    thx for your replies.

    Treasure Today You're Not Promised Tomorrow
    Don
    Don P, Jun 22, 2004

  2. Don P

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Don P" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > -- I'm trying to set up my home network and am a little confuzzed about

    the
    > sequence of the parts.
    > I plan to set up two computers with a server unit .
    > 1. Do I connect the server to my cable modem then to the other machines

    with
    > a router or should the router be between the modem and the server?
    > 2. With Win XP pro on two machines now, should the server also have XP

    pro?
    > 3. Will the speed of my CPU's alter the speed of the network, we have (1

    amd
    > duron1300, 1 Pentium III 700, & 1 Pentium III 667.

    There are other home networking topics at the top of the link.

    Google is your friend.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Don P

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Don P" <> wrote in

    > 1. Do I connect the server to my cable modem then to the other
    > machines with a router or should the router be between the modem and
    > the server?

    If you are going to be using a router, you should have the following
    setup:

    Cable modem -> Router -> Switch (on the router if it is a router with
    onboard switch) -> Rest of your network. You don't need a server for
    what you are doing.

    > 2. With Win XP pro on two machines now, should the server
    > also have XP pro?

    What do you want the server to do? Share files? Share the net
    connection? If sharing the net connection, you don't need a router. I
    would recommend you use a router instead of a server to share your
    connection. Not a personal stab, but to use a server and do it well and
    securely, you need much more experience than you have.

    > 3. Will the speed of my CPU's alter the speed of the
    > network, we have (1 amd duron1300, 1 Pentium III 700, & 1 Pentium III
    > 667.

    Not in the slightest.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Jun 22, 2004
  4. Don P

    Don P Guest

    Thank you for the answers I'll get going on the responses this week

    Don P, Jun 23, 2004
  5. Don P

    Plato Guest