Network help needed

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Paul, Sep 23, 2006.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi,
    I have recently changed from cable to adsl and now have 3 linksys
    devices that I an struggling to make work together.

    I have a Linksys ADSL2 Modem with USB and Ethernet (ADSL2MUE). This
    device has a DHCP server.

    I also have a Linksys Router (BEFSR81) and a Linksys Wireless Access
    (WAP54G).

    I can successfully connect my PC to the ADSL2 usb port and the
    wireless point to the ADSL ethernet port and both work.

    However I want to connect the ADSL2 ethernet to the WAN port on the
    router and my PC and the wireless point to the LAN ports on the
    router. I cannot get this setup to work.

    Both the Router and ADSL2 share the same default address of
    192.168.1.1 so one of them has to change.

    Can anyone suggest settings for the following :-

    ADSL2 IP address?
    Router WAN IP address?
    ADSL2 DHCP settings?
    Router DHCP settings?
    Wireless IP address?

    Thanks
    Paul (note that this email address is not read)

    Paul, Sep 23, 2006

  2. Hi

    As a Rule, if you can avoid using the USB port, do not use it.

    Otherwise, you have two options.

    1. If the New ADSL Modem/Router can be configured as Modem only.

    Configure it so, and use the second Router as the main and only Router.

    Plug the WAP into it, and disable the WAP's DHCP.

    2. Leave the ADSL Modem/Router as is, use the Ethernet output, and plug it
    to a Regular port on the BEFSR81. Configure the BEFSR81 as a dumb switch
    and plug the WAP into it. Leave only the first Router DHCP on, and switch
    off any other DHCP.

    This page describes the principle of sub connection,
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 23, 2006