    want to reset the Belkin router. Can we work on the Home
    laptop with no key? How does one do this?

    Thanks.

    Sanford Aranoff, Feb 9, 2009

  2. Sanford Aranoff

    John Guest

    "Sanford Aranoff" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > XP Prof, desktop, connects to Internet via cable.
    > XP Prof, laptop, connects via wireless
    > XP Home, laptop. "Wireless connection is excellent."
    > However, it needs the network key. We have the key written
    > down, and added the key. It does not accept it. We do not

    It's possible that there's a security mismatch between the router and
    laptop. What security are you using? WEP, WPA or WPA2?

    > want to reset the Belkin router. Can we work on the Home
    > laptop with no key? How does one do this?

    Yes, use ethernet cable.

    John, Feb 9, 2009

  3. Hi
    You do not need the reset the Router. You can log to its menu (look at the
    Router's manual) and change the Wireless Encryption key while making sure
    that you wrote it down correctly.
    The best way is to copy it via Windows copy paste to a text file, and then
    copy and paste from the text file to the Wireless Client's Key entry.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 9, 2009
  4. "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > You do not need the reset the Router. You can log to its menu (look at the
    > Router's manual) and change the Wireless Encryption key while making sure
    > that you wrote it down correctly.
    > The best way is to copy it via Windows copy paste to a text file, and then
    > copy and paste from the text file to the Wireless Client's Key entry.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Sanford Aranoff" <> wrote in message
    > > XP Prof, desktop, connects to Internet via cable.
    > > XP Prof, laptop, connects via wireless
    > > XP Home, laptop. "Wireless connection is excellent."
    > > However, it needs the network key. We have the key written
    > > down, and added the key. It does not accept it. We do not
    > > want to reset the Belkin router. Can we work on the Home
    > > laptop with no key? How does one do this?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Okay, let me try to explain again the problem. The desktop
    and one portable work fine. We have the key, written down
    (and also from a freeware program). We went to the second
    portable and added this key. In spite of the message that
    the Internet connection signal is excellent, it does not
    connect: Message: Router requires a key. But we gave it the
    correct key (copied from the portable that works fine).

    This is the message:
    Connected
    Security-enabled wireless network
    This network requires a network key. You are currently
    connected to the network. To disconnect from the network,
    click Disconnect below.

    Sanford Aranoff, Feb 10, 2009
  5. "Sanford Aranoff" <> wrote in message
    > This is the message:
    > Connected
    > Security-enabled wireless network
    > This network requires a network key. You are currently
    > connected to the network. To disconnect from the network,
    > click Disconnect below.

    It says you are connected,...therefore the Key worked. If the key didn't
    work you would not be connected.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Feb 10, 2009
  6. Sanford Aranoff

    > This is the message: Connected

    What is NOT CLEAR about that?

    > Security-enabled wireless network

    Ok, so it tells you the network is protected (not open).

    > This network requires a network key.

    Another message telling you that you need a key IF you want to connect to
    the network.

    > You are currently
    > connected to the network. To disconnect from the network,
    > click Disconnect below.

    So, you ARE connected. What's the problem?

    John, Feb 10, 2009
  7. Hi
    Seeing a good signal does not mean that there is a Network connection. It
    means that the Radio in the Wireless card is capable to receiving a WIFI
    signal
    I do not know what type Wireless Encryption you are using.
    With WEP there can be differences between how computer handle the key. (
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep ).
    In any case the easiest way is to insure first that all Wireless computers
    work OK is to establish that all of them can use the Internet without
    Security, and then secure all the Wireless computers with New Fresh Key.
    Your first post is more than 48 hours ago, logging to the Router's menus and
    disabling the security take less than a minute.
    Otherwise I am sure that there are professional people that can provide
    onsite service.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 11, 2009
  8. "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Seeing a good signal does not mean that there is a Network connection. It
    > means that the Radio in the Wireless card is capable to receiving a WIFI
    > signal
    > I do not know what type Wireless Encryption you are using.
    > With WEP there can be differences between how computer handle the key. (
    > http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep ).
    > In any case the easiest way is to insure first that all Wireless computers
    > work OK is to establish that all of them can use the Internet without
    > Security, and then secure all the Wireless computers with New Fresh Key.
    > Your first post is more than 48 hours ago, logging to the Router's menus and
    > disabling the security take less than a minute.
    > Otherwise I am sure that there are professional people that can provide
    > onsite service.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Sanford Aranoff" <> wrote in message
    > > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Hi
    > >> You do not need the reset the Router. You can log to its menu (look at
    > >> the
    > >> Router's manual) and change the Wireless Encryption key while making sure
    > >> that you wrote it down correctly.
    > >> The best way is to copy it via Windows copy paste to a text file, and
    > >> then
    > >> copy and paste from the text file to the Wireless Client's Key entry.
    > >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    > >>
    > >> "Sanford Aranoff" <> wrote in message

    > > Okay, let me try to explain again the problem. The desktop
    > > and one portable work fine. We have the key, written down
    > > (and also from a freeware program). We went to the second
    > > portable and added this key. In spite of the message that
    > > the Internet connection signal is excellent, it does not
    > > connect: Message: Router requires a key. But we gave it the
    > > correct key (copied from the portable that works fine).
    > >
    > > This is the message:
    > > Connected
    > > Security-enabled wireless network
    > > This network requires a network key. You are currently
    > > connected to the network. To disconnect from the network,
    > > click Disconnect below.

    WEP encryption.

    Sanford Aranoff, Feb 11, 2009