    inkjet. I use standard copier paper. Any suggestions
    please ?
    , Sep 16, 2006

  2. Cub Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I set up a new HP Laserjet 1320N as part of a small local
    > P2P network. The first self-test page printed fine - black
    > printed as a deep rich black. But all subsequent files,
    > including the built-in test page, print lightly (is that
    > the correct term ?). Black comes out as dark grey.
    >
    > It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
    > and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
    > I tried all density settings from 600dpi to 1200dpi/180lpi.
    > I let the printer warm up for some time before printing.
    > It makes no difference. Text, pictures and the test page
    > all come out as if printed in FastDraft mode on my cheap
    > inkjet. I use standard copier paper. Any suggestions
    > please ?

    Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer during
    normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts
    Cub, Sep 16, 2006

  3. Guest

    Cub wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
    > > and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
    > >

    > Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer during
    > normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts

    Really ? (that's not meant as sarcasm). I read somewhere
    some time ago - I think it was in a laser printer manual
    - that a new toner cartridge should be shaken back and
    forth to loosen the toner and distribute it evenly (not
    side to side as that would tend to pile up the powder in
    one spot).
    , Sep 16, 2006
  4. Cub Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Cub wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
    >> > and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
    >> >

    >> Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer during
    >> normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts

    > Really ? (that's not meant as sarcasm). I read somewhere
    > some time ago - I think it was in a laser printer manual
    > - that a new toner cartridge should be shaken back and
    > forth to loosen the toner and distribute it evenly (not
    > side to side as that would tend to pile up the powder in
    > one spot).

    Seen the problem of toner dump so many times, users trey to get the last bit
    of toner out and just cause a mess !
    Cub, Sep 16, 2006
  5. <> wrote in message
    >I set up a new HP Laserjet 1320N as part of a small local
    > P2P network. The first self-test page printed fine - black
    > printed as a deep rich black. But all subsequent files,
    > including the built-in test page, print lightly (is that
    > the correct term ?). Black comes out as dark grey.
    >
    > It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
    > and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
    > I tried all density settings from 600dpi to 1200dpi/180lpi.
    > I let the printer warm up for some time before printing.
    > It makes no difference. Text, pictures and the test page
    > all come out as if printed in FastDraft mode on my cheap
    > inkjet. I use standard copier paper. Any suggestions
    > please ?

    Hi

    Three possibles

    1) Toner is faulty - it happens (chip issues mainly)

    2) Set Up is wrong - Printer or PC

    3) User hasnt pulled the tape off the toner cartridge - Toner will print
    10-50 pages from the toner left behind after the test pages were run

    hth

    Phil
    Phil Saunders, Sep 16, 2006
  6. Guest

    Cub wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Cub wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in message

    > >> Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer during
    > >> normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts

    > > Really ? (that's not meant as sarcasm). I read somewhere
    > > some time ago - I think it was in a laser printer manual
    > > - that a new toner cartridge should be shaken back and
    > > forth to loosen the toner and distribute it evenly (not
    > > side to side as that would tend to pile up the powder in
    > > one spot).
    > >

    > Seen the problem of toner dump so many times, users trey to get the last bit
    > of toner out and just cause a mess !

    I can imagine how that could happen. Those people probably
    got a bit too enthusiastic while trying to loosen every
    last speck of toner.
    , Sep 16, 2006
  7. "Cub" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >>I set up a new HP Laserjet 1320N as part of a small local
    >> P2P network. The first self-test page printed fine - black
    >> printed as a deep rich black. But all subsequent files,
    >> including the built-in test page, print lightly (is that
    >> the correct term ?). Black comes out as dark grey.
    >>
    >> It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
    >> and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
    >> I tried all density settings from 600dpi to 1200dpi/180lpi.
    >> I let the printer warm up for some time before printing.
    >> It makes no difference. Text, pictures and the test page
    >> all come out as if printed in FastDraft mode on my cheap
    >> inkjet. I use standard copier paper. Any suggestions
    >> please ?
    >>

    > Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer during
    > normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts

    Shaking toner cartridges gently is a good idea if

    1) The toner is new
    2) The toner appears to be empty

    This advice can be found on the information that comes with some toners. It
    is also in the training given to trade sales people from HP & Brother.

    hth

    Phil
    Phil Saunders, Sep 16, 2006
  8. SgtMinor Guest

    wrote:
    > Cub wrote:
    >
    >><> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
    >>>and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
    >>>

    >>Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer during
    >>normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts

    > Really ? (that's not meant as sarcasm). I read somewhere
    > some time ago - I think it was in a laser printer manual
    > - that a new toner cartridge should be shaken back and
    > forth to loosen the toner and distribute it evenly (not
    > side to side as that would tend to pile up the powder in
    > one spot).

    It depends what you mean by "shaking." HP advises users to
    "gently rock" the cartridge back and forth.
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?A1CB427CD

    I've shaken lots of cartridges myself and have never had a problem
    as a result.
    SgtMinor, Sep 16, 2006
  9. Guest

    Phil Saunders wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >I set up a new HP Laserjet 1320N as part of a small local
    > > P2P network. The first self-test page printed fine - black
    > > printed as a deep rich black. But all subsequent files,
    > > including the built-in test page, print lightly (is that
    > > the correct term ?). Black comes out as dark grey.
    > >

    > Hi
    >
    > Three possibles
    >
    > 1) Toner is faulty - it happens (chip issues mainly)

    I'm inclined to think this is so.

    > 2) Set Up is wrong - Printer or PC

    I can't imagine what could be wrong in the setup. The
    installation and the print jobs went smoothly except for
    the light print.

    > 3) User hasnt pulled the tape off the toner cartridge - Toner will print
    > 10-50 pages from the toner left behind after the test pages were run

    I pulled off the tape myself and the whole length came
    out smoothly. Only the first test print was OK. Everything
    else came out lightly printed. I've printed about 20 pages
    and there has been neither improvement nor further
    degradation.
    , Sep 16, 2006
  10. Cub Guest

    "Phil Saunders" <> wrote in message
    > "Cub" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>>I set up a new HP Laserjet 1320N as part of a small local
    >>> P2P network. The first self-test page printed fine - black
    >>> printed as a deep rich black. But all subsequent files,
    >>> including the built-in test page, print lightly (is that
    >>> the correct term ?). Black comes out as dark grey.
    >>>
    >>> It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
    >>> and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
    >>> I tried all density settings from 600dpi to 1200dpi/180lpi.
    >>> I let the printer warm up for some time before printing.
    >>> It makes no difference. Text, pictures and the test page
    >>> all come out as if printed in FastDraft mode on my cheap
    >>> inkjet. I use standard copier paper. Any suggestions
    >>> please ?
    >>>

    >> Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer during
    >> normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts

    > Shaking toner cartridges gently is a good idea if
    >
    > 1) The toner is new
    > 2) The toner appears to be empty
    >
    > This advice can be found on the information that comes with some toners.
    > It is also in the training given to trade sales people from HP & Brother.
    >
    > hth
    >
    > Phil

    You can shake whatever and sure it suggested... but everything has
    consequences.

    Do you bang your monitor on it's side when the image flickers ?
    Cub, Sep 16, 2006
  11. Vanguard Guest

    "Cub" <> wrote in message

    > "Phil Saunders" <> wrote in message
    >> "Cub" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer
    >>> during normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts

    >> Shaking toner cartridges gently is a good idea if
    >>
    >> 1) The toner is new
    >> 2) The toner appears to be empty
    >>
    >> This advice can be found on the information that comes with some
    >> toners. It is also in the training given to trade sales people from
    >> HP & Brother.

    > You can shake whatever and sure it suggested... but everything has
    > consequences.

    Sure, like throwing away a perfectly usable and full toner cartridge
    due to caking that can easily be overcome. EVERYTHING, including
    doing nothing, has consequences. The inkjet printer makers also tell
    you never to refill your cartridges because they want you buying their
    cartridges, and yet lots of us have been very successful at refilling
    them. And, yes, there are consequences, like a mess if you don't know
    what you are doing, bad prints if you use cheap ink, and paying a lot
    more for cartridges if you buy them new.

    > Do you bang your monitor on it's side when the image flickers ?

    Some of still use CRTs. If a dust arc occurs, yep, slapping it is how
    you break the arc.
    Vanguard, Sep 16, 2006
  12. Vanguard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I set up a new HP Laserjet 1320N as part of a small local
    > P2P network. The first self-test page printed fine - black
    > printed as a deep rich black. But all subsequent files,
    > including the built-in test page, print lightly (is that
    > the correct term ?). Black comes out as dark grey.
    >
    > It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
    > and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
    > I tried all density settings from 600dpi to 1200dpi/180lpi.
    > I let the printer warm up for some time before printing.
    > It makes no difference. Text, pictures and the test page
    > all come out as if printed in FastDraft mode on my cheap
    > inkjet. I use standard copier paper. Any suggestions
    > please ?

    If you are not willing to incur the expense of another toner to test
    if the one provided with the printer is perhaps defective, just take
    back the whole new printer and tell the store it was defective and
    exchange it for another one.
    Vanguard, Sep 16, 2006
  13. Guest

    Vanguard wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >I set up a new HP Laserjet 1320N as part of a small local
    > > P2P network. The first self-test page printed fine - black
    > > printed as a deep rich black. But all subsequent files,
    > > including the built-in test page, print lightly (is that
    > > the correct term ?). Black comes out as dark grey.
    > >

    > If you are not willing to incur the expense of another toner to test
    > if the one provided with the printer is perhaps defective, just take
    > back the whole new printer and tell the store it was defective and
    > exchange it for another one.

    I take it then that no one here can think of any possible
    cause other than that the toner is defective ? In that case,
    exchanging the toner would be the only solution. I'm a
    regular customer with my suppliers and they accept any
    returns without question.

    The problem is that I live in a remote location in India
    and my suppliers are in a distant city. Shipping involves
    a fair bit of hassle and I want to be sure there's nothing
    else I can try. Also, I don't want to make myself look
    like an idiot by returning a perfectly good piece of
    merchandise.

    One more thing : The other laser printers I bought before
    - mostly entry-level models for others - had the toner in
    a separate, sealed container inside the printer carton.
    This printer came with the toner cartridge already fitted
    in place (the protective tape was in place). Is this normal
    with the LJ1320N ?
    , Sep 17, 2006
  14. "Cub" <> wrote in message

    > "Phil Saunders" <> wrote in message
    >> "Cub" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> <> wrote in message

    snip

    >>> Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer during
    >>> normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts

    >> Shaking toner cartridges gently is a good idea if
    >>
    >> 1) The toner is new
    >> 2) The toner appears to be empty
    >>
    >> This advice can be found on the information that comes with some toners.
    >> It is also in the training given to trade sales people from HP & Brother.
    >>
    >> hth
    >>
    >> Phil
    >>

    > You can shake whatever and sure it suggested... but everything has
    > consequences.

    Indeed. The consequence of shaking is that

    1) Toner is more evenly distibuted inside the hopper
    2) Toner returns to its more fluid charged state

    > Do you bang your monitor on it's side when the image flickers ?

    No I dont but then

    1) I dont have a crt monitor and mine doesnt flicker
    2) I havent sold 600k of computer monitors a month for the last 3 years so I
    trust what those that have tell me.

    regards

    Phil
    Phil Saunders, Sep 17, 2006