Network Load Balance problem

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Paul Smith, Dec 17, 2008.

  1. Paul Smith

    Paul Smith Guest

    Network Load Balance problem

    Hi all

    I am trying to use load balancing between two windows 2003 servers and a
    windows xp client and all three are running IIS. The following is the
    config:

    SERVER-A : 192.168.2.1 - leasing DHCP IP from 192.168.2.5-100
    SERVER-B : 192.168.2.2
    PC-A : 192.168.2.6

    I created a cluster with the IP 192.168.3.1 but I am having problems to add
    the hosts to it. I also created a A record in DNS for the cluster. This is a
    screenshot of the problem :
    http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs434&d=08513&f=newpicture282281.jpg

    Can anyone illuminate me as to what might be the problem?

    thanks!
    Paul Smith, Dec 17, 2008

  2. Paul Smith

    Paul Smith Guest

    sorry IP of cluster set is 192.168.2.3, which is the same subnet of the
    others...

    Paul Smith, Dec 17, 2008

  3. "Paul Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Network Load Balance problem
    >
    > Hi all
    >
    > I am trying to use load balancing between two windows 2003 servers and a
    > windows xp client and all three are running IIS.

    > SERVER-A : 192.168.2.1 - leasing DHCP IP from 192.168.2.5-100
    > SERVER-B : 192.168.2.2
    > PC-A : 192.168.2.6

    1. Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP run different versions of IIS. Even if
    you were to get NLB working, I suspect the differences between IIS 6.0 and
    IIS 5.1 are going to seriously impact consistent and reliable functionality
    of anything except the simplest of websites.

    2. What are you using as training guidance that would suggest creating an
    NLB cluster using a desktop operating system?

    3. How did you install/enable Network Load Balancing on the Windows XP
    system?

    4. Have you considered that trying to put a DHCP-addressed system in an NLB
    cluster simply isn't going to work? (If Server-A is serving up addresses
    starting at 192.168.2.5, then PC-A has a DHCP-issued address.)

    5. Might I suggest (based on the image provided) that first you get NLB
    configured on the *local* machine, then add the other server, and *then*
    consider (not) adding the XP system (with a STATIC address, not a
    DHCP-issued address).

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Dec 17, 2008
  4. Paul Smith

    Paul Smith Guest

    hi again
    thanks for your help i managed to get the NLB to work. i set it on my w2k3
    servers on IIS and is working perfectly.
    only problem is that when i close the NLB manager it is loosing all
    configuration, and when i reopen it again it says something on unicast
    etc...my hosts are all set as multicast and NLB protocol is bound on all
    servers so i dont know exactly what problem is.
    i had to export host list and had to import it and leave the manager open
    all the time...
    is there a way how i can close the nlb manager without loosing all config?
    thanks a million!!

    Paul Smith, Dec 19, 2008