Network Internet connection problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mcploppy ©, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Mcploppy ©

    Mcploppy © Guest

    This is a strange one....(to me anyway)

    2 machines connected together thru a hub.

    Win XP machine connected to net on broadband connection, this connection is
    shared.
    Other machine win98 - cannot open some webpages, typically www.yahoo.co.uk
    www.google.co.uk.

    The 98 machine can log into MSN, AIM and browse everywhere else apart from
    these sites.

    The XP machine goes to these sites no problem.

    I have turned off zonealrm, to see if that makes a difference... nope....

    Any ideas....

    --
    Greg Crawford
    **********************
    Mcploppy ©, Jun 29, 2003

  2. Mcploppy ©

    Mcploppy © Guest

    In news:bdmgo3$emc$,
    Mcploppy © <> bashed at the keyboard
    and said..:
    > This is a strange one....(to me anyway)
    >
    > 2 machines connected together thru a hub.
    >
    > Win XP machine connected to net on broadband connection, this
    > connection is shared.
    > Other machine win98 - cannot open some webpages, typically
    > www.yahoo.co.uk www.google.co.uk.
    >
    > The 98 machine can log into MSN, AIM and browse everywhere else apart
    > from these sites.
    >
    > The XP machine goes to these sites no problem.
    >
    > I have turned off zonealrm, to see if that makes a difference...
    > nope....
    >
    > Any ideas....

    *FIXED IT* :)

    I had used BT's MTU optimiser tool, to optimise the xp machine, this changed
    the MTU settings on this machine, found an article in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, that seemed to be the exact problem.

    The cure:
    Download DrTCP - by dslreports http://www.dslreports.com/front/DRTCP021.zip
    and set the mtu on the 98 machine to the same as the xp machine, reboot....
    hey presto

    Happy Again
    Mcploppy ©, Jun 29, 2003