Network Dropout?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cyrus Bharda, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. Cyrus Bharda

    Cyrus Bharda Guest

    Howdy all,

    Well yet again I am going to use you all as a helpdesk, if you dont mind.

    I have googled high and low, tried changing a thousand different settings,
    installed programs, uninstalled programs but the same problem just keeps
    happening and I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

    Problem:

    Everyday between 4:30pm and 5:00pm (seemingly random time in between) for
    some reason a mapped drive on all our 98 boxes gets disconnected.

    The map is to a share on a windows 2000 server and I have checked the share
    settings and security settings, all set to read/write access for everyone.

    The map is put in there via a login script which works fine, maps it to M:
    and there is sits and gets accessed all day long.

    Now there is nothing on the server that is scheduled to run anytime between
    4pm and 10pm and I have looked at countless logs which dont give me any
    clue, so I enabled some perfmon counters to try to see what is happening and
    they all look fine.

    This only happens to 98 boxes, any 2000 box with this share does not miss a
    beat.

    Everyone gets their IP settings from DHCP from the same 2000 server, and any
    mapped drive to other 2000/98 boxes stay connected and are fine.

    Is there anything I have missed?

    I dont really need answers like "install a real os" or "what do you expect
    from using a M$ product" type suggestions, I am just so totally annoyed that
    this keeps happening, and those boxes that are on 98 have to stay on 98 so
    no hope of upgrading them

    Is there a setting in 2000 server to drop connections or something?

    Thanks for your time,

    Cyrus Bharda
    Cyrus Bharda, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Cyrus Bharda

    George Guest

    Have you tried a force refresh of all IP address just before this happens?
    It might be a system protocol in 98 that is built in to force a refresh
    everyday ie for security reasons. Other than that, I cant think why that
    should be happening at all.

    "Cyrus Bharda"
    <> wrote in
    message news:...

    George, Sep 17, 2003

  3. Cyrus Bharda

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:42:35 +1000, Cyrus Bharda wrote:

    >Howdy all,
    >
    >Well yet again I am going to use you all as a helpdesk, if you dont mind.
    >
    >I have googled high and low, tried changing a thousand different settings,

    <snip>

    Please don't post binary files to a text group , frown.gif.

    Me
    why?, Sep 17, 2003