also scan and discover all
    > devices on the network and those devices will just show up in the Network
    > Magic Interface..."
    >
    > I would hazard a guess that it would be important to copy the program to a
    > wireless PC (or notebook) -- then the program on the wireless component
    > would search to the home wired device and establish the connection. I
    > didn't run across the FAQ section before. It's worth reading. Thanks
    > again.

    Although you don't need to install the app on all systems, the license
    covers 5 installations, IIRC. So, in that case, it would seem like a good
    idea to install it on all systems in your home since the license allows it.
    It does make networking easier. Come to think of it, I just might go ahead
    and order a license for the new version. I can work my way through most
    home networking problems but they do frustrate me sometimes and Network
    Magic makes it easier.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Nov 22, 2005
  11. Gene Hora

    Gene Hora Guest

    A follow-up, albeit a little delayed.

    I installed Network Magic on both the home wired PC and the Toshiba
    notebook. It really worked like magic! What a breeze! I found that the
    advantage of installing the program on both (or all) computers makes a snap
    of setting up the sharing of all printers and whatever file sharing is
    desired. It was easily worth the price of the package.

    I guess I really speak to those people of my level of knowledge about
    wireless setup. I'm sure the much more knowledgeable than I probably would
    accomplish the same without benefit of the program and just as easily.

    Gene Hora, Jan 2, 2006