Network drives not reconnecting after reboot when on wireless

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Klaus Jensen, Nov 25, 2006.

  1. Klaus Jensen

    Klaus Jensen Guest

    Hi

    I have a Media Center in the bedroom, which is connected to my network
    through WLAN. It all works great, good signal strength etc.

    I have mapped a network drive on the Media Center to my server, where my
    media-files are stored. When connected, it works great.

    However - after a reboot the network drive does not reconnect as wanted, I
    have to enter My Computer and then doubleclick on the disconnected network
    drive - and then everything works fine again.

    I have done some googling and found quite a few people with the same problem
    in similar wireless scenarios - but no solution.

    It seems like it is a timing-issue - so when windoes tries to reconnect the
    network-drive, the connection is not fully established.

    Is there something I can do to fix this? Maybe a command I could run through
    the start-menu, which is run pretty late in the boot-process?

    Thanks in advance

    - Klaus

    Klaus Jensen, Nov 25, 2006

  2. Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Disable the autodisconnect timeout on the machine which offers the share
    using the "net config server /autodisconnect" command from the command line.
    I found this answer here in the middle of the page,
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/chats/transcripts/05_1020_MCE.mspx
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 25, 2006

  3. Klaus Jensen

    Klaus Jensen Guest

    > Disable the autodisconnect timeout on the machine which offers the share
    > using the "net config server /autodisconnect" command from the command
    > line.
    > I found this answer here in the middle of the page,
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/chats/transcripts/05_1020_MCE.mspx

    Hi Jack. Thank you very much for trying. :)

    Unfortunately, the solution specified does not work.

    I did some more digging and found this page:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138365 (its on NT and Win2k, but it seems
    likely to not have changed in XP)

    ....And ran this command on the server OFFERING the share as specified by the
    Help-doc:

    net config server /autodisconnect:-1

    Unfortunately, when the Media center reboots (client computer), the network
    drive is still disconnected.

    It seems like the right solution - but unfortunately I cant make it work. :(

    Other ideas?

    Thanks in advance

    - Klaus

    Klaus Jensen, Nov 27, 2006
  4. Klaus Jensen

    Klaus Jensen Guest

    > Other ideas?

    I solved it myself now.

    I created a bat-file, which waits for 20 seconds, and then uses NET USE to
    mount the drive.

    I then added this to the startup-folder of the start-menu - and it works!

    So apparently it is some kind of timing issue - the wireless connection is
    simply not established when windows tries to re-connect the network drive
    the first time.

    Klaus Jensen, Nov 27, 2006
  5. Klaus Jensen

    Tom E Jensen Guest

    Hei!
    Start - Run
    Eks.
    "net use x: \\192.168.X.X\deltkatalog"

    Høres ut som den serveren ikke er en domenekontroller og at det er p2p nett
    du har. Er klient maskinen meldt inn i domenet? Sjekk om du har nettkort
    eller pc som sparer strøm og slår seg av.

    Bye..

    Tom E Jensen, Nov 28, 2006
  6. Klaus Jensen

    tbrown622

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Wireless Laptop will not reconnect to network drives on server

    Will you please share the batch file you created... Thanks ...

    tbrown622, Jun 29, 2009